C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

My C63 is pinging....

Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
My C63 is pinging....

My 2009 C63 has 27k miles on it and a Eurocharged tune from around March of 2011. The car runs good but I've noticed pinging at part throttle and I'm not talking about just a little bit of pinging. When I got the car and it was stock I don't ever recall hearing any pinging.

I've read some issues about intake manifold bolts. My car has had the purge valve replaced previously. I'm running Chevron gas, though I tried Shell with the same results. The best I can get here is 91 Octane in California.

Tune or something else? I had exchanged some emails with Jerry previously and he offered to take a little timing out of the tune (according to him the spark map is stock on my ECU tune). I guess I could send the ECU back and have it flashed back to stock. If that fixes the issue then it must be tune related. If it continues to do it then it's probably something else, perhaps a little carbon but I drive the car pretty aggressively so it's not like it's not "exercised" here and there. I know Jerry has a newer version of the tune but if I need to take it into the dealer I'd rather the car be stock and the tune is really my only mod.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
I don't have any ideas, but what does pinging sound like? I'm curious now.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 PM

2009 C63 AMG
It's a rattling sound and once you know what preignition or detonation sounds like then it stands out like a sore thumb. Of course today I had a work friend in the car and was trying to get them to hear it and the damn thing would't ping. However it wasn't fully hot either so I don't know. I just know it's been going on for months and I have only put a hand full of miles on the car so now that I've been driving the car a bit more before winter sets in I'd like to get it fixed.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Read my thread here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ostco-gas.html
Old 11-03-2011, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
These cars have knock sensors and can retard the timing...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by unixadm
My 2009 C63 has 27k miles on it and a Eurocharged tune from around March of 2011. The car runs good but I've noticed pinging at part throttle and I'm not talking about just a little bit of pinging. When I got the car and it was stock I don't ever recall hearing any pinging.

I've read some issues about intake manifold bolts. My car has had the purge valve replaced previously. I'm running Chevron gas, though I tried Shell with the same results. The best I can get here is 91 Octane in California.

Tune or something else? I had exchanged some emails with Jerry previously and he offered to take a little timing out of the tune (according to him the spark map is stock on my ECU tune). I guess I could send the ECU back and have it flashed back to stock. If that fixes the issue then it must be tune related. If it continues to do it then it's probably something else, perhaps a little carbon but I drive the car pretty aggressively so it's not like it's not "exercised" here and there. I know Jerry has a newer version of the tune but if I need to take it into the dealer I'd rather the car be stock and the tune is really my only mod.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?
I agree. With a tune you are going to be pushing right to the edge.
You could try running some fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner through it. Then take it for a good run. Just be careful as the fuel system cleaner, a petroleum product, may cause detonation even more readily until its run through.
Overall, it seems it's just the nature of running a modified car on marginal gas if thats all thats available where you live.
I am not familiar with any manifold bolt issue you are talking about but I would expect some rough strange running if you were getting any manifold/vacuum leaks.
If after checking everything again and all is ok I guess you only have a few options;
-back off the tune
-find some better gas
-put some octane booster in each fill up
-slightly cooler thermostat
-water injection LOL!
?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Multispeed
I agree. With a tune you are going to be pushing right to the edge.
You could try running some fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner through it. Then take it for a good run. Just be careful as the fuel system cleaner, a petroleum product, may cause detonation even more readily until its run through.
Overall, it seems it's just the nature of running a modified car on marginal gas if thats all thats available where you live.
I am not familiar with any manifold bolt issue you are talking about but I would expect some rough strange running if you were getting any manifold/vacuum leaks.
If after checking everything again and all is ok I guess you only have a few options;
-back off the tune
-find some better gas
-put some octane booster in each fill up
-slightly cooler thermostat
-water injection LOL!
?
Would colder spark plugs be of any aid for pre-ignition issues when you are limited to 91 octane?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I run 91 Octane as that is pretty much all there is in Canada and have never had any detention.

The car should sense the knocking and retard the timing unless the tune has the timing so far advanced that the ECU can no longer compensate for this as it can only retard so much.

If you had a leaking intake gasket a CEL would be thrown as the leak would be after the MAF sensor. I just had this leaking IM gasket repaired on my car and a CEL was constantly on.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I will hear that sound for perhaps a half-minute after startup. I'm very light on the throttle for a few minutes until everything warms up a little. But yes, listening to that death rattle bothers me.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 AM

C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
I will hear that sound for perhaps a half-minute after startup. I'm very light on the throttle for a few minutes until everything warms up a little. But yes, listening to that death rattle bothers me.
Ahh... thats nice that you warm it up gently but whatever you are hearing is not detonation.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
I run 91 Octane as that is pretty much all there is in Canada and have never had any detention.

The car should sense the knocking and retard the timing unless the tune has the timing so far advanced that the ECU can no longer compensate for this as it can only retard so much.

If you had a leaking intake gasket a CEL would be thrown as the leak would be after the MAF sensor. I just had this leaking IM gasket repaired on my car and a CEL was constantly on.

Many Husky stations have 94.
On the other hand just about every vehicle I have owned had detonation with fuel from Fasgas. (stations are mostly in Central Alberta) I complained to them but they didn't care.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Ahh... thats nice that you warm it up gently but whatever you are hearing is not detonation.
It's detonation. When I accelerate under throttle the rattle is there. I'm not talking about a constant mechanical noise. At this juncture of car ownership I know what detonation is, but thanks anyway. I assume it goes away relatively quickly after the knock sensors do their job but perhaps my tune has something to do with what I experience.

Last edited by bhamg; 11-04-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 AM

C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
I am confused what you were saying. I replied to your stating that you got detonation on startup and 30 seconds of warmup of a cold engine not driving or under load. That would not be detonation.

So what you mean is that accelerating with a hot engine you hear it?
That makes sense.
Just clarifying.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Not very important but yes, I hear detonation as I accelerate away from the garage immediately after startup.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Many Husky stations have 94.
On the other hand just about every vehicle I have owned had detonation with fuel from Fasgas. (stations are mostly in Central Alberta) I complained to them but they didn't care.

So hard to find a Husky and they don't have airmiles ha ha. But I do try to go out of the way and use the 94 when I can.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM

RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
Have been through all this with my ML63.

Its most likely a carbon build up, not a tune related issue as it would have been pinging the second you drove out of the shop after getting it tuned.

I had my engine cleaned up but it started pinging about 2000 miles afterwards. Happens only at 4000rpm when you have your foot into it.

Weistec oil air separator is on its way and hopefully this will cure it.

Other than that, I know Sonny @ Marranos has developed a special tune to overcome it.

User RuuDV has it on his car and says it works great.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 AM

2011 E63, 2008 ML63
PLEASSSSSSE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!! IM BEGGING YOU GUYS!!!!

please check my thread out!!!!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...s-pinging.html
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
Originally Posted by schmick325
Have been through all this with my ML63.

Its most likely a carbon build up, not a tune related issue as it would have been pinging the second you drove out of the shop after getting it tuned.

I had my engine cleaned up but it started pinging about 2000 miles afterwards. Happens only at 4000rpm when you have your foot into it.

Weistec oil air separator is on its way and hopefully this will cure it.

Other than that, I know Sonny @ Marranos has developed a special tune to overcome it.

User RuuDV has it on his car and says it works great.
did the oil air separator fix the problem?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML 350 Bluetec
If you have detonation you have a significant issue, the potential is there to damage piston ring lands and piston crowns as well. Not a good look.

Someone explained it as hitting the top of the piston with a hammer. It can happen due to lower octane rating of the fuel, running a bit lean (injector blockage) or timing too advanced. The knock sensor will cause the ECU to retard timing but if the base map is too advanced you won't be protected.

Sorry to say that you are potentially doing damage to the engine, the quality of the internals may buy you some time but you won't know the point you have used up the resilience of the components.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 AM

C63s AMG W205
I once cured the same problem on my audi TT by running above 5000rpm on the highway for 40 minutes on a full tank of the highest rating octane i could find. Then run the engine freqently to higher rpm on a daily basis.

Last edited by YICS NZ; 12-04-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Since the car does not have a distributer to adjust timing, of course it is in the tune that is causing your issue. Go back to stock tune and listen, no ping. 90% of issues you guys have with an AMG is when you let someone mess with the factory tune. One must remember that the aftermarket tune given is for a specific way of driving, but rarely considers that the car is not run WOT all the time or started cold sometimes. IMO
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
Since the car does not have a distributer to adjust timing, of course it is in the tune that is causing your issue. Go back to stock tune and listen, no ping. 90% of issues you guys have with an AMG is when you let someone mess with the factory tune. One must remember that the aftermarket tune given is for a specific way of driving, but rarely considers that the car is not run WOT all the time or started cold sometimes. IMO
The tunes people run are mostly stolen from each other, only a few companies actually make the tune the rest if BS marketing. We have had countless topics in the past on this, I even posted that I have an email from a well known tuner at the time who even strait up told me he didn't do the tunes it was all from another person who they pay royalty to.

Anyways
The tune that 90% of us run is simply a tune that unlocks what the E63 makes stock with the motor, if you look at the before and after dyno on a C63 from 0-4,500 its nearly identical to the E63 motor but then its cut by about 80% power from 4,500rpm on which is their factory de tune to sell more E63's since it has more power. Now the after tunes match them up they meet up fairly well with an E63 stock, suddenly you get a 20% or more power jump past 4,500 RPM.

Point being the tunes on these cars are very very very conservative, as its shown multiple times of PP vs Tuned C63 which is a drivers race as both are near equal. So its not like a after market tune is pushing much harder than the factor tune. This motor has a lot to go.

It would really hope if the OP posted a video, these engines make a lot of sounds and its weekly we have topics about pining, I live in a state which has max 91 gas and 10% of its ethanol in the winter. I have accidentally when very tired filled up and entire 16 gallons of 87 fuel with 10% ethanol, and I have a tune also, at no point did I have engine knocking I even floored it and drove it normally just for the heck of it. Yes it did suffer a massive power loss but other than that ran fine, no pining no rough idle or jerking beyond what the car normally does.

Point being this car has a near crate motor in it, its not 100% smooth like a traditional MB engine, even they ping also and I have always been told its the lifters design, and when its cold out or oil has not warmed up to operating temps they will make sounds.

To the OP if you can post a video it would be great, but it sounds like more than the normal pinging at idle.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM

C63s AMG W205
Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
The tune that 90% of us run is simply a tune that unlocks what the E63 makes stock with the motor, if you look at the before and after dyno on a C63 from 0-4,500 its nearly identical to the E63 motor but then its cut by about 80% power from 4,500rpm on which is their factory de tune to sell more E63's since it has more power. Now the after tunes match them up they meet up fairly well with an E63 stock, suddenly you get a 20% or more power jump past 4,500 RPM. Point being the tunes on these cars are very very very conservative, as its shown multiple times of PP vs Tuned C63 which is a drivers race as both are near equal. So its not like a after market tune is pushing much harder than the factor tune. This motor has a lot to.
Thanks for the insight! If thats true that most tunes only run an E63 stock map, i will need to find a local dyno tuner to bring out most of its true potential. Anyone has an idear of how much more gaining?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Can you upload a video?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
my boss complained about this shortly after I put the EC tune in his new C63. Not sure what it is caused by.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My C63 is pinging....