C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Should I be steered away from the C63 due to this forum?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 GTI & '04 M3
Should I be steered away from the C63 due to this forum?

i've been looking at c63's for a while as a daily driver, about 15k/yr. over the past week or so, i've been swayed away from this car due to this forum, the issues with this car and especially the "things i hate about my c63" thread. so, i'd like some good honest input about this cars reliabilty and maintainability and not simply "the torque and hp outweigh all its annoyances " threads. I see these threads where there are 10 cons and 3 pros and the guy says "the pros outweigh the cons". really?!? i assume the weighted average for those cons is pretty low...

I don't care about things like "cheap interior materials", "door lock pins annoying" "more amg badging on the interior". what i care about are these 5 things:

1) combined city/highway mileage - what are you getting? i'm in stop-n-go every day. my 20 mile communte takes 50 minutes. my gti rated at 22/30 mpg is getting 25 consitently. what can i expect form a c63?

2) rear tire wear - do they really only last 8-10k miles w/o driving hard? i have conti dw's on my gti with 10k and still have more than 60% tread left.

3) brake life/excessive dust - will pads last 20k miles? the gti is on 55k with original pads, zero dust ever. the c230 i used to have would have black wheels in a week and pads/rotors needed changed every 15k-20k miles.

4) drivers seat bolster wear - every car i have looked at, even with 15k miles has had signs of wear. is it impossible for them to not wear?

5) daily comfort - i read the seats are not good for long commutes and the suspension is uncomfortable. i've driven maybe 6 cars and no issue with a test drive, but what about after 45 minutes?

Any help and honest feedback is appreciated. I have a deal pending and at this point, leaning towards passing. TIA.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
given your list this is not the car.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
you are comparing the C63 to your GTI ???????

that's like comparing apples to oranges . the car will last as long as you want it to . if you drive like bat out of hell , then any car won't last . if you are that worried about brakes , gas milage and tire wear , then i suggest you stick with your GTI .
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Maybe you should ride the bus.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM

C63
The C63 is an awesome car. Ignore all the non-sense with regards to interior and such. Than can be modded/replaced... you know, like door pins and such. The C63 is a beast.

But, you gotta pay to play. Yes, it's bad on gas and tires... but so what. It's an incredible machine that's the most fun driving you'll probably ever have.

Don't read those negative threads. I don't. I love my car - and I don't want to draw my attention to something I might not have noticed otherwise.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Even Money
Maybe you should ride the bus.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM

c63, 11 e350 (DD)
Originally Posted by jfabes
i've been looking at c63's for a while as a daily driver, about 15k/yr. over the past week or so, i've been swayed away from this car due to this forum, the issues with this car and especially the "things i hate about my c63" thread. so, i'd like some good honest input about this cars reliabilty and maintainability and not simply "the torque and hp outweigh all its annoyances " threads. I see these threads where there are 10 cons and 3 pros and the guy says "the pros outweigh the cons". really?!? i assume the weighted average for those cons is pretty low...

I don't care about things like "cheap interior materials", "door lock pins annoying" "more amg badging on the interior". what i care about are these 5 things:

1) combined city/highway mileage - what are you getting? i'm in stop-n-go every day. my 20 mile communte takes 50 minutes. my gti rated at 22/30 mpg is getting 25 consitently. what can i expect form a c63?

2) rear tire wear - do they really only last 8-10k miles w/o driving hard? i have conti dw's on my gti with 10k and still have more than 60% tread left.

3) brake life/excessive dust - will pads last 20k miles? the gti is on 55k with original pads, zero dust ever. the c230 i used to have would have black wheels in a week and pads/rotors needed changed every 15k-20k miles.

4) drivers seat bolster wear - every car i have looked at, even with 15k miles has had signs of wear. is it impossible for them to not wear?

5) daily comfort - i read the seats are not good for long commutes and the suspension is uncomfortable. i've driven maybe 6 cars and no issue with a test drive, but what about after 45 minutes?

Any help and honest feedback is appreciated. I have a deal pending and at this point, leaning towards passing. TIA.
First off, LOL!

1. Seriously? Buy a civic or a prius.

2. See #1

3. When you have big brakes, you're going to have big dust.

4. Depends on how you take care of them, they're very aggressive seats, so they're going to get wear no matter what you do, but it's not horrible.

5. Also depends on who you're asking.

cliff notes: see #1
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM

home the point
Don't think you'll like the answers.

It's not my DD so I can't say for sure about MPG in heavy traffic, but I can say for sure that you'll never get anywhere close to 25. I'm averaging 14-15 in fairly light city traffics.

Ha 10k if you're lucky, especially on the 08-09 pirellis. You might get better results with harder tires, but, again, don't expect them to last any where close to your GTI.

You can get pads that minimize brake dust, but on OEM pads it will get dirty fairly quickly.

Frequent and proper maintenance can keep your leather looking new, but it's impossible to avoid any sign of wear on any seats on any car. Personally, I've been using Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner about every other week.

Suspension is pretty hard, but I found the seats to be very comfortable. I love the lumbar supports and the boosters, then again I can see someone who's a little out of shape feeling squeezed in them.

Bottomline I'd keep the GTI as a DD and get the c63 as a fun car, because practicality isn't one of its strengths.

Last edited by cptdaz; 01-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Looking at your list, I reccommend you buy a regular C class and some AMG badges no one will know the difference
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
I worried about some of those things - I came out of a 335i.

The reality is that to whatever degree anyone feels they are true - they are worth it.
This car is the difference between the bus and the bullet train. It is a blast. Performance costs, but not radically.

Having said that a real bonus of this car is that they seem to have very little in the way of common issues - those things that when you mention them guys roll their eyes and say "typical for this car". Things like needing fuel pumps and injectors in the 335. My G35 had lots of those things too.

Its a 4000 lb performance car that accelerates, brakes and handles like a 'Vette but with 4 doors and a trunk - drive it hard and you'll have wear and tear. Don't drive it hard and you're a pu$$y and not a real car guy. And never own a car where the gas mileage is a make or break as to whether you can afford it.

In Car and Driver's review of an M3 the writer says "while driving this car I found myself day dreaming about the engine in the C63". Think about that - C&D is the unofficial BMW press outlet and they LOVE LOVE LOVE the M3. and still he said that.

Pay. Play. Don't look back.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series

You care about gas milage and you're looking at a C63.... You seem intelligent.

Mine lasted 7k. It eats tires. (I kind of like it though, I get to be a sort of tire connoisseur)

Who cares. At 55K miles on a GTI you have original pads!? You probably have zero dust because the pads are completely gone. There is no way you pads are good. TT had 85K kms and the pads were toast.

Yah. Don't drive it.

I drive 1.5hrs at a time back and forth from school.. I could fall asleep in the seat its so nice! By then I need to stop for gas so its not a big deal

I think you should pass because in every point you go back to your GTI. I can tell this car is definitely not for you...If you can actually afford it. Your questions are pretty stupid. A real car fan knows what he/she likes... not what other people tell them is good. The C63 is a FN beast... You have to feed it a lot to keep it going. Your GTI squeal doesn't mean **** to me... just saying.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM

'07 GTI & '04 M3
hmm, well if the cons don't steer me away from the car, perhaps the attitude of some might thanks to those that were helpful...

it was never meant to be compared to the gti, i'm not an idiot although some of you presume i am. what i meant by mileage is the gti is rated 22/30 and i get 25. so if the c63 is rate 12/19 can i expect 15? is that too hard of a question to answer?

as for tires, i apolgize if i think that its unrealistic that a luxury/sport sedan at this price point can't get 10k miles out of a tire that has a 340 tread rating. it is, after all, really only a c class with a bigger engine and brakes, not a gallardo.

the brake dust was just an annoyance that i've seen before, that's all. my M3 brakes get plenty dusty as well, but the pads last longer than 15k miles.

i think there is a common ground between performance and practicality and i was trying to see if this car meets that. sounds like it doesn't. i drove this back-to-back with a cts-v which i thought was a far more comfortable car, but has it's own issues, as does the e60 m5's i've driven and s4's, all have issues as do all cars. i was looking long-term though, not just based on a test drive, to see what "issues" i can live with without spending $2k/yr on maintenance.

anyway, thanks for all the input - good and bad.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
it's been my dd for 3+ years and i love it

little things like door lock pins can be changed if you desire... i enjoy this car immensely

i haven't gone through the trouble of actually figuring out mpg manually... but from what the car tells me... i can get up to about 21+ on a long road trip... other than that i think about 17-19 city i believe... but i stopped worrying about gas a long time ago... it takes the fun out of owning this car...

tires do wear fast, but you can get tires that will last longer if you don't plan on tracking the car... and it also depends on how often you stomp on the gas... my favorite dd tires are nexens... it's a pretty hard tire but last pretty long on this car... works great in the rain as well... i used them for like 2 years until i decided to get some tires with more grip... now i'm running michelin pss... which are in a different league in performance and cost... nexens ran me $500 or less for a set mounted and balanced

i have absolutely no problem with the comfort of this car long distance... i love the seats... if you're not used to bucket seats, it'll take a few weeks... trust me, the first time you sit down you will probably hate them... then later you'll wonder why you hated them
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM

'07 GTI & '04 M3
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
I think you should pass because in every point you go back to your GTI. I can tell this car is definitely not for you...If you can actually afford it. Your questions are pretty stupid. A real car fan knows what he/she likes... not what other people tell them is good. The C63 is a FN beast... You have to feed it a lot to keep it going. Your GTI squeal doesn't mean **** to me... just saying.
yikes. douche! i wasn't asking if it was good or if i would like it, i was asking about reliability and maintenance costs. i think that's fair.

man, i thought stepping up to a newer mb amg would put me in a different league and weed out all the haters and immature *****s like you on forums, but i guess i was wrong.

you're right though, if someone like you owns this car, i don't want want it.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar

In stop and go traffic you shouldnt expect more than 14-16 MPG. For reference, I avg 14MPG in mixed hwy/street driving.

The tires should last as long as you're easy on the throttle - thing is most folks who buy this car aren't concerned with issues like tire wear since this is a performance-oriented, high-power car. Most buyers are going to drive it harder than your standard Honda Accord.

No way around the brake dust using OEM pads. I've been told there are aftermarket options with significantly less brake dust so that is an option. As far as brake life goes - again, this is determined by how hard you drive the car although stop and go city traffic will takes it's toll over time.

For your reference, my front pads last me about 12,000 miles and that includes about 100 passes at the drag strip and a good deal of city driving.

Not really - it's just the way these things are. I suppose you could be more mindful of your ingress/egress technique so as not to rub against the bolsters, however, these sits are so aggressively bolstered that might be hard.

IMO the seats are very comfortable but might be considered uncomfortable by bigger people and those not used to the agggressive bolstering.

The suspension can be jarring at times, but driving on NYC roads always are. Probably less of an issue for those living in areas with better roads.

Hope the above feedback was useful!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM

yikes. douche! i wasn't asking if it was good or if i would like it, i was asking about reliability and maintenance costs. i think that's fair.

man, i thought stepping up to a newer mb amg would put me in a different league and weed out all the haters and immature *****s like you on forums, but i guess i was wrong.

you're right though, if someone like you owns this car, i don't want want it.
touche douche
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
You're reply was rude and completely uncalled for. You sound like an elitist/spoiled child. Chances are you're probably both since you're still in school.

Whoever raised you did a fantastic job.

Last edited by BK63amg; 01-11-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
It is not just a C class with a bigger motor and brakes. I'm sorry I dont have a link as to what all the differences are but from the dimensions of the car on down it is very different. Has the same body, and interior except for the front seats but I dont know that it shares any real meaningful parts.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM

C300, C63 AMG Coupe, Fx 35
i can see where you would think it wasnt a good idea with all the stuff people bring up but...its total worth it XD

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, GLC63S
funny beacuse i have a GTI for every day driving lol

'16 528i MSport
OP, I'm guessing you havent owned Benzes before. If that's the case, you should know that brake dust is a common occurrence with Benzes, regardless of it being AMG or just normal ones like my GL450 4M. We had a 04 E320 that emitted brake dust like no other.

Although I dont have a C63 AMG YET, I figured let me chime in because I do have an INfiniti G37s Coupe. I barely get 16 driving city and I don't punch it or drive it hard like some other rascals do. Tires on that car lasted me 18K miles and my commute is only 6.4 miles to and from work.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM

home the point
hmm, well if the cons don't steer me away from the car, perhaps the attitude of some might thanks to those that were helpful...
People are going to get defensive when you start the topic questioning their purchase decisions, regardless of whether you are speaking to a c63 crowd or GTI owners.

it was never meant to be compared to the gti, i'm not an idiot although some of you presume i am. what i meant by mileage is the gti is rated 22/30 and i get 25. so if the c63 is rate 12/19 can i expect 15? is that too hard of a question to answer?
It might not have been your intention, but you mentioned GTI couple of times beside the MPG so it did look like you were comparing to the GTI. But to answer your question, 15mpg will be hard to achieve in heavy traffic, but doable if you drive very carefully. If that's the case, dunno why you would be in c63 tho there are better cars for the job if you're doing it for image.

as for tires, i apolgize if i think that its unrealistic that a luxury/sport sedan at this price point can't get 10k miles out of a tire that has a 340 tread rating. it is, after all, really only a c class with a bigger engine and brakes, not a gallardo.
You can get 10k of tires if you get all seasons and again, drive it like a granny. And again, we come back to the question of why you would want to own a high performance car as a replacement for your GTI.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Ignore some of those with the attitude, they do not speak for us all here.

I use mine as a DD, I drive between 50 and 60 miles each way to and from work (I am a consultant), part of that driving is in Washington DC.. not exactly known for being friendly to commuting in any way.. That said

1) When I drive through the city for whatever reason, I tend to avg 12 to 15mpg, when I drive to various offices around the beltway against traffic, I tend to avg 18 to 21 depending on how I feel and how aggressive I am driving... and I drive it like I stole it.

2) Some will crucify me for this.. but after going through 2 sets of tires in a year, I switched to the Conti all season DWS's, and they seem to be a good middle ground between summer tires and my aggressive nature, I drive hard, and have yet to lose control, but I would not take them to the track. They have so far lasted me a year, and their is still plenty of tread left.

3) Brake dust is a part of the big brake package, just wash your car regularly. As for how long they last, I still have around 30% pad left, and they are the original brake pads when I got the car at 14k miles, I now have 55k miles on the clock. I do engine brake alot (that has more to do with listening to the engine wind down and gurgle and make angry noises..) so that may make a big difference.

4) They are seats, they will wear, get over it.

5) This one is more individual specific, I personally have no problems with the seats, and have gone on business trips that had me driving for 5 to 6 hours at a time. My wife is 6'1 and built like a runner (since she is one), the side bolsters stab her in the ribs, she does not like the seats at all.... If your a larger individual, this may be an issue.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM

home the point
The C63 is a FN beast... You have to feed it a lot to keep it going.
On a related note, I find adding a quart of human blood make the car runs better.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I be steered away from the C63 due to this forum?