C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

stock LSD vs Quaife LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 coupe EVO X(sold) WRX (sold)
stock LSD vs Quaife LSD

What is the different and which one is better?
Is it a huge different if the car has LSD?
thx
Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

C63
what Quaife LSD does to a car is that it maximizes traction (gives double friction) and minimizes wheelspin.
It's also proven in drags which gives you a great launch, rallying and even on roads. It
eliminates torque steer and snatching in fwd cars compared to stock LSD
Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
The Quaife LSD is 100% lock vs. 40% for pre-MY2011 and 30% for MY2012. If you buy NEW or CPO and want warranty and don't drag, then the stock ones are fine.

Sheep
Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Sheep
The Quaife LSD is 100% lock vs. 40% for pre-MY2011 and 30% for MY2012. If you buy NEW or CPO and want warranty and don't drag, then the stock ones are fine.

Sheep
No Sir, that is NOT correct. Quaife is a Gleason Torsen derivative, and as such can NEVER give 100% lock. It has what is called torque bisad transfer. And NO GT design can give 100% lock. But I will agree it IS better than the stock LSD.

FYI, from their website:The Quaife Engineering Automatic Torque Biasing differential

The second mechanical method of improving traction is to use a Quaife Automatic Torque biasing differential. Rather than using clutch plates as a method of operation, the Quaife ATB uses sets of floating helical cut gear pinions that run in pockets and mesh during normal driving.
Should one of the driven wheels start to spin however, the helical gears start to generate a torque bias thanks to the axial and radial thrust of the helical gear pinions in their pockets. The result is a progressive transfer of torque away from the spinning side of the axle to the driven wheel, which is now capable of transmitting a greater proportion of torque.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 12-20-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by kg21nba
What is the different and which one is better?
Is it a huge different if the car has LSD?
thx
An LSD makes a big difference in the feel of the car. When you launch from a stop and the tires start to spin (TC off), the car will stay straight so it is much more predictable. It feels very unsafe and unpredictable without an LSD.

Also, when you are coming out of corners, you can use more throttle, earlier on, when you have a LSD.

I think overall, it adds a lot of balance to the car and the car feels overall more stable and tied down. It's less prone to wheel hop.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:54 PM

2010 C63, 2007 X5
LSD will also give you more even rear tire wear.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM

C63 coupe EVO X(sold) WRX (sold)
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
No Sir, that is NOT correct. Quaife is a Gleason Torsen derivative, and as such can NEVER give 100% lock. It has what is called torque bisad transfer. And NO GT design can give 100% lock. But I will agree it IS better than the stock LSD.

FYI, from their website:The Quaife Engineering Automatic Torque Biasing differential

The second mechanical method of improving traction is to use a Quaife Automatic Torque biasing differential. Rather than using clutch plates as a method of operation, the Quaife ATB uses sets of floating helical cut gear pinions that run in pockets and mesh during normal driving.
Should one of the driven wheels start to spin however, the helical gears start to generate a torque bias thanks to the axial and radial thrust of the helical gear pinions in their pockets. The result is a progressive transfer of torque away from the spinning side of the axle to the driven wheel, which is now capable of transmitting a greater proportion of torque.
If i install the Quaite LSD, is that going to affect the warranty??
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
Originally Posted by kg21nba
If i install the Quaite LSD, is that going to affect the warranty??
the short answer...

YES
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.

BMW's M Diff can give you 100% lock.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
BMW's M Diff can give you 100% lock.
I am not familiar with BMW's anymore as I jumped ship years ago. what style/type posi do they use now?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM

A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by Rsquad911
the short answer...

YES
The question I have is, in what way will it affect warranty? It should only affect the diff, nothing else especially considering MB actually has an LSD option. They going to say your engine blew as a a result of and LSD, I think not.

Magnuson-Moss Act
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by derek
The question I have is, in what way will it affect warranty? It should only affect the diff, nothing else especially considering MB actually has an LSD option. They going to say your engine blew as a a result of and LSD, I think not.

Magnuson-Moss Act
I believe you are correct that indeed it would ONLY void your rear end warranty my friend. Back in the day after blowing out over a dozen Ford clutch pack posi's, they installed for free a Custom Auborn diff for me. But they did inform me that they would NOT honor ANY work that involved the rear end after installation.

There is NO way they could void your engine, interior, gages, tec, from a POSI install.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
I believe you are correct that indeed it would ONLY void your rear end warranty my friend. Back in the day after blowing out over a dozen Ford clutch pack posi's, they installed for free a Custom Auborn diff for me. But they did inform me that they would NOT honor ANY work that involved the rear end after installation.

There is NO way they could void your engine, interior, gages, tec, from a POSI install.
I agree and that's what my MBZ dealer told me when they agreed to install a Quaife in my '12 E550 Coupe.
(Unfortunately, the Quaife model for the 2011 and older E Coupes didn't fit the 2012 so they couldn't install. We need to get 2012 differential dimensions to Quaife)

Last edited by Dueclaws; 12-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
An LSD makes a big difference in the feel of the car. When you launch from a stop and the tires start to spin (TC off), the car will stay straight so it is much more predictable. It feels very unsafe and unpredictable without an LSD.

Also, when you are coming out of corners, you can use more throttle, earlier on, when you have a LSD.

I think overall, it adds a lot of balance to the car and the car feels overall more stable and tied down. It's less prone to wheel hop.
+1.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
We have optioned the LSD with our yet to be delivered C63, & for the life of me, I cannot understand why the C63 does not have one standard.....geez....450+ H.P......with no L.S.D???!!!......doesn't make sense to me.
Cheers, Pickles.