C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Crazy drivers (Ranting)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
Crazy drivers (Ranting)

Im waiting for my wheel to be replace at a dealer so I have time to write this tought. I'm not sure if it is just driving the c63 or other drivers expecting me to drive fast all the time. I consider myself a considerate driver and I try my best not to put other drivers in an awkward situation. I was heading S of 405 this morning and I merged in the fast lane very clear of cars behind. A few minutes later I see an Acura TL behind me tail gating. Now, mostly, I drive just right, not overly fast and not slow, at this point about 73mph (70 speed limit). I ignore him and was just waiting for him to overtake on my right. He waits and waits then all of a sudden he pulls an aggressive passing maneuver to my left in the carpool lane going over the double yellow lines. Which I thought was very unsafe and stupid. I had this urge to "show him" but my mature side got the best of me and decided to let it go. A few minutes later I catch up to him due to traffic. So I was like telling him in my head what's the point of that move a**hole. The other day entering the freeway, an is200 did something similar overtaking me in a single lane, very idiotic in my book. It makes me feel good to know our cars can outrun 95% of the cars out there. But it saddens me to see crazy drivers who pulls unsafe moves just to show me that there car is better than mine.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Hmm since Im young slightly different things happen to me. Yes the stupid idiots ride my aS5 and the get frustrated and pass me... Ive even had one stupid retard in a GTI pass me into oncoming traffic when there was space to the right... I was going 15km/h over the speed limit! It was a 60, and I was only in the left because I was turning left in 800m.

The stuff that I get though is drivers *****ing at me constantly! Its not hard to get a bit of wheel spin in this car and at times (especially in the cold) the back end slides slightly before the rear tires hook up. I have been *****ed at four separate times for this happening! Them telling me to calm the Fu*k down and what not. One of those times was for drifting through a left turn. I wasn't out of control, its just too much fun. I wouldn't do it if I knew I was endangering someone, but this is when not many cars are around.

The other thing is drivers get really pissed off when Im accelerating quickly but then I don't drive as aggressively as I sped up. Why should I? I don't want a ticket. They will ride my as5 but my secret weapon is the engine, when it revs it usually scares the crap outta them, they tend to back off. I would hate to have one of them slam into the back of me when Im braking hard. This happened with a pickup truck last month, when I braked hard... he slammed his brakes! I wasn't going to let him hit me though. He was so distraught he turned off into the gas station and sat in the parking spot. I think he saw his life flash before him. Mostly I think its just a function of owning this car young. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the car tremendously my last 5 years have been spend working and saving up for this beast. I do just want to have fun in it though and don't understand peoples need to ***** their faces off about it. They are always only complaining after they see a 21 year old in the drives seat.

For me its not people trying to prove their car is better than mine, its people that are jealous using any tiny thing to spit out their displeasure. No one should be getting mad at this stuff unless they are really mad with themselves. Or "want to teach that kid a lesson." My most proud moment is when one guy called me out in the walmart parking lot and asked how is it taking daddy's car for a spin. Instead of getting angry and telling him it was mine, I fuelled his anger and said yah its a pretty ****ty car...

Last edited by VaclavSV; 12-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
Im waiting for my wheel to be replace at a dealer so I have time to write this tought. I'm not sure if it is just driving the c63 or other drivers expecting me to drive fast all the time. I consider myself a considerate driver and I try my best not to put other drivers in an awkward situation. I was heading S of 405 this morning and I merged in the fast lane very clear of cars behind. A few minutes later I see an Acura TL behind me tail gating. Now, mostly, I drive just right, not overly fast and not slow, at this point about 73mph (70 speed limit). I ignore him and was just waiting for him to overtake on my right. He waits and waits then all of a sudden he pulls an aggressive passing maneuver to my left in the carpool lane going over the double yellow lines. Which I thought was very unsafe and stupid. I had this urge to "show him" but my mature side got the best of me and decided to let it go. A few minutes later I catch up to him due to traffic. So I was like telling him in my head what's the point of that move a**hole. The other day entering the freeway, an is200 did something similar overtaking me in a single lane, very idiotic in my book. It makes me feel good to know our cars can outrun 95% of the cars out there. But it saddens me to see crazy drivers who pulls unsafe moves just to show me that there car is better than mine.
Rather than think of that person as driving like an idiot, why didn't you say to yourself..."I should have moved out of the left lane and let him go". I personally hate it when people sit in the left lane and DECIDE how fast other people should go! The left lane is for passing, not for you to decide how fast I should go.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Rather than think of that person as driving like an idiot, why didn't you say to yourself..."I should have moved out of the left lane and let him go". I personally hate it when people sit in the left lane and DECIDE how fast other people should go! The left lane is for passing, not for you to decide how fast I should go.
I was actually thinking about this. If you are driving the speed limit or 5-10MPH over make sure there is a free lane on your left so that people can pass you. Or at the very least pull to the right when someone approaches your back. Nothing frustrates me more than people driving 65MPH at the carpool lane and seeing people on the fast lane passing me.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:22 PM

I understand what you're saying. I dont like people driving at 50mph in the fast lane either and piling up the cars behind them. But I was moving at the flow of traffic plus I did not really had a chance to move for the almighty fast driver. He had other alternatives besides cutting the carpool lane (like driving safely) and possibly side swapping another car, that's why I think he made an idiotic move.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I understand what you're saying. I dont like people driving at 50mph in the fast lane either and piling up the cars behind them. But I was moving at the flow of traffic plus I did not really had a chance to move for the almighty fast driver. He had other alternatives besides cutting the carpool lane (like driving safely) and possibly side swapping another car, that's why I think he made an idiotic move.
I actually have had a different experience than you with my C63. People actually don't try to race me (Other than M3's). I had more of an issue with my C350 than I have with the C63. I get quite a few more people pulling alongside me to give me the thumbsup or to get a better look at the ride.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I am confused. You originally stated that you were driving 3 mph over the speed limit when he came up behind you. You said you ignored him and expected him to pass you on the right. That makes you the one that was obstructing the flow of traffic and while it doesn't justify the other driver's reckless response I would suggest you leave the left lane for faster traffic.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
+1 sorry to say but this man is correct
Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I am confused. You originally stated that you were driving 3 mph over the speed limit when he came up behind you. You said you ignored him and expected him to pass you on the right. That makes you the one that was obstructing the flow of traffic and while it doesn't justify the other driver's reckless response I would suggest you leave the left lane for faster traffic.
Be careful now, we don't know whether he was on an open highway or in bumper-to-bumper urban traffic. If the latter situation, I argue there is no obligation to move right, as the heavy traffic defines the speed at which every car is going to move.

I think it's appropriate to define someone who pulls off a pass using the carpool lane as an idiot, regardless of circumstances. Blocking the left lane - or anything else - does not justify such an action.

While it would be polite for the OP to move right and let faster traffic pass (regardless of the speed limit), he is in no way responsible for the reckless actions of other drivers. Let's recognize that each individual driver has the responsibility to act safely.

Edit: Oh, and to the OP - I doubt your AMG has anything at all to do with this. Almost nobody on the road knows what it is. Some people just drive crazy, doesn't matter what you're doing or what you're driving.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Im waiting for my wheel to be replace at a dealer so I have time to write this tought. I'm not sure if it is just driving the c63 or other drivers expecting me to drive fast all the time. I consider myself a considerate driver and I try my best not to put other drivers in an awkward situation......
It is indeed pathetic that most drivers do not care about others on the road...and too many of them are totally unaware when they put themselves in awkward/potentially dicy situations....much less the people in other vehicles. It's sad that it takes more skill and effort to get through airport security than it is to get a driver's license....

I actually have had a different experience than you with my C63. People actually don't try to race me (Other than M3's). I had more of an issue with my C350 than I have with the C63. I get quite a few more people pulling alongside me to give me the thumbsup or to get a better look at the ride.
Getting "challenged" or provoked by lesser cars goes with the territory of owning our cars. I usually don't take the bait...

Funny that M3s try to race you...I've been driving C63 for a couple of months now and the ones I've encountered suddenly go into Driving Miss Daisy mode when they see me. It's been more typical for an Infiniti G3x (or something similar) to be the recipient of a 3-4 second rendition of the M156 Overture.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
I think it's appropriate to define someone who pulls off a pass using the carpool lane as an idiot, regardless of circumstances. Blocking the left lane - or anything else - does not justify such an action.
+63

Edit: Oh, and to the OP - I doubt your AMG has anything at all to do with this. Almost nobody on the road knows what it is. Some people just drive crazy, doesn't matter what you're doing or what you're driving.
Actually, I think it does...with a higher probability due to the other car being an Acura TL, less if it were a Camry or 5-series.

Cars are sorta like people...some rub others the wrong way. I'd be more annoyed at a Nissan Leaf needlessly clogging the left lane as opposed to say, a Boss 302. Or if I were insecure, insensitive and immature in my C63, an RS-4 blocking my way will **** me off more than an SLS.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Thought the same thing.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 PM

2008 C63
I hate you and everyone that drives like you. GET OUT OF THE PASSING LANE!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:44 PM

10 Steel Grey C63
Be careful now, we don't know whether he was on an open highway or in bumper-to-bumper urban traffic. If the latter situation, I argue there is no obligation to move right, as the heavy traffic defines the speed at which every car is going to move.
Actually, the OP specifically stated he expected the other car to just pass him on the right, which means it was not bumper to bumper traffic.

Personally, I don't care if I'm already going 90, if someone comes up behind I get over and let him by - heck, he can be my speeding decoy!

I do not understand how someone can sit in the left lane because he's "3 over the limit" and not think others will get frustrated. Not saying the other driver should have done what he did, but it sounds like both parties need to rethink their driving habits.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM

10 Steel Grey C63
Oh, and the fact that the OP stated he "drives just right" implies he thinks that his speed is the only speed that is correct. Anyone going faster or slower is obviously "not driving just right" in his mind.

I could give a rats *** how fast or slow you drive, just stay out of my way.

By the way - let me make it clear that I am not defending the other driver's actions. I am just saying that an attitude adjustment by the original OP would have this be a complete non-event for both drivers and everyone would just continue on their merry way....

Last edited by jasont; 12-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM

It was not bumper to bumper but rush hour flowing traffic is the best I could describe it and making sudden moves in that situation is just reckless. I was in the fast lane because I was faster than ones on my right but obviously not fast enough from him. My 73 mph speed was when I saw him a few feet from my bumper and before that he was not even no where close behind me. That was the point I was expecting him to pass on my right because my left is the carpool lane already. You guys saying you would move over to the right if you see someone faster behind you is bs. Yah, it's ideal but people here in Los Angeles rarely do it. I've heared in Europe that drivers will flash there lights to notify you if they are faster to let you know to move to the slower lane and that is a common and acceptable practice. Unfortunately we are not in Europe.

Last edited by izzyAMG; 12-09-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:13 PM

10 Steel Grey C63
Meh, believe what you want, I move every time. Simple fact is that had you moved this rant would never have happened.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jasont
Meh, believe what you want, I move every time. Simple fact is that had you moved this rant would never have happened.
sure bud!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
It was not bumper to bumper but rush hour flowing traffic is the best I could describe it and making sudden moves in that situation is just reckless. I was in the fast lane because I was faster than ones on my right but obviously not fast enough from him. My 73 mph speed was when I saw him a few feet from my bumper and before that he was not even no where close behind me. That was the point I was expecting him to pass on my right because my left is the carpool lane already. You guys saying you would move over to the right if you see someone faster behind you is bs. Yah, it's ideal but people here in Los Angeles rarely do it. I've heared in Europe that drivers will flash there lights to notify you if they are faster to let you know to move to the slower lane and that is a common and acceptable practice. Unfortunately we are not in Europe.
No, it's not. It's called common courtesy. Unless there is a car right next to me, I move over well before he's even close to my bumper. Granted, there are some a$$holes out there that ride your bumper even though there is nowhere to go for you than to ride the guys bumper in front of you.

Here is something that happens to me ALL the time. I'm in the fast lane, going over the speed limit, coming up on someone, no room to overtake on the right, NOT riding his bumper, and the guy starts playing games and slows down even more. Not saying you did this, just putting it out there ...

I grew up in Germany. We use our mirrors and move over, because the fast lane is, well, for going faster than the rest of the traffic. BIG fine, I mean REALLY big fine for the guy over taking on the right AND the guy driving slow in the fast lane. I can drive in Europe a 1000 km a day all relaxed. Here just being on the 405 for 30 min is an aggravation.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Sigh. I knew this was going to get ugly from the first post.

To the OP, I really don't think you were unreasonable. If traffic was heavy enough that it's impossible to drive any faster than you were already going, what's the point in pulling over? Let the guy get 100 feet ahead of you, and then stay there for the next 10 miles?

That said, there are definate advantages to pulling right. If a driver is aggressive enough to pass you on the right, let alone in the carpool lane, it's probably safer for everyone on the highway if you pull right and let him (I gotta assume it's a him...) merrily motor along in the left lane, rather than setting up a situation where he makes a risky pass and hence endangers everyone around. The way I look at it, part of being an adult member of society is looking out for those around you. That includes compensating for others that make bad decisions.

To the German guy - yeah, maybe it is better over there. (Although I seem to spend most of my autobahn time stuck in stop and go traffic jams...) But we ain't Europe, and we're never going to be Europe. You might as well give up on that one, because driving skills in the US aren't going to change in our lifetimes.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 PM

C63
It is common courtesy to move over to the right if and when you are able to. They even teach you that driving school. If you drive at the Autobahn the fast lane is usually clear and free. It's an unwritten rule that it is generally used for passing.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
Originally Posted by arctichaze
It is common courtesy to move over to the right if and when you are able to. They even teach you that driving school. If you drive at the Autobahn the fast lane is usually clear and free. It's an unwritten rule that it is generally used for passing.
yup, it's called common courtesy, if I see a car coming up fast behind me on the fast lane, I move over way before he/she even gets close. I don't care how fast that person is going.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Sigh. I knew this was going to get ugly from the first post.
No reason to get ugly. All opinion are welcome. I don't get bothered by people stating there opinion even if they say it with hate. At the end of the day. You are there and I am here enjoying life.

SMP - I agree it is common courtesy - but I say it is also common practice because you know that if someone flashes there lights it is reasonable to believe that they are asking you politely to move over and nothing more. Here in Los Angeles, if you flash someone in front of you with lights, unless you are a cop or an emergency vehicle, you will get the finger.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:37 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
No reason to get ugly. All opinion are welcome. I don't get bothered by people stating there opinion even if they say it with hate. At the end of the day. You are there and I am here enjoying life.

SMP - I agree it is common courtesy - but I say it is also common practice because you know that if someone flashes there lights it is reasonable to believe that they are asking you politely to move over and nothing more. Here in Los Angeles, if you flash someone in front of you with lights, unless you are a cop or an emergency vehicle, you will get the finger.
In this case,

BTW, those days are over. You flash someone on the Autobahn to move over, and a cop sees you doing that, you'll get fined. Back then my favorite thing used to be riding 2 inches off his rear bumper and than flash ... anyways, I'm older and more patient now ... and times have changed.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I've never experienced your situation because I'm always the one riding your *** and crossing the carpool or breakdown lane

Seriously, I do drive fast most of the time, not recklessly, but I seldom do have tailgaters on my *** and if I do, I will also move to the right as everyone else suggested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crazy drivers (Ranting)