C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Where to place the radar detector?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Panamera S
Where to place the radar detector?

I am planning to purchase a V1 or Passport 9500 xi soon and wanting to get some inputs on where to place the radar detector if I am not planning for a custom hidden installation.

There are 3 general choices:
a) Sun Visor Clip on
b) Windshield with suction coup
c) Dashboard mount

I am sure they all work fine but what happen if you get pull over by a cop. Do you unplug it and put it away before the cop comes up to your window? Usually, if the cop sees a radar detector in your car, he/she will give you a ticket with or without reasons.

Also, if a cop follows you from behind with the radar gun off, he can usually see the RED or Blue lights of your radar ON. They usually give the driver hell for having a radar in the car. I was pulled over by a ghost police car once and gave me hell about the radar and speeding (10 miles over in a 55 zone).

thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
C63
I installed my V1 using my old Lexus Mount and drilled the bracket to the housing cover. Then i ran the wires under the roof lining and door lining to the 12v in the glove box. It looks clean and sits just high enough.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by zhecks
I am planning to purchase a V1 or Passport 9500 xi soon and wanting to get some inputs on where to place the radar detector if I am not planning for a custom hidden installation.

There are 3 general choices:
a) Sun Visor Clip on
b) Windshield with suction coup
c) Dashboard mount

I am sure they all work fine but what happen if you get pull over by a cop. Do you unplug it and put it away before the cop comes up to your window? Usually, if the cop sees a radar detector in your car, he/she will give you a ticket with or without reasons.

Also, if a cop follows you from behind with the radar gun off, he can usually see the RED or Blue lights of your radar ON. They usually give the driver hell for having a radar in the car. I was pulled over by a ghost police car once and gave me hell about the radar and speeding (10 miles over in a 55 zone).

thanks in advance
i personally have a passport 9500ix and i love it.

edit: you have a zr1, a 911, and an m3 and you're just NOW getting one of these?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Nice work Killswitch very professional. I also couldn't find a rear view mirror mounting bracket that fits a C63. I ran the power cord exactly as you did into the 12v in the glove box. I tried to find a place for add a fuse but all the open slots were always hot and any of the switched used slots wouldn't fit the add a fuse. Detectors are legal in California however it is illegal to mount anything to the windshield (even though that's were every body puts their navi). I mounted mine with the visor mount but you have to place something between the visor and headliner or the detector will be pointing at the front of you hood. I would not try to take the detector down while you're being pulled over unless you'd like the office to approach your car with his gun drawn. With tinted rear glass your detector should "see" him long before he gets close enough to see through your rear glass. You can alway get the Valentine remote control box that turns off the lights in the detector.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Hmmm…. these are all reasons for a stealth install. It does not take that much more work in reality. With portable detectors, you can disassemble and place in the headliner (don't get me started about Laser Warning… which is bogus anyhow). OR just get a 9500ix and be done with it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
z06
Check out:

http://www.radar-mirror.com/

They did a stealth install with a V1 in a c63
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by golfinz
Check out:

http://www.radar-mirror.com/

They did a stealth install with a V1 in a c63
This is great work, just very pricey!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
On the E55 I put my V1 just to the left of the rear view mirror, as high up as possible. It is hardwires to fused 12V. No cord, and even with sun visor down, the rear facing detector is exposed. Saved me many times, including this morning
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I did a hardwire install using the suction cups hre. Scroll down to my posts:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...detectors.html