C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Virtual driving academy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LADA 1600
Virtual driving academy

Would anyone be interested in participating in a virtual driving academy for AMG owners?

In short, it will be a racing school tailored to the AMG Driving Academy curriculum through the use of an online racing simulator.

The goal is to teach car contol theory and learn the layout of real race tacks in an interactive and social environment from the comfort of your own home.
If you're interested, you can find complete details on how this works on the private lounge forums. You can also PM me for details.

It will begin in late January once there are enough participants.

*Just to be clear, this is not a sales pitch, and I am not selling anything!*

Thanks!

Last edited by masterianvii; 12-28-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

LADA 1600
Here is an example:
http://youtu.be/w2ThZnqMpNU
Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Will I need a nomex suit and helmet.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM

LADA 1600
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Will I need a nomex suit and helmet.
Better safe than sorry, I've seen some people get burned pretty badly on the forums and chat.

Some specialized hardware is required though. Keyboard, mouse, or joystick won't do.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
I think this is called forza 4!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 PM

LADA 1600
Originally Posted by MBfinatic
I think this is called forza 4!
Sorry, no. Forza 4 is a game with an intent for entertainment. We'll be using iRacing (see www.iracing.com), which is a simulator that uses laser scanned race tracks and physics that simulate race tire behavior. The advantage over laser canned tracks is that each bump and undulation of the race surface is represented and you can learn about different lines around the race track before you get there. Which curbs are safe to ride, and which ones will spit you out into a wall. Reference points, markers, etc... all there.

Although games like Forza and Gran Turismo are fun, have lots of cars and tracks, and look stunning, they are not proper simulations. Their physics are actually tailored to make you think you can drive well, and can be quite dangerous if you decide to drive in real life as you drive in the game.

I can personally attest to the quality of the iRacing simulator when I did the Pro Driving Academy at Road Atlanta. I knew the track like the back of my hand when I got there. There were no surprises. Even the telephone pole that is used as a marker for entering turn 2 was exactly where I expected it to be. It was my first time on track, and in an SLS, and I was able to comfortably set a lap of 1:39.something with the 5000rpm limit and TC on. The instructor time was around 1:37 without the rpm limit and TC off, which by the way make a huge difference.
http://youtu.be/ADPk9lXO4Ys

Not surprisingly, the Skip Barber school had the same simulator on site.

The idea is to get anyone who's planning on attending the AMG Driving Academy make the most out of it by saving them the time to learn the tracks and focus more on enjoying the cars. Software technology is now at a level where this is possible, just not many people who do real track days are aware of it.

Full write up is on the PL:
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ad.php?t=45651

Last edited by masterianvii; 12-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
Won't let me register in Canada??