Video: Fifth Gear Tests Audi RS5 vs Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Video: Fifth Gear Tests Audi RS5 vs Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG Coupe

"Hey Guys....the track is wet....let's take out a 4WD coupe vs a rear drive coupe and see which is quicker..."

one of the fu<ken stupidest tests yet

ps...Tiff is a douche

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...=1255730986001

Last edited by callmiro; 11-05-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Saw it yesterday. The RS5's quattro system had the advantage in the wet. It would of been a whole different story if the C63's rear tires were able to hook up and gain traction. Mercedes, please put on some wider tires on this car. Thanks for posting. That link doesn't seem to be working so here's the youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0OU3vmCl7I
Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
http://fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/v...s-benz-c63-amg
Old 11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
win is a win, cant pick ur battles
Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
I would expect the RS5 to be the faster car on a track with its quattro system. It would take a very skilled driver in the C63 to keep up givem the C63s torque and anorexic rear tires. Outside of rain and snow, I would still take the C63 any day regardless as to whether it is easier to drive quickly on a track.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Not dissing the RS5, but 95% of these cars won't see a single day at the track anyway. Other cars in this class (M3,IS-F,RS5) are all remarkable in their own respect. I'd take the C63 as a DD. Power is now. No need to rev the engine to get the most out of it.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Very often I keep thinking about these kinds of test and it makes me wonder if the fift gear editors/producers are stupid or if they get paid to be biased in favor of Audi.
I am saying this because the C63 has the worst formula for keeping itself straight on a road course(skinny tires,no rear LSD,RWD, tons of torque and hp), they make it worst by throwing it into a wet road...

To me it is clear, there is an advantage for the Audi's AWD. I know almost no one that races on wet roads and that comes from a guy that owned 11 AWD sports cars(your truly)

Last edited by C63newdude; 11-05-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Very often I keep thinking about these kinds of test and it makes me wonder if the ift gear editors/producers are stupid or if they get paid to be biased in favor of Audi.
I am saying this because the C63 has the worst formula for keeping itself stright on a road course(skinny tires, tons of torque and hp), they make it worst by throwing it into a wet road...

To me it is clear, there is an adavantage for the Audi's AWD. I know almost no one that races on wet roads and that comes from a guy that owned 11 AWD sports cars(your truly)
I'm speculating here, but, I think Audi has a real incentive to do whatever they can to get auto mags to give their RS5 positive reviews. This car has received a shellacking (not sure if that's how you spell that word) since it's release, from it's "wooden" handling to its over priced options.

The RS5 has a lot of ground to make up given the media's response to its overall package. And Audi can't be pleased with this outcome. So, perhaps Audi leaned on this reviewer to set up a an event which is obviously favorable to its design.

Hey, driving in wet conditions is part of life, so props to the RS5 for a good showing, but this test is pure propoganda IMO.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
So, was that a PP-equipped C63? I couldn't tell exactly, but it looked like the steering wheel had the alcantara.

Back to the comparison -- lets face it, the Merc is not designed to be a track king. To these great professional drivers the C63 is a big toy: it has a huge engine, oversteers well, has skinny rear tires and great breaks.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I'm speculating here, but, I think Audi has a real incentive to do whatever they can to get auto mags to give their RS5 positive reviews. This car has received a shellacking (not sure if that's how you spell that word) since it's release, from it's "wooden" handling to its over priced options.

The RS5 has a lot of ground to make up given the media's response to its overall package. And Audi can't be pleased with this outcome. So, perhaps Audi leaned on this reviewer to set up a an event which is obviously favorable to its design.

Hey, driving in wet conditions is part of life, so props to the RS5 for a good showing, but this test is pure propoganda IMO.
+1
Old 11-06-2011, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 ///Amg
great looking c63 though, take it over rs5 anyday
Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
Well they are in UK and they don't get to control the weather, or the time they get the cars.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM

335i
Originally Posted by callmiro
"Hey Guys....the track is wet....let's take out a 4WD coupe vs a rear drive coupe and see which is quicker..."
they did the same sort of thing with the RS6 and the W212 E63... regardless the E63 was cited for its superior handling even in the rain.

it's the UK, when do they not have a rainy day?

Originally Posted by callmiro
ps...Tiff is a douche
better tiff than clarkson imo!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I enjoyed the vid. Don't let the common occurrence of rain in England and the fact that the C63 lost to the RS5 mess some of you up. Those are both great cars.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
lol...and guess who clarkson and the old stig (ben) say they most respect...Tiff.

Callmiro....as others say, you can't pick your battles. On any given day the track is going to favor someone.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
The track looked alot dryer when the Audi did its hot lap and when the C63 did its lap the track looked pretty wet.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM

in circles
If I wanted a competitive track car in stock form, I wouldn't have gotten the C63.

As a DD, I'm sure the Audi is just as great as the C63 (and possibly better depending on geographical locations), but to me it's just so boring even when being driven at the limit.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by chuthis
If I wanted a competitive track car in stock form, I wouldn't have gotten the C63.

As a DD, I'm sure the Audi is just as great as the C63 (and possibly better depending on geographical locations), but to me it's just so boring even when being driven at the limit.

The extra excitement of a C63 makes it a BETTER car as a DD in my books. There have been two reviews which comment that the C63 is a better DD than even the M3 (which is a much better car than the Audi in all respects by a wide margin IMO) because it is "more fun, more of the time." A car that is exceptionally fun just tooling around town that allows a few passengers and a couple of sets of golf clubs is a DD winner in my books. The M3 was this car for me and the C63 will be so as well but even better because of the torque on tap.

Yes, the Audi might be better in certain climates (i.e. snow) but that is no issue in reality. I live in Canada and we get lots of snow. Good winter tires, common sense and the fact that roads are cleared within hours make RWD cars year round friendly.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
The more I think about it the stupider the vid is, who the hell does drifts and power slides when racing for time (outside from rally), this was just a show.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
The more I think about it the stupider the vid is, who the hell does drifts and power slides when racing for time (outside from rally), this was just a show.
On the timed portion the C63 had minimal drifting and sliding. On the warm up lap the car was intentionally driven for visual effect.

The timed lap starts at 2:55 into the video.

Last edited by GBlansten; 11-06-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
rs5 is beautiful. audi really got the coupe right with that car. unlike the accord v8 coupe mb released.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM

2012 C63 Coupe P31
I don't see why anyone would be surprised or upset at this comparison. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I decided to buy the C63. I wanted a car that in daily driving scenarios is just a beast and will eat up most other cars if the situation should arise. This car has shown time and again that although its very performance oriented its not a track car at heart. Sure it can keep up with most cars around the track because of its amazing low end torque and when it comes to a straight line will just run away from them. But its a rear wheel drive on tires that are too small. I like that its tail happy and has one of the best exhaust sounds of any car out there, but if I was looking for a track car for weekend racing the Benz wouldnt be my choice because of the modifications you'd have to do to really get it to perform. The only complaint I have is how most of these "comparison tests" are carried out. Lets take these cars out in traffic and drive them to and from work for a day then maybe out of the city for a little highway drive and see which one handles best under those conditions...because for me that would be much more relevant then who can get around a race track with the quickest time.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by CK17
I don't see why anyone would be surprised or upset at this comparison. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I decided to buy the C63. I wanted a car that in daily driving scenarios is just a beast and will eat up most other cars if the situation should arise. This car has shown time and again that although its very performance oriented its not a track car at heart. Sure it can keep up with most cars around the track because of its amazing low end torque and when it comes to a straight line will just run away from them. But its a rear wheel drive on tires that are too small. I like that its tail happy and has one of the best exhaust sounds of any car out there, but if I was looking for a track car for weekend racing the Benz wouldnt be my choice because of the modifications you'd have to do to really get it to perform. The only complaint I have is how most of these "comparison tests" are carried out. Lets take these cars out in traffic and drive them to and from work for a day then maybe out of the city for a little highway drive and see which one handles best under those conditions...because for me that would be much more relevant then who can get around a race track with the quickest time.
Well said.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by CK17
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
Am I reading this right the RS5 is $111,000 US!!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rket-cars.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Video: Fifth Gear Tests Audi RS5 vs Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG Coupe