C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Softer than average windshields?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Softer than average windshields?

hey guys and gals, sorry if this has been covered before.

I was wondering if any of you have had problems with stone chips/ pitting or cracking of your windscreen. I've had the car a little under 6 months now and have picked up 3 chips. I've never experienced this problem before on other vehicles. Is it a known fault or do I have a duff screen?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2011, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Happens quite often if you are not careful. Try to keep distance from bikers, trucks, or big cars when behind them and use caution on the track.

I don't think this is a C63 issue per say but more a driver's issue....? So just be careful if you don't like rock chips on your front grille or windshield. Also another thing, rear tires are sticky and they don't stick well, they'll pick up any dirt or gravel and shoot it into your rear bumper too.

Last edited by Merc-Skycap; 11-16-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by CymruAMG

I was wondering if any of you have had problems with stone chips/ pitting or cracking of your windscreen. I've had the car a little under 6 months now and have picked up 3 chips. I've never experienced this problem before on other vehicles. Is it a known fault or do I have a duff screen?

Thanks in advance
There was a discussion of this some time ago on the AMG PL. As I recall, and I could be mistaken, the glass is softer as a "safety feature." whether this was dictated by some soft minded bureaucrat who gets driven to work or takes the tube is highly possible.

My CPO G came with the sparkles standard, wonderful at night with approaching traffic. a real safety feature!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
my 2011 c63's windshield took a beating but you could hardly tell. there were some tiny chips if you looked really close but im not complaining after some of the major smacks it took.

i live in an area were natural gas drilling is rampit and the water trucks come off of those rock layered pad sites and start throwing rocks all over the road.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by grane
There was a discussion of this some time ago on the AMG PL. As I recall, and I could be mistaken, the glass is softer as a "safety feature." whether this was dictated by some soft minded bureaucrat who gets driven to work or takes the tube is highly possible.

My CPO G came with the sparkles standard, wonderful at night with approaching traffic. a real safety feature!
The same thing happened to my windshield in a very short period of time. Instead of any noticeable chips, I had thousands of tiny imperfections that were invisible at mid day but blinding when the sun was low in the sky. My insurance company agreed to replace it with $0 out of pocket.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM

C63 AMG

Thanks in advance
Ok here is my experience. In my C55 I cracked 3 windshields. One of them cracked and then split after I made a sharp turn. All of the cracks in my C55 were from stones probably less than a quarter size. I say that because of the impact that they left. I use to always think that the glass in the C55 was soft. They all split after relatively small hits. I have already crack one in my C63 which I replaced. The rock that hit my C63 was between the size of a golf ball and baseball. It came out of a box and I thought it was a piece of foam because it seem to be floating. Well once it hit I found out what it was. I hit it going about 65. I think if it would have been coming at me instead of floating in the air it would have gone through. Based on this I would say that MB made some improvements on the glass going into the C63. I would have been eating glass had this happened in my C55. At least thats my experience. The glass on my C55 was a different story. It was soft glass.

On a side note. I talking to my brother about the windshields on both cars. (C55 & C63). They seem to be magnets for rocks. We think maybe it has something to so with ride height and position of windshield. I know this doesn't make any sense. But my AMGs are the only cars I have had a problem with cracked windshields and stones hitting them on top of that. Coincidence I guess.

Last edited by melmanc55; 11-16-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
Both me and a friend have a c63 and both of our windshields have a lot of chips in them, I do think it might be softer but man it is so annoying to see those chips when the sun hits the windshield. I had the front of my car clear bra'ed so its fully protected from chips there but had I known you could clear bra your windshield, I would have definitely done so, if you can, I would definitely recommend it!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I got a chip in mine, that was repaired by Safelite. I really do think that these windshields are as strong as the one in my E63. That windshield has taken multiple hard strikes, before finally giving up the ghost.
To to make matters worse you can still see where it was hit.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 AM

2010 C63
Is it too soft, or too hard? I always thought it was the later, as I would think soft glass would not chip as much (it would give a little). Anyway, I have had several M-Bs, some with PPG glass and some with Pilkington. The Pilkington glass is much, much more resistant to chips, etc. even when on the same kind of car as the PPG (both W203s) and being driven similarly.

My C63 has PPG glass, and it pits and chips like the prior PPG windshields I have had. Not sure if Pilkington makes OEM glass for W204, but I would suggest looking into that if you decide to replace a PPG windshield.