Which to buy? C63, M3 or S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
Which to buy? C63, M3 or S4

Hi,

After having the C55 for a couple of years, I started looking for a replacement. I'm in my mid 30's, so I'm planning to start having kids and I need something practical (aside from my wife's 09 Murano). This is the thing: I need some advice from you guys since I'm down to 3 options:

- BMW E90 M3
- Mercedes W204 C63 AMG (pre-facelift)
- Audi B8 S4

All three are sedans, as you know. I'm looking something more powerful than a C55. I have to make a decision based on these parameters (highest to lowest importance):

- Practicality
- Power on the straights
- Ride
- Maneuverability
- Ease and cost of maintenance
- Gas savings

Next week I'll be testing the M3 and C63 on a dealer that happens to have both (used). Still looking for a S4 nearby to drive (those are very rare). M3's interior doesn't seem attractive, but are fun to drive. I like the exterior but those don't have a lot of torque in low RPM's (consider that I have a C55 - V8). S4's can be easily tuned to gain power since those are supercharged, are cheaper (gas-wise) and have nice interiors. However the sound is not that exhilarating. C63, from what I've read on the forum, has also the mix of having nice interior, sound and power. I'm concerned about the maintenance cost, and how it drives.

I would like to hear your opinions guys. I'll be spending 50k at the most.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM

E63 S
I've driven all 3 and would happily have any of them.

They all have a distinctive personality and only test driving them will give you the answer that is right for you.

Have fun!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
I just went through this last month.... and I picked the C63.

M3 was nice but smaller then the C63, you will find more room in the front seat, rear seat, and truck then you will in the M3. C63 felt stronger then the M3 and sounded much better. I like BMWs and have had a few along with Mercs but the C63 is an iconic monster. Im sure you will get to feel the same as I did. BMW was a great ride and felt very sporty but the C63 just felt right.

As for the audi, Im not impressed with the supercharged V6. If anything I would pick up an RS4 but still not sure I would pick that over the C63... actually, I would deff pick the C63. I have spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of an RS4 and like the C63 better.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
I'm in the exact same scenario. I'm a pretty serious BMW guy, but the m3/c63 decision tipped slightly towards the AMG, for me. I came to the realization that I don't do track driving, a d therefore the c63 would likely be more fun.

I like bmw's mororsports involvement, driving programs, M division parts and accessories, and their cars' steering and transmissions better than MB/AMG. Hell, I even painted my garage with Bavarian blue accents. But, something about the c63 is calling to me a but more right now. I have no doubt I'll have a BMW again one day, if it isn't this next move, from my 335. In fact, if practicality and economics start screaming at me, I'd be MORE than happy to get an e90 335 to replace my e92.

For the time being, I'm cross shopping both for the right sale (looking CPO, 2009-2011), but a part of me hopes the c63 is the one I find first.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
C63 better for a daily driver, M3 is more a track weapon and S4 is not in the same league as above 2 cars.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
I've owned all 3 and the C63 is the only one that has keep my interested longer than 6 months! I really liked the S4 but felt it was missing something compared to the M3 or C63. The S4 has the best tranny (if you are going DSG) and interior in my opinion.

- Practicality - S4
- Power on the straights - C63
- Ride - S4
- Maneuverability - M3
- Ease and cost of maintenance - Probably not the C63
- Gas savings - S4

Looks like the S4 wins out in those categories but the power and exhaust sound of the C63 is what sold me on the car. I think its the best looking too. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by bmoney12; 12-27-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
I have owned 2 M3s and the C63. I can honestly say the C63 is way, way, WAY more fun around town. The sound of the car, the huge power, the feel... just amazing. I loved my M3 (see my comparison thread) but the more time I spend in the C63, the more I can't believe how fun it is. I took a short drive today to pick up some shear bolts for the snow blower and I literally giggled a few times when downshifting from the sound of the car. Having owned the C63, I would only go back to an M3 if it were a car I was modding for the track... even then I may stick with the C63 it is that much fun.

YMMV as every car "speaks" to its owner IMO. For me and the C63, it doesn't speak to me really, it damn well screams in my ears telling me to love it... so I do... more and more every time I drive it!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:22 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Hey just a thought... If you ask the BMW forums which one, I bet they will say the M3. Guess what the Audi guys will say?

If you ask the "Red's My Favorite Color Club" which color...it's going to be 590.

See what I did there? Give it a minute.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by ImmaBeSmug2
Hey just a thought... If you ask the BMW forums which one, I bet they will say the M3. Guess what the Audi guys will say?

If you ask the "Red's My Favorite Color Club" which color...it's going to be 590.

See what I did there? Give it a minute.
I completely understand your point to the OP... only thing is that two of the respondents owned two of the cars and therefore at least have some ability to compare them for the OP. Clearly there is still a bias but if enough people chime in with actual experiences (not made up internet experiences which I believe half of what we read are )... even if biased... still helps with perspective.

But, like I said, I agree with your point as 90% of the responses will be biased to what someone already owns and/or based on them being a fanboy
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM

2010 C63, 2009 S550, 2007 GL450
If you are starting to have kids, buy a one-year-old E350 and start a college fund with the difference!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Originally Posted by tmldds
If you are starting to have kids, buy a one-year-old E350 and start a college fund with the difference!
SH*T..... I knew I messed up somewhere. Oh well... looks likes is community college for him.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
All great cars, but the S4 is a little out of place. You stated you wanted something faster, and the S4 just can't keep up. However, if you live in a cold weather or snowy winter area, a tuned S4 may be the ticket. Friends of mine who own Audi's say they are the most expensive from a maintenance point of view.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Thanks guys, this really helps me a lot.

As Gthal explained: The idea is to obtain feedback from people that had own at least two of the cars from the list. As an engineer, for me is very interesting the opinion from different perspectives (even my wife's). I'll take those into consideration.

Man, I really love looking for new cars, I love the hunt.

I'll send my feedbacks to you after the test drive.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:52 PM

E63 S
You can get a Stasis flash (preserve warranty) for the S4 which puts you over 400 hp. Not too shabby.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
I'm looking something more powerful than a C55. I have to make a decision based on these parameters (highest to lowest importance):

- Practicality
- Power on the straights
- Ride
- Maneuverability
- Ease and cost of maintenance
- Gas savings
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
I'll send my feedbacks to you after the test drive.
It will be interesting to see which car you end up with...

A quick note, based on the criteria you listed above, it may behoove you to include the E90 335i in your hunt. It beats the others in all categories except for absolute power (which corrupts absolutely ).

By the way, I drove BMW for 16 years (2 E36 M3s, 2 E46 M3s, and a 335i). The E90 M3 was effectively trounced by the C63 in my quest for a new car. I may have expected too much from the M3 but the thrust (and sound) of the C63 totally blew me away. And it doesn't hurt that despite weighing 2 tons, it probably handles as well as my last E46 M3.

Some say that an E9x M3 is better with EDC as you can keep it soft when you're not in the mood and that at higher RPMs, it's a true screamer...but for me, it may have been better for it to default to whatever M settings I specified. I found that the rabid rottweiler on a leash feel of the C63 suits my tastes better than something that requires a button to shed its Clark Kent persona...the wild dog with the loud bark from AMG ultimately feels more BMW than the latest M offering.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM

C55 AMG
I may be getting closer to that point as well. I've had my C55 for about 5 years now, and this year has been the most costly with repairs etc.. even with an extended warranty - which will expire next summer. I will most likely end up with another AMG, the C63 is finally growing on me. I was lucky to see a new one at the dealer, the face lift and interior changes are really nice, however I'd take a previous one any day. Hopefully I'll find a certified development pack and limited slip, black on black next. I still love my C55 though, really is one of the few cars I've truly loved owning.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
It totally depends on what you're looking for from the car. The M3 in day to day driving can get a bit long in the tooth as you have to really give it beans to get it going. Anything under 4k RPM's will feel pretty underwhelming. It's after 4K the beast within wakes up. I found the steering at slow speeds too light on the M as well. The M3's chassis is remarkably balanced though. It gives you confidence in the corners. The car hides it's weight very well also. The noise the S65 makes is also very intoxicating. I love hearing it downshift.

The C63 is a completely different animal. It doesn't like taking corners normally. It feels like you've insulted it if you try to so it tells you, screw you I'm going to kick my rear end out whenever I damn well want. The car is still VERY predictable though. Steering feel in the C63 gets the nod over the M3. The car communicates and tells you what it's about to do next. It's also a beast in a straight line. It literally feels like a freight train. Did I mention it has God's fist as an engine, AND his angry yell as an exhaust note to boot?

The S4 I have very little experience with. The one I test drove had the sport diff and 1 other package. The car is planted whatever you throw at it. You never feel like anything will ever go wrong because Quattro works it's magic very well. You can't really compare this car to the C63 or the M3 because the other two just give you another level of thrill while the S4 makes you look like you're the best damn thing that's happened to driving even though you've never really driven on a track.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
It totally depends on what you're looking for from the car. The M3 in day to day driving can get a bit long in the tooth as you have to really give it beans to get it going. Anything under 4k RPM's will feel pretty underwhelming. It's after 4K the beast within wakes up. I found the steering at slow speeds too light on the M as well. The M3's chassis is remarkably balanced though. It gives you confidence in the corners. The car hides it's weight very well also. The noise the S65 makes is also very intoxicating. I love hearing it downshift.

The C63 is a completely different animal. It doesn't like taking corners normally. It feels like you've insulted it if you try to so it tells you, screw you I'm going to kick my rear end out whenever I damn well want. The car is still VERY predictable though. Steering feel in the C63 gets the nod over the M3. The car communicates and tells you what it's about to do next. It's also a beast in a straight line. It literally feels like a freight train. Did I mention it has God's fist as an engine, AND his angry yell as an exhaust note to boot?

The S4 I have very little experience with. The one I test drove had the sport diff and 1 other package. The car is planted whatever you throw at it. You never feel like anything will ever go wrong because Quattro works it's magic very well. You can't really compare this car to the C63 or the M3 because the other two just give you another level of thrill while the S4 makes you look like you're the best damn thing that's happened to driving even though you've never really driven on a track.
I agree with two small changes... first, the steering on the C63 is, IMO, lighter than the M3 when when the M3 is on sport mode (which was all of the time in my car). It communicates very well and has a good weight but is every bit as light, or lighter, as the M3 if the M3 is in sport mode... second, the C63 loves to take corners too and does so with skill that is comparable (maybe a tick less than the M3) as long as you know how to manage the torque. It isn't that that car doesn't have similar handling ability to the M3 but that the engine's torque allows you to easily "steer" the car with your foot and if you don't have a lot of experience with this there can be "unexpected" results . My advice is light and gradually increasing throttle out of turns.

Last edited by gthal; 12-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Drive each and decide, like everyone else does.....

I have both the M3 and the C63. I'm selling the M3 soon and it doesn't bug me at all, but I am dreading the day the C63 is not on my driveway anymore.

IMO, for the street and day to day, the C63 is a better car in everyway. I hate the fact i have to rev the crap out of the M3 to make it hustle. Sure...some say the M3 handles better, but who wants to be confident each and every single time.....i want a near death experience, every once in a while, when i push my car to the limits.

I drove the M3/CTS-V/RS-4/IS-F, all before i bought my C63 and never regretted my purchase for even a second.

But do as you wish

Last edited by callmiro; 12-28-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 AM

2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
C63 is a better DD and a decent track car
M3 is a better track car and a decent DD
S4/RS4 can't decide which way to go.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Like The Stig
I have owned all 3 except the s4 was the b7 model but i have driven a b8 s4 as a loaner when i took my q7 in for service. Here is what i think about all 3 cars its going to be up to you to decide.

E90 M3: REVS, REVS, REVS is all i can say!! No torque down low but man its a fun car to drive hard with all those revs. Not as fast as the c63 but feels faster around corners. I got decent mpgs i think it was the second most fuel efficient. I hated the lack of storage inside the car all the compartments are tiny!! The rear feels a bit cramped as well but the front is comfortable. Ride is hard but not as hard as the c63 and exhaust sound is more european than muscle compared to the c63.

B8 S4: This is going to be the smoothest and slowest car of them all since its in a different category. It is great on highway driving and city driving, the car feels like its on rails because of the quattro awd system but this is also the achilles heel since the car will not throw its back end much its not very fun . Best mpgs of the 3, and has no probs getting the power down on quick stop light accelerations. Dual clutch tranny and manual trannys are both amazing btw i would say its the best of the 3 cars. If you plan on modding its the cheapest to mod, a good pulley, tune, intercooler, and exhaust will bump up the hp quite a bit and from a dig im sure it can take either the c63 or m3. It does lack power above 50mph you can def feel its a heavy car even though its not the heaviest of the bunch. Exhaust sounds like crap imo like a bunch of bees inside a can but the burps between shifts sound amazing.

c63: In all honesty its the best of both worlds, its a very sporty luxury car that has a ton of power. Ride is a bit harder than the m3 but not by far. Power is amazing its a constant struggle between your foot and the traction control. Love the seats they are the best of the bunch and interior quality imo is top notch. Exterior wise i also think its the nicest of the bunch. MPG'S do suck but then again i did not buy this car thinking on saving the planet. Exhaust sound is more muscle than euro but sounds great man, downshift in a tunnel and i guarantee a stiffy!! I love the space inside the car its definitely better than the audi and by far the m3, the c has so many cubby holes and gizmos to keep your stuff in place.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by callmiro
[FONT=Century Gothic]
IMO, for the street and day to day, the C63 is a better car in everyway. I hate the fact i have to rev the crap out of the M3 to make it hustle. Sure...some say the M3 handles better, but who wants to be confident each and every single time.....i want a near death experience, every once in a while, when i push my car to the limits.
I totally agree, Mr. Clarkson...what was it, we never feel more alive as when we had just cheated death?

Originally Posted by gthal
... second, the C63 loves to take corners too and does so with skill that is comparable (maybe a tick less than the M3)...
It took me a few weeks to truly adjust to this. The C63 doesn't disguise its weight as well as the M3 so I had that feeling of impending doom when approaching corners at a fast clip. Gradually, I learned that it can carve just as well as my E46 M3. Same corner, same entry and exit speeds an E9x M3 might say, "Is that all you got, Schumie?! Faster!" while the C63 will say, "Hey, ain't this fun?! Let's do it again, buddy!"
Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Ex_Red
The C63 doesn't disguise its weight as well as the M3 so I had that feeling of impending doom when approaching corners at a fast clip. Gradually, I learned that it can carve just as well as my E46 M3. Same corner, same entry and exit speeds an E9x M3 might say, "Is that all you got, Schumie?! Faster!" while the C63 will say, "Hey, ain't this fun?! Let's do it again, buddy!"
I think the 2012 face lift (my only experience is with the coupe) closes the handling gap with the E92 M3. Based on my street and track experiences with both cars, they are very close. At 9/10ths they are the same in ability. At 10/10ths, the M3 has the edge and will pull through when the C63 might make you nervous. I have no idea how much of an improvement the 2012 facelift made but from all accounts, including the recent Ring time, it appears to be meaningful from a handling perspective.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by gthal
I think the 2012 face lift (my only experience is with the coupe) closes the handling gap with the E92 M3. Based on my street and track experiences with both cars, they are very close. At 9/10ths they are the same in ability. At 10/10ths, the M3 has the edge and will pull through when the C63 might make you nervous. I have no idea how much of an improvement the 2012 facelift made but from all accounts, including the recent Ring time, it appears to be meaningful from a handling perspective.
Having come from an 09 C63, I can definitely say the new 12 coupe handles a bit better (was pretty good already), but is way better at absorbing the bumps. A stiff ride for sure, but much better than my 09, and my 09 did not have the performance suspension. The seats in the coupe are better as well. The transmission is much faster as well. All that needs to be done now is to lose about 300 lbs, get some fatter tires, and offer the option of a manual or a DCT.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Strafe1
Having come from an 09 C63, I can definitely say the new 12 coupe handles a bit better (was pretty good already), but is way better at absorbing the bumps. A stiff ride for sure, but much better than my 09, and my 09 did not have the performance suspension. The seats in the coupe are better as well. The transmission is much faster as well. All that needs to be done now is to lose about 300 lbs, get some fatter tires, and offer the option of a manual or a DCT.

Good to hear further confirmation that AMG is evolving in the right direction!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to buy? C63, M3 or S4