C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Did I get screwed over?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Did I get screwed over?

Ok, so I got my C63 last week. Everything is good and dandy.

The service of the car is due in 25 days. Prior to leasing, the salesperson told me that the guy who's giving back the car will pay for the service. So I said that's ok, since it was very soon.

Today I go meet with the salesperson, and the guy says I will tell you of the place where your car will get serviced. So I looked at him, wondering, "I thought it would be here, at SilverStar (for those that don't know, SilverStar is a Canadian dealer in Montreal)" He was like "No no, it's somewhere else, I'll tell you where, they will change the oil and filters, don't worry about it, don't worry about it".

I can take the blame perhaps for not asking initially to have the service done at a Mercedes dealer, but should I feel like I was screwed over? I feel helpless and I am not sure I can complain since the guy technically no longer owns the car and I do. According to the salesperson, the previous owner had already paid him so "you shouldn't worry" -- but I'm not sure if it's ok to service my car at somewhere other than the dealer.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
Originally Posted by someuser

The service of the car is due in 25 days. Prior to leasing, the salesperson told me that the guy who's giving back the car will pay for the service. So I said that's ok, since it was very soon.

Today I go meet with the salesperson, and the guy says I will tell you of the place where your car will get serviced. So I looked at him, wondering, "I thought it would be here, at SilverStar (for those that don't know, SilverStar is a Canadian dealer in Montreal)" He was like "No no, it's somewhere else, I'll tell you where, they will change the oil and filters, don't worry about it, don't worry about it".

I can take the blame perhaps for not asking initially to have the service done at a Mercedes dealer, but should I feel like I was screwed over? I feel helpless and I am not sure I can complain since the guy technically no longer owns the car and I do. According to the salesperson, the previous owner had already paid him so "you shouldn't worry" -- but I'm not sure if it's ok to service my car at somewhere other than the dealer.

Thanks.
Basic service can be done by anyone. If it's a half competent mechanic there are no issues.

The dealership cannot void warranty for getting service elsewhere. Just get the records, and make sure silverstar says there will not be any warranty issues from servicing it outside.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Not screwed over rather caught out by a minor bit of fine print.
The car was sold to you with full service history which when the car gets this service will be correct representation. However you have assumed that because you bought it from a MB dealer it must have full MB service history. No rules around where you get it serviced ie dealer or not in terms of warranty but everything else being equal there MAY be more value in a used C63 with a full MB service history.
If you are really concerned about a non dealer service you might be able to get SilverStar to do the service instead of the other place and cover the difference as a gesture of goodwill. Worth a try. Failing that move on but never darken their doorstep again.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Be careful with this if you want to extend your warranty!!

I had all my services done at the dealer. I did the last service (oil) change myself... They wont sell me extended warranty now.

They wanted to see a service history at a dealer... Who's to say they will accept a non-benz service....

I'd make sure you ask parts first.. They are the ones who sell the extended warranties...
Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Screwed is too strong a word, mislead would go closer. Anyway, be happy you are driving one of the truly great cars available today.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 AM

C63
I am happy and thankful that I am driving one of the greatest cars, but I don't want to go to the dealer about an issue and realize that my warranty has been void because of an oil change!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
The dealer will always try to find a way to make you spend more on service. This is just a tactic.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM

C63
If I go ahead and do it outside a dealer, there will not be a record of that anywhere at Mercedes.

I'm not sure if that's an ok thing since according to the tech guy that I met yesterday, each car will have a service history visible by Mercedes Toronto and Germany (one database for all).
Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Ask that Silver Star performs the service at a 30% discount and pay out of pocket. You're talking about a couple hundred dollars.

It's pretty lame that they'd sell you a car 25 days out from needing a service in the first place.

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 02-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
If I go ahead and do it outside a dealer, there will not be a record of that anywhere at Mercedes.

I'm not sure if that's an ok thing since according to the tech guy that I met yesterday, each car will have a service history visible by Mercedes Toronto and Germany (one database for all).
Keep the receipt from that INDY shop that is performing the oil change. They can't void your warranty over that if you have proof. I do my own oil changes, but I keep all the receipts that I get from the parts counter at the dealership.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Also it would be a good idea to develope a spreadsheet, where you can capture the date, mileage and other information to keep for your records. If your a DIYer like me.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan

Thanks.
As long as it is not a chop shop I wouldnt worry about it
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM

C63
I spoke with the sales manager a few days ago and told him exactly what happened. But of course I also said, if your salesperson doesn't want me to service the car at your dealer, that's perfectly fine, I'll just take it elsewhere from now on and never come back to Silver Star...

The next day the salesperson informs me that the car will be serviced at Silver Star.

Happy story.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I spoke with the sales manager a few days ago and told him exactly what happened. But of course I also said, if your salesperson doesn't want me to service the car at your dealer, that's perfectly fine, I'll just take it elsewhere from now on and never come back to Silver Star...

The next day the salesperson informs me that the car will be serviced at Silver Star.

Happy story.
My friend used to work at Silver Star. He used to always tell me stories of shyt like this all the time. I'm glad that you got it resolved and they valued you as a customer.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Glad to hear it worked out for you especially if you want it serviced at SilverStar.

btw, did they mean it was going to be serviced at another MB dealer or jiffy lube? MB west-island is also an AMG performance center if that matters to you.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:30 AM

C63
Originally Posted by crazy1eye
Glad to hear it worked out for you especially if you want it serviced at SilverStar.

btw, did they mean it was going to be serviced at another MB dealer or jiffy lube? MB west-island is also an AMG performance center if that matters to you.
Funny thing is, when I was talking to the sales manager he said there must be a misunderstanding since we have another facility that's owned by Silver Star and probably the salesperson meant that. I told him not at all. The salesperson specifically said the previous owner didn't want to pay much (even though, his car was serviced all this time at MB West Island).

Oh well, yeah it was some random shop that I don't know...
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM

C63
I saw another owner yesterday with a C63. Felt good. lol
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM

2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
lol, I'm driving mine, actually my wife had it yesterday & she works down the street from SilverStar.

Ya, SilverStar & Rive-Sud are the same owner or associated.

I had my service B done just last month at SilverStar & because mine is still on lease I let them do it all, for service B west-island wanted $699 & SilverStar was $649 so i guess the previous owner didn't shop around.

Last edited by crazy1eye; 02-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM

C63
Ever since I started driving mine (3 weeks) this is the first C63 I see on the roads...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Ya, SilverStar & Rive-Sud are the same owner or associated.
No. Silver Star is a private dealer; Rive-Sud is a Mercedes-Benz Canada corporate retail store (as is West Island).
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM

2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
No. Silver Star is a private dealer; Rive-Sud is a Mercedes-Benz Canada corporate retail store (as is West Island).
oops! Your right. I remembered one of the websites showing both & thought it was SilverStar
Old 02-24-2012, 05:33 PM

C63
oops! Your right. I remembered one of the websites showing both & thought it was SilverStar
Exactly. Otherwise Silver Star wouldn't have existed. It would be Mercedes-Benz.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 C63 AMG, 03 C320 Sport Coupe 96 Mustang
Kind of a "missed expectations" type story. I'm sure we would have all assumed that it would have been done at the selling dealer. Glad it worked out for you in the end - nice tactic to use

I bought my cal from West Island and they seemed pretty nice there. I had my C320 in for service before I even looked at the C63, and the C320 needed a nuch of suspension/brakes other stuff and was going to cost a lot. Once they heard I was looking at the C63 the nService guy calls me back and asks if I want to hold off on some of the repairs, or how I want to shcedule it. That was a nice touch as I did hold off on a bunch of it and ended up buying the C63. I still have the C320 but still haven't done the brakes/wheel bearings yet as I've been driving the C63 since end of Oct.

I've been driving it around the West Island during the week since then as I'm managing a project there (even tho I live in Ottawa). Haven't seen another C63 in Montreal at all yet.