C63 Expenses?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 BMW M3
Question C63 Expenses?

Hey guys,
As I'm preparing to take delivery of my C63 coupe, I'm wondering if you can shed some light on the expenses of owning one, such as:

Scheduled maintenance (every 10k miles) = $400 (quoted from the dealer)
Brake and brake pad service = $2,000 (quoted from the dealer)
Front tire replacement (every ?k-?k miles) = $???
Rear tire replacement (every ?k-?k miles) = $???

Of course the BMW dealership I normally deal with made it sound like the C63 is extremely expensive to maintain. I have to admit it was nice not paying a dime for anything with my last two BMWs ('07 335 and 09' M3), so I'm curious what I'm in store for with the C63. What else am I missing?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by frostc63
Hey guys,
As I'm preparing to take delivery of my C63 coupe, I'm wondering if you can shed some light on the expenses of owning one, such as:

Of course the BMW dealership I normally deal with made it sound like the C63 is extremely expensive to maintain. I have to admit it was nice not paying a dime for anything with my last two BMWs ('07 335 and 09' M3), so I'm curious what I'm in store for with the C63. What else am I missing?

Thanks! :)
BMW’s ‘free’ maintenance was a marketing coup.

Note Michelin’s Pilot Super Sport is slightly less expensive than the PS2. :)
Old 11-13-2011, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
They roll it into the price of the car. A company like BMW won't do something that'll make it lose money. Just a marketing ploy.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 PM

2009 BMW M3
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
They roll it into the price of the car. A company like BMW won't do something that'll make it lose money. Just a marketing ploy.
I have heard that and can see why they would do it that way. To add to my original topic, what isn't covered by Mercedes in addition to what I listed?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Hey guys,

Thanks!
I also had a 07 BMW 335i Coupe that I purchased new back in May 2007 and I was also "intrigued "about BMW's "fantastic maintenance deal" but I then realized that you aren't really saving much.
The oil change interval are at 15000 miles, aren't they? then the brake pads might perfectly last up to 40,000 miles but in the worst case scenario they might have to replace it once. Just about anybody can do a brake pad job. The brake pads don't cost much to them.

I doubt you will break any belts on the first 40000 miles. In my book you are saving maybe $1000-$1500 tops on their "maintenace deal" ater that is when it comes expensive(replacing rotors, timing belts, High fuel pressure pumps, etc).

The AMGs also have a extra price tag when it comes to maintenance, just like the Ms from BMW. You are coming to an arena of expensive cars to own, just face it.

or the most part you will just have to do tires and oil changes. Tires are cheap, about $200 or maybe less (each tire) if you go for a cheap brand and oil changes are your average prices. I used to do my syntethic il changes in all my cars with some military disccounts and coupons but I realized that the oils are just expensive and wasn't worth my time anymore.

The brakes are more expensive than $2000. I know my dealer quoted me $3800 but they asumed I am going to replace my rotors which I am not. As crazy as it sounds I will turn my rotors at least once before I have to replace them and I will do my own brake pads.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 PM
FBG

2011 C63
Operating Costs

What is insurance for the Coupe? Much difference than the Sedan?

I just changed my rear tires at the dealer. Got about 13,000 miles out of them and they charged me 800 bucks.

The service A was about 280.00.

I figure that I am not going to scrimp on anything or try to do anything my self. It goes to the dealer for everything and I am prepared to pay the premium.

If I was'nt living in Hawaii I suspect that my operating costs would be lower. All in all it is not much more per year than my V8 XC90.

The car is fantastically more expensive to drive than a normal car but is worth it to me. I could not imagine driving anything else and I feel like a million bucks every time I drive by a guy my age in a prius or some other dull and souless econobox.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 AM

2009 BMW M3
I agree that the associated costs are well worth it. I was just curious how much more I should anticipate spending on a C63 vs my current M3.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Do the oil every 5k. You can do the inbetween ones and let the dealer do the 10K ones to keep all your warranty records nice and clean. Brake fluid flush every other year also. "A" service at a dealer was $240.00.
Since brakes are a normal wear item and not under warranty, find a good indi shop to do them. Usually 30%-40% less than the dealer.
Tires another wear item. Rears you're lucky to get 10K out of. Fronts might go 20K but you'll wear the outer edges off first before you hit the wear bars.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
C63's are not extremely expensive to maintain.
The main thing I would worry about is rear tires.

BTW why would the dealer charge you $400 for maintenance every 10k miles?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Because that is what dealers do... service is where they make their money, not on the sale of the vehicles. I will not fault them for trying to run a business and make a profit, but I will also not necessarily help them

They have made working and doing regular maintenance on our vehicle very easy to do. Except for transmission fluid changes, you can easily reduce the operating costs of your car quite significantly. Hell, I have an excellent relationship with my parts dep at the dealer, I get around 9 quarts of oil for around $50, M1 0W40 (although I may switch to 5W.. same price).

Brakes are extremely easy, a $50 pressure bleeder, takes about 10 minutes to completely flush out the fluids (I have not needed to change the pads yet). The big time consumer is jacking the car up and down...

Honestly, save your money for the major services ($570 for transmission fluid change at 39k) and what not, and do the 10k ones yourself. As another said, I generally change my oil around every 5k, but I drive it hard.. like I stole it