C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Getting P31 ECU From Dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Steel Gray C63
Getting P31 ECU From Dealer

Let's all try to buy it for $3k as a dealer installed option and see if they react to the demand in a sensible way.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 S
Let us know how they respond.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
i'll take a tune for less $$. good luck though.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 PM

09 Steel Gray C63
But if they could sell a couple thousand and we keep our warranties, that would be a win/ win.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by AMGeez
But if they could sell a couple thousand and we keep our warranties, that would be a win/ win.
They don't want us to keep our warranties.
They'd rather show us the door when the M156 grenades due to the "alledged" cam/lifter defect--"oh you got a tune, fu<k you pay me."

Just my .02--good luck, keep us posted
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM

09 Steel Gray C63
It is probably a tough sales environment. To realize $3-$6m in revenue for something they've already developed (the ecu programming) might seem like a damn good idea.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Every ECU sold, every flash and reflash done has to be approved by MB(USA). Read some of the tech bulletins and you see how strict MB is with any type of work dealers do on these cars.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by cyberorth
Every ECU sold, every flash and reflash done has to be approved by MB(USA). Read some of the tech bulletins and you see how strict MB is with any type of work dealers do on these cars.
Aye, getting that way with most cars. Read an article once where they said there were 4-5 people in the world that understood certain aspects of the engine management and electrical systems in the M3. When a car comes in with a related problem, the tech simply sends the diagnostic data to BMW HQ where one of the few people respond with a fix to try. If it doesn't work they send other suggestions. It requires no independent thought or understanding of the system, they simply implement suggestions. It's similar with the GT-R where they have that roaming tech team that comes in when the computer's can't figure out what's wrong.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 AM

2012 c63 sedan
I want amg tune under warranty
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Certainly a win for us but not so much for them. After market tuners cannot afford the hours of real world testing that the factory can. Hence the factory cannot be sure no matter how dilligent the tuner is, if his product will not cause ill affects over a long period of time resulting in unexpected warranty repairs. The sales price of a MBz has it's estimated warranty cost down to a science and untested parts makes this analysis invalid. While AMG was independent MBZ would honor AMG modified cars as they had gone through an expensive complete certification process with MBZ. AMG had a manufacturers license in Germany and issued it's on DIN #. While several US companies have also made these arrangments (Roush for example), the German thought process does not lead them in this direction. They paid a significant sum for AMG and don't want to allow the aftermarket to duplicate the performance of a P31 option for a fraction of the cost.

As much as I am attracted to the duplicate ECU option, since a dealer has to sync it up, it opens up a can of worms (like why do you need to buy a new ECU in a car that is still underwarranty)

Last edited by DuaneC63; 11-02-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by black-clk500
They don't want us to keep our warranties.
They'd rather show us the door when the M156 grenades due to the "alledged" cam/lifter defect--"oh you got a tune, fu<k you pay me."

Just my .02--good luck, keep us posted
Just got an engine replaced and almost at my own expense.... They will try anything to void your warranty.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 AM

09 Steel Gray C63
All good reasons why it has to be an official, sanctioned tuning program from mb USA. They agree to treat the vehicles upgraded with p31 ecus just like any other p31 car they've sold (under the proposed arrangement). It's kind of like getting a second chance to have a large group of customers elect to install a pricey factory option. Attractive for every body. If they sold 1,000 upgraded ecus at $3,000 each, that's a lot of dough.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
3 million dollars to them aint a lot of money, thats the thing.

They made it exclusively for P31 and they will keep it that way.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
All good reasons why it has to be an official, sanctioned tuning program from mb USA. They agree to treat the vehicles upgraded with p31 ecus just like any other p31 car they've sold (under the proposed arrangement). It's kind of like getting a second chance to have a large group of customers elect to install a pricey factory option. Attractive for every body. If they sold 1,000 upgraded ecus at $3,000 each, that's a lot of dough.
I wonder if a non P31 without the hardened internals would have an issue with the P31 tune? That would be their excuse not to offer it if I were them even if it weren't a valid concern. Also, I thought the increased power of the P31 was not just from a tune but also engine components from the SLS. Maybe the tune wouldn't have a huge impact

I will be shocked if anyone convinces a dealer to do this.

Last edited by gthal; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
exactly. there's other stuff besides ecu tune to a p31 package. if you want p31 sell car and buy different one. only option.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I agree with most that this is very unlikely MB would agree to do this. Keep us informed.
Jeffield: May I ask what happened with your car? I thought an engine like ours was insanely expensive.
Many of us have tunes and this is the first I hear that our C63 engines may not be able to take the extra power.
Can anyone also expand on the "alledged" cam/lifter defect? First time I hear about it.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Do a search for "cam defect Mercedes" on Google and you will find a ton of information. I don't think threads that deal with it here last long.

I wonder if the "hardened internals" of the P31 package address or correct this issue?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by gthal
I wonder if a non P31 without the hardened internals would have an issue with the P31 tune? That would be their excuse not to offer it if I were them even if it weren't a valid concern. Also, I thought the increased power of the P31 was not just from a tune but also engine components from the SLS. Maybe the tune wouldn't have a huge impact

I will be shocked if anyone convinces a dealer to do this.
All of the non C class 63's of the past few years have had 500+ horsepower with the exact same internals as the non P31 C63's.

Selling a factory backed software upgrade to P31 specs, essentially a fully sanctioned tune would generate decent income but may create animosity with the customers who paid full retail for a P31 package and did not have this choice when purchasing. They are also sensitive to the perceived need to differentiate the upper echelon AMGs but that is now solved with the 55TT.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
lots of very good points.

i have only one thing to add. someone eluded to having to send off for info when the computer doesnt now how to fix something. very true. shoot, at the dealership i go to, they dont even know what p31 is. i was actually worried that they were going to accidentally flash the ecu to non p31 when i found this out. but now ive learned that the encoding in the ecu is read by the computer and no matter how incompetent the servicer is (and trust me.....they dont know s|-|it without that computer) they cant flash it any other way than the way it came.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emericr
Can anyone also expand on the "alledged" cam/lifter defect? First time I hear about it.
All I can say is there is a lawsuit that alledges a design flaw in the metallurgy used for cams/lifters that causes excessive wear to the cams resulting, potentially, in BOOM! That's all I can say before the IB and AMG henchmen come get me

Originally Posted by gthal
I wonder if the "hardened internals" of the P31 package address or correct this issue?
Negative sir. I wish they did, I'd have a few less gray hairs on my head.
According to my window sticker, it reads "AMG lightweight forged pistons, lightweight connecting rods, revised crankshaft, new engine management."

Nothing about cams or lifter mentioned.
The best advice people have given is to use 5W40 Mobile1, the dealers will use this on our cars anyway--there's endless debate on whether this does much, I won't go into it here--there is another MB forum with all this info, MBW is not the end all be all guys
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
All I can say is there is a lawsuit that alledges a design flaw in the metallurgy used for cams/lifters that causes excessive wear to the cams resulting, potentially, in BOOM! That's all I can say before the IB and AMG henchmen come get me

Negative sir. I wish they did, I'd have a few less gray hairs on my head.
According to my window sticker, it reads "AMG lightweight forged pistons, lightweight connecting rods, revised crankshaft, new engine management."

Nothing about cams or lifter mentioned.
The best advice people have given is to use 5W40 Mobile1, the dealers will use this on our cars anyway--there's endless debate on whether this does much, I won't go into it here--there is another MB forum with all this info, MBW is not the end all be all guys
+1. I think that the way MOST of us drive these cars we will NEVER see any of these issues. Granted we actually drive them and put the engine through its motions and not just garage queen it. BlackCLK I think you have a great car and wouldn't let it worry you or keep you up at night. Let your kids be the ones that give you gray hair
Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by hhughes1
All of the non C class 63's of the past few years have had 500+ horsepower with the exact same internals as the non P31 C63's.
I'm sure the non P31 engine could handle the tune as you suggest. I guess what I should have said is I would have to believe the upgraded internals would have some impact on the power output. Therefore, maybe just the tune wouldn't get the same results. Per Mercedes' website ... "Mercedes-AMG also offers the AMG Development Package, which gives the 2012 C63 AMG Coupe a total power output of 481 horsepower. This optional package uses forged pistons, connecting rods and lightweight crankshaft adopted from the Mercedes-AMG SLS gullwing model."

From what I have read in reviews, this also allows the engine to rev more freely, etc. Anyway, I have no idea what impact the internal changes would have on power but I can't imagine they would not have an impact in addition to the tuning for the P31.

Last edited by gthal; 11-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
+1. I think that the way MOST of us drive these cars we will NEVER see any of these issues. Granted we actually drive them and put the engine through its motions and not just garage queen it. BlackCLK I think you have a great car and wouldn't let it worry you or keep you up at night. Let your kids be the ones that give you gray hair
Thanks Zephyr, I don't know if I can agree with the garage queen statement, my car is babied quite a bit, but when she comes out, she always gets a full workout I've never even used the wipers on it, hahaha, I just can't believe I have 4200+ miles on the clock that fit my criteria for driving weather!

My kids are still a little young to give much headache, when my son or daughter wants an M3 some day, that will cause stress.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Thanks Zephyr, I don't know if I can agree with the garage queen statement, my car is babied quite a bit, but when she comes out, she always gets a full workout I've never even used the wipers on it, hahaha, I just can't believe I have 4200+ miles on the clock that fit my criteria for driving weather!

My kids are still a little young to give much headache, when my son or daughter wants an M3 some day, that will cause stress.
True true.....I fear two things, the day a boy comes knocking on the door for my daughter, and the day my son wants a 400+hp car....
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
True true.....I fear two things, the day a boy comes knocking on the door for my daughter, and the day my son wants a 400+hp car....
A big plus one on that!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting P31 ECU From Dealer