C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Car abruptly stopped and re-engaged in S mode

Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Car abruptly stopped and re-engaged in S mode

The other morning I had an inexplicable experience. I was driving to work very early on a Saturday morning (yeah I know). Previously I had my car at idle for 2-3 minutes and I drove for a ew miles and my temps were above 176.

I got to a traffic light and when it turned green I gunned to the floor, I was on Sport mode and of course I was expecting the car to shift by itself from first to second, instead the car hit red line in first and abruptly stopped as if it was on M mode hitting red line. I was holding a coffee cup in one hand and I spilled the entire cup of coffee on 4 places(my BDU uniform, my leather seat, my steering wheel and my cluster), to make matters worse the car engaged abruptly back again to the next gear (second) by itself with tremendous pull(I am running a MHP stage II). This caused any remaining of coffee to spill back again.

I was pissed about the spill and about the shifting. I have no other better words to use other than What the f..k kkkkkk happened?

Can the transmission go into a "safe mode" especially when it was cold outside(28 degrees). Could it be that the car engaged so hard from first to second that the ESP engaged and caused the car to stop violently then re-accelerate violently again? What do you guys think?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63newdude
The other morning I had an inexplicable experience. I was driving to work very early on a Saturday morning (yeah I know). Previously I had my car at idle for 2-3 minutes and I drove for a ew miles and my temps were above 176.

I got to a traffic light and when it turned green I gunned to the floor, I was on Sport mode and of course I was expecting the car to shift by itself from first to second, instead the car hit red line in first and abruptly stopped as if it was on M mode hitting red line. I was holding a coffee cup in one hand and I spilled the entire cup of coffee on 4 places(my BDU uniform, my leather seat, my steering wheel and my cluster), to make matters worse the car engaged abruptly back again to the next gear (second) by itself with tremendous pull(I am running a MHP stage II). This caused any remaining of coffee to spill back again.

I was pissed about the spill and about the shifting. I have no other better words to use other than What the f..k kkkkkk happened?

Can the transmission go into a "safe mode" especially when it was cold outside(28 degrees). Could it be that the car engaged so hard from first to second that the ESP engaged and caused the car to stop violently then re-accelerate violently again? What do you guys think?

Very strange, i doubt the MHP tune is the cause. Lets see if anyone with a similar experience can join in the discussion.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I never suspected to be the tune. The car runs flawlessly with the tune. I thik it had to do with the traction control engaging hard from first to second or the transmission engaging in a fail safe mode (if that even exist). I am not realting this issue to the tune on any way shape or form.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Did you hit the paddles by accident?... maybe it was in S mode but was waiting for you to shift... it happened to me and the shift was violent just like with race start.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
If I put the car in S mode and turn off the traction control my car does that. I put it in S1 and light up the rear tires and when it hits the red line in cuts it back to 4500 and then takes off in second gear. The thing does not want to shift into second if the tires are spinning. I have not figured out any way around it. Well I don't do it often but every once in a while I like to lay into it from a dig. I don't seem to be able to get the shifts right in M mode at all. I am either short shifting into 2nd or into the red line and the same thing happens. The ECU is trying to protect the trans clutches from extreme torque during a shift especially 1-2. Two years and I still haven't got it figured out?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
My car will occasionally hit redline in first gear then shift into second in sport mode. It rapidly accelerates then bam hits redline and its like someone slammed on the brakes then boom, second and it takes off again...

Its cause the tires/ground are cold and it spins first gear so fast that the ECU or TCU can't keep up so it hits the redline.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Sorry this happened...Was it just that the car hadn't warmed up enough simply? The trans seems to want to protect itself under any extreme temps hot or cold...
Old 12-12-2011, 02:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
Originally Posted by C63newdude
I was holding a coffee cup in one hand and I spilled the entire cup of coffee on 4 places(my BDU uniform, my leather seat, my steering wheel and my cluster), to make matters worse the car engaged abruptly back again to the next gear (second) by itself with tremendous pull(I am running a MHP stage II). This caused any remaining of coffee to spill back again.

:
Well there is your problem your car was pissed and punished you for holding a coffee while driving, fast for that matter. Mercedes only put in a cup holder to stop the whinners from complaining, they dont' want people holding any drinks while driving!

It's a hidden feature many don't know about.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 e90 m3/09 c63/ 06 cls55 /
Was your gas tank full? I've had similar issues occur when my tank was below 25%
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by PartyVan
Well there is your problem your car was pissed and punished you for holding a coffee while driving, fast for that matter. Mercedes only put in a cup holder to stop the whinners from complaining, they dont' want people holding any drinks while driving!

It's a hidden feature many don't know about.
+1
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by impr
Was your gas tank full? I've had similar issues occur when my tank was below 25%
Fuel starvation, may cause detonation and eventually damage pistons. If this is happening stay out of WOT when the tank is low on fuel.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
That sucks.

But seriously, who the heck holds a cup of coffee in one hand when they plan to "gun" a 500hp car? I'm going to say you deserve the spill Both hands on the wheel when you plan on flooring it, you never know when you're going to lose traction

Last edited by stangxs; 12-12-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Never had an issue like this but the explanations seem to make sense that if:
1. TC is on
2.When shifting into second, the car loses traction
Then the car will will stop power going to the wheel causing the car to stop going forward and then when it finds traction again, it will move forward abruptly since you are WOT.

Now I do not get what Mort is experiencing. With TC off and is S mode, there should not be any power cut off. Maybe there is another computer nanny in there that protects the transmission but I have never experienced it. I did multiple mile runs in S and M mode and I could feel the car losing a bit of traction in the 1 to 2 shift but it never cut off.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Mort
If I put the car in S mode and turn off the traction control my car does that. I put it in S1 and light up the rear tires and when it hits the red line in cuts it back to 4500 and then takes off in second gear. The thing does not want to shift into second if the tires are spinning. I have not figured out any way around it. Well I don't do it often but every once in a while I like to lay into it from a dig. I don't seem to be able to get the shifts right in M mode at all. I am either short shifting into 2nd or into the red line and the same thing happens. The ECU is trying to protect the trans clutches from extreme torque during a shift especially 1-2. Two years and I still haven't got it figured out?
Good feedback.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:16 AM

2009 ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by emericr
Never had an issue like this but the explanations seem to make sense that if:
1. TC is on
2.When shifting into second, the car loses traction
Then the car will will stop power going to the wheel causing the car to stop going forward and then when it finds traction again, it will move forward abruptly since you are WOT.

Now I do not get what Mort is experiencing. With TC off and is S mode, there should not be any power cut off. Maybe there is another computer nanny in there that protects the transmission but I have never experienced it. I did multiple mile runs in S and M mode and I could feel the car losing a bit of traction in the 1 to 2 shift but it never cut off.
Your correct its a nanny system. Its actually to protect the transfer box with can't handle extreme loads.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
sweet thread bump.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
I have to agree that to floor the car with a coffee in hand is not the best idea. Good luck to you.