C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Car is completely dead...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz AMG GTS
Car is completely dead...

After leaving my car for 3 hours I unlock the car and try and start it. Nothing happens. When I insert the key it just says "remove key". I thought maybe it was a battery issue so i tried jump starting it. Nothing. The car is completely immobilized.

Called Mercedes-Benz roadside assistance, they came out and he told me it was some issue with the steering column or the ignition unit. He claimed that this problem has happened to other C Class owners. Anyway, car was towed to the dealer and I guess I'll find out tomorrow whats wrong.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
some anti-theft crap from an electrical glitch/short...steering column locks up and has to be changed. Search i think a couple people have posted the end result.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG GTS
just did a search… I'm assuming this is the problem
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...preciated.html

Really glad I purchased the extended warranty. Im worried that I'm going to have more problems like this member did. I have 51,000 miles on the car and bought extended warranty up to 75,000 miles. Hopefully the bugs and problems are exposed now rather than later.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by 16NiSSC350
just did a search… I'm assuming this is the problem
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...preciated.html

Really glad I purchased the extended warranty. Im worried that I'm going to have more problems like this member did. I have 51,000 miles on the car and bought extended warranty up to 75,000 miles. Hopefully the bugs and problems are exposed now rather than later.
usualy when you inset the key it makes a sounds did it make it or does it make it?
if not try sticking your key in and out till it makes the sound once it does that your car will turn on.
i had this happen to me in the middle of a parking lot entrance so i had nothing better to do then jaming the key in and out and it finaly worked.
went on my way and no problems since.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML63
After leaving my car for 3 hours I unlock the car and try and start it. Nothing happens. When I insert the key it just says "remove key". I thought maybe it was a battery issue so i tried jump starting it. Nothing. The car is completely immobilized.

Called Mercedes-Benz roadside assistance, they came out and he told me it was some issue with the steering column or the ignition unit. He claimed that this problem has happened to other C Class owners. Anyway, car was towed to the dealer and I guess I'll find out tomorrow whats wrong.

Has anyone experienced this?
It happened to me 2 months ago. I had to get it towed to a dealer. Took them 2 days to fix it. Ignition issues in the dashboard and it had to be updated thats what i was told. I only had 7k on the car. Drove the car 5 times that day and then went to park it in the garage and it wouldnt start. Same issue as urs, remove key light and car completely dead.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:43 PM

bike
Typical Benz bullxxxx. Don't you just love paying $70k for a car that leaves you stranded?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by bigbodybeeenz
Typical Benz bullxxxx. Don't you just love paying $70k for a car that leaves you stranded?
So is this typical Ferrari "bullxxxx"?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/another-...ain-video.html

Don't you just love paying $250,000 and the car just blows up? Nobody is perfect. No matter how much you pay, you're going to run into issues sooner or later. I would also like to point out that MB's reliability ratings are on the up.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Regardless of battery jump I'm sure its just your battery being totally expired...
Old 12-12-2011, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
I see you found my thread. I had the same issue.
I think there was one more user who experienced this.

EDIT: HHUGHES1 had the same issue
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...new-issue.html

Last edited by olszowa12; 12-12-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Information from my paperwork follows......This part has probably failed on hundreds of cars, not just C63's, and as they age we will probably hear about more.

Car was returned today, working fine and covered under warranty. Work order refers to the defective part as EIS steering lock. Following is the tech notes:

Code 6002 traced to EIS locked had to cut to remove

468070 Electric Steering Lock 4598 WMB

204-545-81-32 EIS Steering

r&r complete steering column, cut and remove steering lock - lock was in theft protection mode, replace steering lock, program using programing key, perform initial startup, clear dtc's after repair.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM

09 C63
[QUOTE=16NiSSC350;4957003]After leaving my car for 3 hours I unlock the car and try and start it. Nothing happens. When I insert the key it just says "remove key". I thought maybe it was a battery issue so i tried jump starting it. Nothing. The car is completely immobilized.

Has anyone experienced this?[/QUOTE

i had a similar problem, i was driving (30mins or so) my daughter back from soccer match when the car just died at a traffic light. all the systems of a dead battery (car is 3 yrs old), powered all electronics but would not turn the starter motor. tried several times over the hour it took to get the car towed (which i thought was good on a Sunday afternoon, at least MB roadside assistance proved reliable!). called the dealership Monday am - car started first time and they never could work what happened - they had a theory that a rubber from a prior belt failure was causing the power steering to bind and that steering pump was failing

No repeats so far.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Information from my paperwork follows......This part has probably failed on hundreds of cars, not just C63's, and as they age we will probably hear about more.

Car was returned today, working fine and covered under warranty. Work order refers to the defective part as EIS steering lock. Following is the tech notes:

Code 6002 traced to EIS locked had to cut to remove

468070 Electric Steering Lock 4598 WMB

204-545-81-32 EIS Steering

r&r complete steering column, cut and remove steering lock - lock was in theft protection mode, replace steering lock, program using programing key, perform initial startup, clear dtc's after repair.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Sincity
Hundreds and no recall? Would suck for someone trying to get a way from a gun-wielding maniacal ex and car wouldn't start.
Common problem in Vagas?

J/K
Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mort
Common problem in Vagas?

J/K
We had a high-profile murder last year when a boyfriend of a dancer on a Strip production show (he is also a dancer on the show) murdered the girl and hacked her into several pieces and tried placing the parts into concrete. We also had a few domestic murder-suicides lately. Must be the ****ty economy?

Last edited by Sincity; 12-13-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Guys this was a common thing with my 09 when new: with the GL I could turn the ignition all the way and immediately release. This is because the starter does not rely on ignition position to disengage. As I was used to this and practiced the same on the C, I soon realized that it would die and become non responsive when I started it that way. Like mthis says, I would just play with the key in out turn etc and it would come back alive; sometimes taking over a couple of minutes!!! I learned that I was able to avoid this by holding the ignition in start position until the starter disengaged first. Since then the problem completely disappeared.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
We had a high-profile murder last year when a boyfriend of a dancer on a Strip production show (he is also a dancer on the show) murdered the girl and hacked her into several pieces and tried placing the parts into concrete. We also had a few domestic murder-suicides lately. Must be the ****ty economy?
Isn't it more like Metro just shooting first and asking questions after the body is carted off? I think there is currently a backlog of 15 cases of officer-involved shootings awaiting a coroner's inquest.

edit: I'm watching the news now and we had yet another OIS today...an unarmed army vet apparently off his meds.

edit 2: Here's the LV newspaper story:

(Las Vegas Police officer Jesus) Arevalo shot Stanley Gibson, 43, early Monday after a 30-minute standoff with police in a northwest valley apartment parking lot.

Sources said Arevalo fired about seven shots from his rifle into the rear passenger window of Gibson's car, which was pinned against several patrol cars and not moving.

Gibson, a Gulf War veteran who had been off his medications, was delusional and confused in the hours before the shooting.

Gibson was unarmed and appeared not to be a threat, according to multiple witnesses.

Last edited by bhamg; 12-14-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Can't wait for stories on the Smart all electric car.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by cyberorth
Guys this was a common thing with my 09 when new: with the GL I could turn the ignition all the way and immediately release. This is because the starter does not rely on ignition position to disengage. As I was used to this and practiced the same on the C, I soon realized that it would die and become non responsive when I started it that way. Like mthis says, I would just play with the key in out turn etc and it would come back alive; sometimes taking over a couple of minutes!!! I learned that I was able to avoid this by holding the ignition in start position until the starter disengaged first. Since then the problem completely disappeared.
If the OP has the same issue that I had then it is not something that you can remedy yourself. You know you have a problem at the second ignition stop before you turn it far enough to start the car. None of the indicator lights light up, the steering wheel remains locked and the transmission will not leave park. And of course turning the key further does nothing. Just as the op experienced, the Roadside Rep told me dozens of cars (all models) have had this problem just in the area that he services. What makes it really challenging is getting it onto a flatbed when the car is parked in a busy parking lot with the steering locked. The transmission can be manually moved to neutral by a yellow lever that is under the shifter bonnet so you dont have to winch it up with the wheels locked.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG GTS
Car fixed in less than two days. Warranty took care of it, but still had to pay $200 for my warranty deductible. Not happy having to pay for this especially considering this is a more than common problem.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Wait, you shouldn't have to pay if it's covered under warranty....WTH is a warranty deductible?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG GTS
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Wait, you shouldn't have to pay if it's covered under warranty....WTH is a warranty deductible?
I think this only applies to extended warranty
Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
glad everything got worked out though...

how long have you had the car?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
The extended warranty doesn't work as the regular warranty.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG GTS
Originally Posted by bluejae
glad everything got worked out though...

how long have you had the car?
Ive had the car for a year and half and I am the second owner. This is the first problem I've encountered since I bought the car in July 2010. The car has 51,000 miles.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
Ive had the car for a year and half and I am the second owner. This is the first problem I've encountered since I bought the car in July 2010. The car has 51,000 miles.
i wonder if you got the car i traded in? do you have any performance upgrades? i know i left the k&n filters. but then i don't know if the dealer switched it back

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car is completely dead...