C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Comparing the Nissan GT-R with the C63

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Comparing the Nissan GT-R with the C63

I finally had a chance to drive a GT-R this weekend (2009 model). I was impressed! From a performance standpoint, it does pretty much everything the C63 does, except better. Faster, and more grip. And I hear that the 2012 model is significantly improved.

The areas where the C63 is superior are having more personality, more usable back seat, more refinement, and of course lower cost. The GT-R does have somewhat of a video game feel, and arguably it's too easy to drive fast, so it impedes development of driving skill, but it's still a fun car.

My overall conclusion is that the GT-R is impressive, and most guys who like the C63 will also like the GT-R. I can see replacing my C63 with a GT-R one day.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a typical Yelp review. LOL. Hope you had fun!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
I would still take C63 over GTR on any given day. GTR sounds **** compared to little c
Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Nice review---- coming from an owner and an owner of the 63 engine your points based on a limited amount of driving are pretty spot on.

The 2012 is an improvement over the 2009-2011 years and the 2013 is gonna be even better than the 2012- it should be in the 10's stock.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Djovovic63
I would still take C63 over GTR on any given day. GTR sounds **** compared to little c
Clearly you haven't heard a GT-R with an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM

12 M156 C204
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez
+1 and i am assuming he hasn't driven one yet
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by aznkuja328
I prefer the C63 over the GT-R as well, and yes, I've driven several.

The OP is spot on though, the GT-R destroys the C63 in performance, and it's so easy to drive. I've seen guys with little track experience set FTD's on the roadcourse after 3 hours. It's ridiculous.

To me, that's boring. It's all subjective, everyone's looking for something different when it comes to cars.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by aznkuja328

Thats the WHOLE POINT. It sounds badass straight from Stuggart when you buy it from the dealer. You don't have to rice it out just to hear some beefy goodness...
Old 11-14-2011, 03:23 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by rage2
I prefer the C63 over the GT-R as well, and yes, I've driven several.

The OP is spot on though, the GT-R destroys the C63 in performance, and it's so easy to drive. I've seen guys with little track experience set FTD's on the roadcourse after 3 hours. It's ridiculous.

To me, that's boring. It's all subjective, everyone's looking for something different when it comes to cars.
When the computer does the driving for you .... turning it off is a different story. A friend of mine had a GT-R, went to the track, after 2 laps turned off all the driving aids and ...... had a BIG off in a fast right hander.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by SMP
When the computer does the driving for you .... turning it off is a different story. A friend of mine had a GT-R, went to the track, after 2 laps turned off all the driving aids and ...... had a BIG off in a fast right hander.
I've never driven the GT-R with VDC off. They weren't my cars, and the owners didn't let me turn it off for fear of losing their warranty. Not sure of the details of WHY you'd lose warranty driving with it off though.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by rage2
I've never driven the GT-R with VDC off. They weren't my cars, and the owners didn't let me turn it off for fear of losing their warranty. Not sure of the details of WHY you'd lose warranty driving with it off though.
Because Nissan doesn't wand to be held liable for you wrapping yourself around something. The car gives you it's best performance with all of it's electrical nannies on.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 PM

2005 C55, 2006 Ram 2500 MegaCab diesel, sold 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, sold 87 190e-16v, sold 97 e420
As much of a benz fan as I am, black series included, there is not a single benz that comes anywhere close to matching a GTR at the track. See the latest video that top gear put out of the 2013 GTR cornering speed compared to a GT3 and F528.

We should be happy enough if the C63 has enough tire installed by the factory to easily best an M3!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by kent426
As much of a benz fan as I am, black series included, there is not a single benz that comes anywhere close to matching a GTR at the track. See the latest video that top gear put out of the 2013 GTR cornering speed compared to a GT3 and F528.

We should be happy enough if the C63 has enough tire installed by the factory to easily best an M3!
That's one thing I hope MB solves for the next gen C63 or whatever it's going to be called. 255's are anemic.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
As much as I love the C63, I would trade it in for a GT-R.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Djovovic63
AMG's are well known for the sound they produce, but I have heard alot of great sounding GT-R's.

This one in particular sounds amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih1A5xWVNyc
Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I was seriously shopping for a used GT-R a few months ago. I was looking all over the country. I did test drive one on a fun back road and I really loved the power and the transmission's seemless shifting. The car is scary fast.

I needed more interior room than the car offered. I was literally sitting in the back seat measuring leg room so that I can determine if my mother-in-law could fit. Ah, the joys of marriage... I found that she could fit, but anyone over 5'9" would have to duck their heads a little because the rear glass is really low.

I felt very confined in the driver's seat. But, I love the GT-R and I could easily make it work for me as a daily driver. That said, the car's transmission felt jerky for around-town driving. But, that's the trade-off for it's super performance otherwise.

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having run-flats, which are heavy, due to the lack of a spare.

What ultimately led me to not purchase one were the following reasons:

1) Most of the GT-R's that I looked at, including their available service history were not maintained to my liking. I found that the norm in the used car market was to see examples that had gone between 5,000 and 11,000 miles between oil changes.

2) Owners that I spoke to were reluctant to get the service done at the recommended intervals. New tires and brakes? Forget about it: "those are just recommendations from Nissan to make you spend more money," were common remarks from sellers. Also, if you are looking at a 15,000+ miles GT-R, you have to be prepared for new brakes and tires which will cost you over 4K. That's a chunk to factor in. And if you want a GT-R that has more miles than that, you're potentially buying a car that was beat on for some time.

3) Nissan dealerships are uncomfortable selling these "high" price vehicles. They guard their GT-R stashes like they are crack and they deal in them like they are the end-all-be-all, because to them, they are just that. They are the flagship model and often I felt they were uncomfortable dealing with them because they didn't know much about the model. The Nissan dealerships shell out big money (for their normal operations) and become almost emotionally attached to the used GT-R's that they are selling.

4) Well-maintained GT-R's command a premium because the sellers know their cars are special compared with the used and abused GT-R's that are out there.

5) Many MY09's had transmission replacements. Many MY09 transmission were fine, but enough of them failed that it becomes a huge risk when buying used with an expiring warranty.

6) Because of the tsunami in Japan, the used GT-R market became even more intense and it was really not a buyers' market.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by Sincity
Sounds like a typical Yelp review. LOL. Hope you had fun!
My head is still spinning!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche Cayenne
There's no comparison really. I'll take the GT-R every day of the week. I have no need for the practicality of my E-Class (99% of the time it's just me and the gf in the car). The GT-R is big enough to fit my golf clubs in the trunk. In fact I've already made my mind up.. I want to buy the updated GT-R now.. BUT with the details of the March '12 updated version I can't decide whether to buy now or hold off for another 4 months for the new one.

PS: I think the exhaust sounds great (even stock). Anyone who says it sounds **** probably hasn't heard one in person (Youtube does nothing for the exhaust sound)
Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by diggo
There's no comparison really. I'll take the GT-R every day of the week. I have no need for the practicality of my E-Class (99% of the time it's just me and the gf in the car). The GT-R is big enough to fit my golf clubs in the trunk. In fact I've already made my mind up.. I want to buy the updated GT-R now.. BUT with the details of the March '12 updated version I can't decide whether to buy now or hold off for another 4 months for the new one.

PS: I think the exhaust sounds great (even stock). Anyone who says it sounds **** probably hasn't heard one in person (Youtube does nothing for the exhaust sound)
I also really like the sound stock and they just get better when you up the boost and put on aftermarket exhaust. I also love the way they look.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez
Which is your favorite, exhaust-wise: C63 (stock) vs GT-R (aftermarket exhaust)?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I really don't understand the point of comparing these two particular cars?? They offer completely different driving experiences and are in two different performance categories. Visually they have nothing in common as most of the C63's out there are sedans. Both are great at what they do but they were not targeted at the same market segment.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche Cayenne
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I also really like the sound stock and they just get better when you up the boost and put on aftermarket exhaust. I also love the way they look.
HKS exhaust is beautiful! I'm ordering mine in Ivory Pearl.. the dealer already has a brand new one sitting on the lot. Don't know if I can hold off until March!!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I really don't understand the point of comparing these two particular cars?? They offer completely different driving experiences and are in two different performance categories. Visually they have nothing in common as most of the C63's out there are sedans. Both are great at what they do but they were not targeted at the same market segment.
That's all very true, but what's a C63-owner supposed to compare his car to? I think it's too limiting to think only M3 and RS5, although that's the target group.

When it comes down to it, most C63 owners understand that our cars are not the best canyon carvers and they're too heavy to achieve supercar-level-straight-line-performance, but our cars are kind of tweeners in that they do handle pretty well and they are unusualy quick in the straight line.

I think when you have an M156 in your car, it puts you in a unique circumstance of being able to hang with a lot of cars.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by diggo
HKS exhaust is beautiful! I'm ordering mine in Ivory Pearl.. the dealer already has a brand new one sitting on the lot. Don't know if I can hold off until March!!
Nice! Sounds awesome.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by SMP
The GTR literally defies the laws of physics thanks mostly to computer intervention.....much like modern era fighters with unflyable control surfaces that will drop out of the air if the redundant computer systems were removed.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing the Nissan GT-R with the C63