C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Quick 2 Gear Down Shift or Up Shift Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C63
Quick 2 Gear Down Shift or Up Shift Issue

I've noticed a small issue when driving my car in M Mode. When I am at a very low RPM and I want to do a 2 gear down shift, (whether I use the paddles or the shifter) if I do a quick 2 gear down shift, it only recognizes it as a 1 gear change. I've also tried a quick 3 gear down shift, and if I shift quick enough, it only recognizes it as a 1 gear down shift. The same applies for an up shift. If I hit 60mph in 2nd gear (almost read-line) and I decide to up shift to 5th gear, 3 quick clicks to up shift only gets recognized as 1 gear up shift.

I've noticed that I need to constantly keep an eye on my selected gear to make sure that my downshifts/upshifts were recognized. This has forced me to slow my shifting which is kind of a pain in the ***.

If in fact this transmission is too slow to shift into the gears that I'd like, is there anything I can do to allow my transmission to have a sort of "place holder"? Meaning, if I'm in gear 7 and click down 3 times into gear 4 with the paddles/shift knob, can it continue to shift down to the desired gear instead of stopping at gear 6 because I shifted too fast and it couldn't keep up with me?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I guess you have tried depressing the down shift paddle and holding it down. That will drop you at least two gears, or as many as the computer thinks is safe.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 AM

2012 C63 Coupe P31
Im pretty sure clicking the paddle down thrice very quickly wont register like a game would.. You see, the gear has to physically change and the computer has to rev match in order to get you in to that gear and the computer must then process if all that is possible without harming your engine, so gear shifts from 7-6-5-4 sequentially might not register if u quickly click down three times. however what maverick said is true, holding down the paddle will shift u into the lowest possible gear that is safe for the engine by skipping gears and going straight to it
Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
As others have stated this is a limitation of the gear box and likely worse in a pre-2012 car where the MCT gear box is available... although it has the same issue but maybe slightly improved (MB, PLEASE put a real DCT in these cars!!). If you hold down the downshift paddle, the car will quickly downshift multiple gears but it is engaging each gear quickly so there is a slight delay.

I think we need to start a petition with MB to put a true dual clutch tranny in the next C63 variant. That and a 200 lb diet and this car is pretty damn near perfect.

Last edited by gthal; 12-27-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by gthal
As others have stated this is a limitation of the gear box and likely worse in a pre-2012 car where the MCT gear box is available... although it has the same issue but maybe slightly improved (MB, PLEASE put a real DCT in these cars!!). If you hold down the downshift paddle, the car will quickly downshift multiple gears but it is engaging each gear quickly so there is a slight delay.

I think we need to start a petition with MB to put a true dual clutch tranny in the next C63 variant. That and a 200 lb diet and this car is pretty damn near perfect.
I'll sign the petition and encourage MB to try out for "The Biggest Loser."
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 PM

2015 M3 2016 X5M 2008 C63 (sold)
i have a 08. if your foot is on the throttle say 20%, and you click down 2 gears, it will downshift 2... 7th-5th, or 6th- 4th. I haven't tried 5th-3th, or 4th-2nd.

as far as upshifting, i haven't tried this, but don't find i need to upshift 2 gears quickly.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM

09 C63 AMG, 03 C320 Sport Coupe 96 Mustang
My 09 does the same thing, so I've gottenin the habit of either holding the down paddle and letting it shift, or leaving a little gap between hitting the paddle.

On a side note, does downshifting when coming to a stop on this car actually do much in the engine braking category? I am an old school down shifter when slowing down to avoid the brakes, it doesn't seem to make as much difference in M mode, is there any point using downshifting when approaching a stop?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dkhm3
i have a 08. if your foot is on the throttle say 20%, and you click down 2 gears, it will downshift 2... 7th-5th, or 6th- 4th. I haven't tried 5th-3th, or 4th-2nd.

as far as upshifting, i haven't tried this, but don't find i need to upshift 2 gears quickly.
I have verified this in my 2012 in an earlier post - if you get on the gas an tap twice it registers 2 gears down but if you are off the gas or on the brake it only registers 1 gear down.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM

2009 C63 AMG
But won't DCT add weight?

I'd be content to see them improve the automatic to match the level of responsiveness of the ZF 6-speed in the 335i...it recognizes double clicks.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM

2015 M3 2016 X5M 2008 C63 (sold)
Originally Posted by Ex_Red

I'd be content to see them improve the automatic to match the level of responsiveness of the ZF 6-speed in the 335i...it recognizes double clicks.
exactly what i was thinking. i had a 335i and it recognizes 2 shifts up or down.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe

Good point but if there was a real DCT in the car no one would care about the weight it added... and it is nothing like the ZF tranny in the 335i
Old 12-27-2011, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
A true DCT would transform the car. The M-DCT is now very well sorted. Shifts are crisp and bang off very quickly. I'm sure this will be implemented in the next generation C Class. The reason they couldn't fit a DCT was because it was too big to fit inside the transmission tunnel, and that meant they had to do bodywork to make it fit, which would of pushed the price of the car above it's price point.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Good point but if there was a real DCT in the car no one would care about the weight it added... and it is nothing like the ZF tranny in the 335i
Another good point as well! To be honest, I don't mind the "extra" weight now so if the next generation breaks even, that'll be perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
...I'm sure this will be implemented in the next generation C Class....
I'm still loving my current generation C63.

The next generation will be interesting...more than likely a biturbo 5.5 up front? Or will their new inline 6 be out by then...hmmm, while the next M3 will perhaps have a V6 (derived from M5's V8) twin or tri-turbo. The "C63 or M3?" question will never die! And I think that's awesome.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Another good point as well! To be honest, I don't mind the "extra" weight now so if the next generation breaks even, that'll be perfectly fine.

I'm still loving my current generation C63.

The next generation will be interesting...more than likely a biturbo 5.5 up front? Or will their new inline 6 be out by then...hmmm, while the next M3 will perhaps have a V6 (derived from M5's V8) twin or tri-turbo. The "C63 or M3?" question will never die! And I think that's awesome.
Honestly, I think the two cars are so different they're incomparable. The C63 is a great DD with plenty of torque and 'oomph' to have some fun and get the car sideways. The M3, is a balanced precision needle. Fun at the track, be leaves you wanting more on the road due to that NA high revving V8. Not saying any of that is bad, just two completely different animals. MBZ has been slowly changing that though.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Keithb
My 09 does the same thing, so I've gottenin the habit of either holding the down paddle and letting it shift, or leaving a little gap between hitting the paddle.

On a side note, does downshifting when coming to a stop on this car actually do much in the engine braking category? I am an old school down shifter when slowing down to avoid the brakes, it doesn't seem to make as much difference in M mode, is there any point using downshifting when approaching a stop?
Not to hijack...

usually its for fun and to annoy others

This engine has a pretty high compression ratio so when you let your foot off throttle, it starts to 'engine brake' instead of coast, so your downshifts don't seem to create as much as you expect in terms of engine braking.

By the way, engine braking is an expensive way of slowing the car down. brakes are much cheaper and are intended for this purpose
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cyberorth
By the way, engine braking is an expensive way of slowing the car down. brakes are much cheaper and are intended for this purpose
Yes, but my brakes sometimes squeal...I'd rather hear the sexy rev-matches followed by the sublime farts, burping and gurgling.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
These engines can handle downshifting slowing like a champ...transmission and engine can take the heat so using breaks and letting engine downshift is quite alright....
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
For the OP,
Set the display to AMG so you see the actual gear you are in. Set transmission to S. drive at highway speed until 7th gear, then click downshift three times. You'll see that the transmission takes its time and downshifts 3 times. This method is a really good way to achieve what you want, but it also shows you how much time you lose waiting for the right gear. Now do the same in M mode and instead of multiple clicks just hold the lever. You will have a first hand idea which method is more efficient. My ref is 2011 MY.