Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML270
can 2012 c63 amg go for wider tire?

original size is Original Equipment Front Size 1: 235/40-18
Original Equipment Rear Size 1: 255/35-18

just wondering if regular c63 amg can put blackseries sizes of tires shows below

Original Equipment Front Size 1: 255/35-19
Original Equipment Rear Size 1: 285/30-19
Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Consider this, the C63 BS has a wider front track and fenders to accomodate those wheels and tires. You probably could get away with going a size bigger in the front (245)and two sizes bigger in the rear (275). I have 235 (F) and 265 (R) on my C63.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 Fiat Abarth
u cant put black series tires on it, you would need wider rims and spacers, and a wide body to suite all of it without rubbing or any difficulties. the max you can put on stock tires are 245/35-19 front and 275/30-19 on the back, that may in some cases like luggage+passengers might rub
Old 02-08-2012, 05:21 PM

'12 C63 Edition1 Sedan
I heard on the Edition 1 Sedan that it can support 255's in the front and 285's in the back. any truth to that?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth
that i haven't heard of ! highly doubt 255 though, your turning radius will be effected for sure ! im going to change mine to 245 in the front and 275 in the back and add 10mm spacers all around ! that should help handling quite a bit imo, its going to look sickening as well !!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM

'12 C63 Edition1 Sedan
Anything to get more tire on the ground. It's ridiculous how the car just loves to skip and slide off the line. Not cool on a merging lane freeway on-ramp, lol. Where you just want to get on first and end up making a total @ss of yourself.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth
there's chance of snow here in DC today, and they've been salting the streets. So i leave my only class for the day and turn onto a 2 lane road from a single lane, i look in the rearview and i c 3 squad cars behind each other. immediately i tell myself, be careful, don't get pulled over. We stop at a traffic light thats on a slightly slanted hill, and i literally caress the throttle, the car does a little burnout .. im like oh s||!T oh s||!T oh s||!T ... but they didnt pull me over :P .. funny experience though !!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
245F, 275R
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by c63edition1
there's chance of snow here in DC today, and they've been salting the streets. So i leave my only class for the day and turn onto a 2 lane road from a single lane, i look in the rearview and i c 3 squad cars behind each other. immediately i tell myself, be careful, don't get pulled over. We stop at a traffic light thats on a slightly slanted hill, and i literally caress the throttle, the car does a little burnout .. im like oh s||!T oh s||!T oh s||!T ... but they didnt pull me over :P .. funny experience though !!
That is just awesome
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by c63edition1
Nice, but I bet it'd be a completely different story if those were VA cops.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I figured out why Benz uses smaller tires.

I was reading an article about the ZR1 and they were complaining about how the large tires grab everything on the road and make it a challenge to hold the car traveling straight.

This has to be why. I've experienced this in my past vehicles with large tires too.

The large tires grab the grooves in the roads and throw the car all over.. Especially in areas where the weather takes a toll on the pavement.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
is 275 on a x9 too much?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by natman316
is 275 on a x9 too much?
IMO it is OK but is the limit.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Merc63

I was reading an article about the ZR1 and they were complaining about how the large tires grab everything on the road and make it a challenge to hold the car traveling straight.

This has to be why. I've experienced this in my past vehicles with large tires too.

The large tires grab the grooves in the roads and throw the car all over.. Especially in areas where the weather takes a toll on the pavement.
I agree that this characteristic occurs with larger tires but I would be so disappointed in MB if this was their reason. We give up so much performance with small tires and the trade off for less tramlining isn't worth it IMO. If someone is buying a high performance car, they want high performance and with that comes some compromise.

Also, on the M3 with 245/265 OEM and even with 255/275 did not exhibit this characteristic. I think you have to go larger than this to have a tramlining problem. MB should have gone 255/275 at a minimum IMO... shame on you MB
Old 02-17-2012, 07:14 PM

2013 Fiat Abarth
in my RS5 back home (now sold) i had the titanium package which gives u 20 inch rims and 275/30 tires all around too .. having the car in all wheel drive was disastrous ! on flat surfaces and the tight curves the car is the best thing i have driven .. u can turn the steering wheel 90 degrees on a curve and accelerate from 40 up to 120 no issues what so ever .. that being said .. when there are grooves and imperfections on the road, the best way to put it is that, the car decides a route of its own ... its physically demanding to have to correct it onto your lane .. its my mom's car and she struggled with it so changed it for an A7 .. more of a 40 year old lady car imo !! i think the issue was having such wide tires all around ! wide tires in the back on a back wheel drive car and narrower tires in the front to steer is hotrod-like (amazing in a straight line) ..

btw cptdaz
im in new york for the long weekend, and it happened to me again right infront of a traffic control officer that was on the street cuz of rush hour .. gave me the death stare from hell !! but all was good :o ... i paid 7$ the other day to get a record of my driving history .. 1 good point
Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
275 on a 9" are pushing it depending on the tire. You want the sidewall to have a slight bow inward towards the top of the tire. With a section width of 275 you've got calculated numeric section with of 10.28 inches. However different tire manufacturers use different tread/section widths that make the tire bow outward at the tread. Looking at a Conti 3 for example shows a section width of 11.2 inches and a tread width of 10 inches. Although they indicate the rim range is from 9-11 inches the measurments are taken on a 9.5" rim at 51psi. In a turn one side of the tread is not properly supported and will lose contact with the surface as it is pull upward.
Also you will be lowering your gear ratio as the tire's overall dimension is 25.6" compared to 25" for the stock tires (about 2.5%) and it weights 3 lbs more leaving you with additional unsprung rotational mass. Your car will might hook up a bit better from the dig, but the parasitic drag of more weight and a lower gear ratio may lead to being slower not faster. It certainly will not help you on the track as the overside tires won't have any more rubber in contact in turns and the additional rotational mass will slow both acceleration and deceleration. On the street or track you'll go through brakes faster.

MBZ should have puffed out the back wells or expanded in the inner wheel wells to accomodate wider tires in the back. Wheel rear wheel width should 11" with 295x30 tires which would have keep the over diameter 25.2" with a weight increase of 2 lbs.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
275 on a 9" are pushing it depending on the tire. You want the sidewall to have a slight bow inward towards the top of the tire. With a section width of 275 you've got calculated numeric section with of 10.28 inches. However different tire manufacturers use different tread/section widths that make the tire bow outward at the tread. Looking at a Conti 3 for example shows a section width of 11.2 inches and a tread width of 10 inches. Although they indicate the rim range is from 9-11 inches the measurments are taken on a 9.5" rim at 51psi. In a turn one side of the tread is not properly supported and will lose contact with the surface as it is pull upward.
Also you will be lowering your gear ratio as the tire's overall dimension is 25.6" compared to 25" for the stock tires (about 2.5%) and it weights 3 lbs more leaving you with additional unsprung rotational mass. Your car will might hook up a bit better from the dig, but the parasitic drag of more weight and a lower gear ratio may lead to being slower not faster. It certainly will not help you on the track as the overside tires won't have any more rubber in contact in turns and the additional rotational mass will slow both acceleration and deceleration. On the street or track you'll go through brakes faster.
Not quite understanding the highlighted portion... how would a 275 tire not provide more rubber to the road than a 255 tire even on a 9" wheel? Greater section width, greater tread width...

I would also suspect that the increase in dimension and extra weight of a couple of pounds would largely be academic but that is only me speculating.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM

NA
A forum member Derek runs wider tires on 19 inch OEM wheels (Edition 1) - see his thread on this as well. He did a trackday on those and liked the wider tire setup. Would be great if he could add to this conversation.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I'm running 275/30/19 no problems.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I am running 285's in the rear with the stock 5 spoke rims. Absolutely no rubbing.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by gthal
Not quite understanding the highlighted portion... how would a 275 tire not provide more rubber to the road than a 255 tire even on a 9" wheel? Greater section width, greater tread width...

I would also suspect that the increase in dimension and extra weight of a couple of pounds would largely be academic but that is only me speculating.

The 275 will provide more rubber in a straight line even with wheels that are not wide enough 9" in this case. However in a turn the weight of the car shifts to the outside pushing the wheel outward while the tire is maintaining grip with the surface. As cornering forces build the inside edge of the wheel moves towards the center line of the tire. If the tire is over sized, the inner lip of the wheel pulls on the tire's inner sidewall and causes the tread to be rolled upwards. The tire sidewalls have already been stretched way outside the edges of the wheels and they have no place else to move but up. If the tire and wheel width are properly match the inside edge of the tire is not pulled upwards as there is sufficient wheel width to allow the tire to flex without losing contact. Think of it a situation in which extreme cornering forces cause the wheels/tires on one side of the car come off the surface.

I would agree that the extra weight on the street of a couple of pounds of unsprung weight at each corner is likely academic. Nobody in there right mind tries to drive 100% of car and driver ability on the street. However look at the the great lenghts manufacturers go to reduce unsprung weight (especially rotational mass) as the mass is greatly magnified by centrifical force. Ceramic brakes, aluminum suspension members, hollow spoke wheels, inboard shock absorbers, alloy lug bolts, hollow roll bars, etc. I have personally noticed the difference when on a previous car I change wheels and tires (same size) at a savings of 5lbs per corner. The car instantly felt more nimble, quick and stopped faster. The only emperical date I could offer were consistantly lower lap times and less brake fade the next time I took the car to the track.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by Merc63

+1.
Putting larger tyres on a car does not necessarily provide any improvement...in some cases it will create deterioration in handling....yes, particularly "tramlining".
Wider rubber on the rear, "may" provide a little extra traction, in a straight line, IF that increased rubber is actually in contact with the road. Increased rubber on the front can lead to all sorts of handling problems.
AMG have gone to a great deal of trouble to get the C63 "right".....I would not be running bigger rubber on mine.
I've seen several instances of side by side testing over the years, where a change in wheel/rubber size has actually resulted in slower track times.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
Originally Posted by Pickles
+1.
Putting larger tyres on a car does not necessarily provide any improvement...in some cases it will create deterioration in handling....yes, particularly "tramlining".
Wider rubber on the rear, "may" provide a little extra traction, in a straight line, IF that increased rubber is actually in contact with the road. Increased rubber on the front can lead to all sorts of handling problems.
AMG have gone to a great deal of trouble to get the C63 "right".....I would not be running bigger rubber on mine.
I've seen several instances of side by side testing over the years, where a change in wheel/rubber size has actually resulted in slower track times.
Cheers, Pickles.
+1. I'm all for AMG knows whats right for our cars and not from Joe on the block! That is the whole reason we spend hard end money to experience there hard end work in AMG's.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
+1. I'm all for AMG knows whats right for our cars and not from Joe on the block! That is the whole reason we spend hard end money to experience there hard end work in AMG's.
Or maybe they made compromise based choices in design... like the pano roof that the designers/engineers did not want but the marketing guys did. There is no other way to slice it other than tire size was a compromise. They could have gone wider and tuned the suspension accordingly... look at the BS with its 255/285 set up. My guess is they did not do this on the base C63 so they could have an upgrade on the BS. The difference in tramlining from going from a 235 to 255 front is nominal. The difference in grip going from a 255 rear to a 285 is meaningful in my experience.

Remember... all manufacturers make design compromises for one reason or the other. Just because the car comes with anemic 235/255 tires does not mean it is the best choice.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Had to post one more time so I can reach 500 posts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can 2012 c63 amg go for wider tire?