C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Chrome around the windows? ---> LSD?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
Question C63 Chrome around the windows? ---> LSD?

Was looking on the BYO C63 AMg and it looks like there is chrome around the windows. So i go to the C350 Sport and build it. There it looks like is blacked out trim.

So, is there an option to get the shadow line trim on the C63?

Also, I debating on getting the LSD. I had the E39 M5 with the LSD and it went around the corners real well. I'm not racing or tracking, but i want it to handle and go thru turns smoothly.

Anyone here have the LSD and have opinions?

Lastly, I really like the look of the Black series Rear View mirrors, and Thinking about loosing the 3 Pointed star in the grill...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I have an aftermarket Quaife LSD installed in my C63 and I think it makes a dramatic difference. You'll notice it most coming out of the corners and being able to put the power down more efficiently. The traction control won't kick in as much.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
LSD mandatory. How else could my big heavy car handle so good? I think the only reason they are not standard is to minimize warranty service.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
If you are not tracking the car an LSD is optional IMO unless you are driving very aggressively on the street. The LSD doesn't assist with corning but does assist with getting power to the road on corner exit. If you are worried about getting maximum power down on corner exit you likely aren't on a public street. However, although it may not be "needed" outside of a track, I would still get it myself as there might be times on back roads where I might drive a little more aggressively (in Mexico obviously) and the LSD would be useful.

On the trim, you can get after market vinyl wrap to cover the chrome. bmwshadowline.com is a good option.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by lunarx
I think the only reason they are not standard is to minimize warranty service.
I think you are right. LSDs definitely don't have longevity in their genes. They start to whine pretty early and it is all downhill from there. On the E46 M3 (which had an LSD standard) they were all noisy - you could try using friction modified diff oil but this only delayed the inevitable particularly if you drove it hard - and once shot they were completely non serviceable ie worn out, noisy, clunky diff you needed to buy an exchange unit, forget stripping down and replacing what was worn, nothing available. Not sure for Mercedes though.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Originally Posted by JimmyR
I think you are right. LSDs definitely don't have longevity in their genes. They start to whine pretty early and it is all downhill from there. On the E46 M3 (which had an LSD standard) they were all noisy - you could try using friction modified diff oil but this only delayed the inevitable particularly if you drove it hard - and once shot they were completely non serviceable ie worn out, noisy, clunky diff you needed to buy an exchange unit, forget stripping down and replacing what was worn, nothing available. Not sure for Mercedes though.
Probably why Mercedes charges you for 2 LSD upfront.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by JimmyR
This might be true for the MBZ LSD, but Quaife doesn't have plates: it's Torsen style.