C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Coolest OBDII ever

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of fast cars.
Coolest OBDII ever

A buddy of mine has the Torque app on his droid os phone, coolest thing I've ever seen. I just ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

and this on Android Market:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/torque-p...g.prowl.torque
Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Try this out.. a far more complete solution.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php

However, I am not sure how well our vehicles work with aftermarket obdii dongles...
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 AM

A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Try this out.. a far more complete solution.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...mand/index.php

However, I am not sure how well our vehicles work with aftermarket obdii dongles...
Great for iPhone, the Torque is better rated for Android phones.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Make sure it works with your C63. Many of these are not compatible.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Not making a claim for or against that product on amazon, but I will point out that both reviews are likely bogus given their similar writing style and their reviewing history.

Looks pretty neat though, wonder how accurate the performance data is versus a gtech versus a real track.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM

A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Not making a claim for or against that product on amazon, but I will point out that both reviews are likely bogus given their similar writing style and their reviewing history.

Looks pretty neat though, wonder how accurate the performance data is versus a gtech versus a real track.
That's the great thing about Amazon, returns are easy AND no sales tax! And there's always this, same product different review: http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Brand-Blu...m_cr_pr_sims_t

Last edited by derek; 12-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Update. Got the OBDII dongle, paired up right away with my HTC Thunderbolt w/o any issues. Works fine, though haven't figured out the software piece for the computer yet. It reads realtime from the car to the phone. Pretty neat and the dongle is small enough to fit in the glove, so one has a reader at all times and able to reset codes anywhere.

For less than $30 out the door, great deal!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by derek
Update. Got the OBDII dongle, paired up right away with my HTC Thunderbolt w/o any issues. Works fine, though haven't figured out the software piece for the computer yet. It reads realtime from the car to the phone. Pretty neat and the dongle is small enough to fit in the glove, so one has a reader at all times and able to reset codes anywhere.

For less than $30 out the door, great deal!
No doubt it seems like a great mod.

There is another thread in the w211 section for this app.

Do you know if people are able to get the AFR feature to work? Also, can you gather performance data with this app (like 0-60, 60-130 etc)?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
No doubt it seems like a great mod.

There is another thread in the w211 section for this app.

Do you know if people are able to get the AFR feature to work? Also, can you gather performance data with this app (like 0-60, 60-130 etc)?
Still playing with it, will update as I learn more.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Still playing with it, will update as I learn more.
Sounds good.

I want to try this out. I think for the money, it's definitely worth a try and could be real fun.

The only thing that's stopping me is it seems like you need to buy a holder to fix the phone in a perfectly secure position for performance data and it's hard to know which one works best.

Also, do the instructions seem easy to follow? Or could they be improved upon? It would be a shame if the instructions aren't up to par.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Sounds good.

I want to try this out. I think for the money, it's definitely worth a try and could be real fun.

The only thing that's stopping me is it seems like you need to buy a holder to fix the phone in a perfectly secure position for performance data and it's hard to know which one works best.

Also, do the instructions seem easy to follow? Or could they be improved upon? It would be a shame if the instructions aren't up to par.
What instructions? It's all pretty intuitive. Worth -$30 just for entertainment. I think the phone mount will work fine. I really just needed to replace my obdII I left in the car I traded in.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
What instructions? It's all pretty intuitive. Worth -$30 just for entertainment. I think the phone mount will work fine. I really just needed to replace my obdII I left in the car I traded in.
Cool, no instructions. I may just try it. But, I want it to deliver accurate data and not just be for entertainment, because what's entertaining about an app that collects data from your OBDII port but not be accurate? I guess if code reading is all that matters I understand, but if the app offers actual data logging capabilities it should be right on, considering it's getting the info from the car's computer.

For whatever reason, I think I recall reading the AFR reading isn't the easiest thing to figure out. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope you can see some readings, considering it's all self explanatory.

Also, some mounts don't work well if you're trying to collect accurate performance data. Some mounts allow too much movement for the app to work properly and the phone needs to be seated in a certain position.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM

A couple of fast cars.
I'm pretty sure it's accurate, at least on the live view it had my rpm's and coolant/water temp accurate. I think you may want to read the reviews on the android market, it appears that it works very well. if you go to the torque developer site i think there are instructions. With the obdII dongle the only thing that came was a sheet of paper with instructions on how to get it synced and and a mini cd to install software on your computer.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I'm pretty sure it's accurate, at least on the live view it had my rpm's and coolant/water temp accurate. I think you may want to read the reviews on the android market, it appears that it works very well. if you go to the torque developer site i think there are instructions. With the obdII dongle the only thing that came was a sheet of paper with instructions on how to get it synced and and a mini cd to install software on your computer.
Does the cd have a picture on it?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Yes, of a confused Panda bear. Not sure what to think of that!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Here's a pic of the cd.

Coolest OBDII ever-cd.jpg
Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I found this in the other thread, maybe it's of some help.

Posted by, "randallaguirre":

"If you prefer a little frustration when installing things....Stop reading now, or if you prefer a little tribal knowledge to make things go smoother keep reading

Thankfully this application will be 95 percent plug-n-play.

Once you've got the Torqueapp installed and the Blutooth adapter installed you will need to add the OBDII BT device to your phone---same way you would add a headset or anything else bluetooth enabled.

BUT--- IT WILL ONLY READ "PAIRED BUT NOT CONNECTED"

There is one more step will get everything talking together.

Open the Torque application. Once on the main screen, click the phone's "menu" button and a bar with "Settings" and "Quit" will pop up. Don't be a quitter and click settings.
Next, find "Choose Bluetooth Device" and click on it.

Then finally click on "OBDII"

This should save you about 45 mins of scratching your head, cussing, pulling out your hair, and thinking you got a defective Bluetooth device.

This is far and away the coolest 35 bucks I have ever spent."

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 12-28-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Hmph...I plugged it, phone detected it, pressed in the key code and BAM I was connected, no frustration on my end.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Here's a pic of the cd.

Attachment 225084
Thanks for taking a pic.

The reason I ask is because some of the members in the other thread, https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ication-6.html were saying the didn't want to load the cd because the panda looked kinda suspect. Perhaps they were joking around.

Also, are you inputing the data info about your car, including the weight? That's another thing that's throwing me off a little, because the weight of the car should be exact and virtually no one besides people that have actually weighed their cars knows what these cars weigh. There are different weights given all over the internet. Some weights include with fluids or without, different cars have different options, which can weigh differently, so it's a challenge to me.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Hmph...I plugged it, phone detected it, pressed in the key code and BAM I was connected, no frustration on my end.
That's good. Glad to hear it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Thanks for taking a pic.

The reason I ask is because some of the members in the other thread, https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ication-6.html were saying the didn't want to load the cd because the panda looked kinda suspect. Perhaps they were joking around.

Also, are you inputing the data info about your car, including the weight? That's another thing that's throwing me off a little, because the weight of the car should be exact and virtually no one besides people that have actually weighed their cars knows what these cars weigh. There are different weights given all over the internet. Some weights include with fluids or without, different cars have different options, which can weigh differently, so it's a challenge to me.
I guessed on the weight, but that wasn't really why I got it, so it may/may not be great for you. As far as being able to do what I need, it does that and way more with a bunch of other cool features as well. RPMs, temps, etc...are real-time and live, so that's more than I could ask for about 30 dollars including overnight shipping and the app. I would be happy to try stuff out for you.

I figure if it doesn't work send it back to amazon, if it does great.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I guessed on the weight, but that wasn't really why I got it, so it may/may not be great for you. As far as being able to do what I need, it does that and way more with a bunch of other cool features as well. RPMs, temps, etc...are real-time and live, so that's more than I could ask for about 30 dollars including overnight shipping and the app. I would be happy to try stuff out for you.

I figure if it doesn't work send it back to amazon, if it does great.
Oh, I understand. And I appreciate the offer. That's kind of you.

I figure this app, with the right mount for the phone, and exact vehicle weight should be close to as accurate as a v-box and that would be truly great if you could get v-box accuracy for hundreds of dollars less.

Data logging apparently is somewhat limited by the data rate of the OBDII port, something like 1Hz per second, but still very handy.

Basically, this app provides plenty of opportunities for a fraction of the cost of what things used to cost.

If you get the AFR working, please update your thread. I would be really interested to see how it goes.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Oh, I understand. And I appreciate the offer. That's kind of you.

I figure this app, with the right mount for the phone, and exact vehicle weight should be close to as accurate as a v-box and that would be truly great if you could get v-box accuracy for hundreds of dollars less.

Data logging apparently is somewhat limited by the data rate of the OBDII port, something like 1Hz per second, but still very handy.

Basically, this app provides plenty of opportunities for a fraction of the cost of what things used to cost.

If you get the AFR working, please update your thread. I would be really interested to see how it goes.
AVG virus scan on the cd was clean.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
AVG virus scan on the cd was clean.
Nice... So it's a good panda.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
cool app... and i'm enjoying the panda talk

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolest OBDII ever