C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
View Poll Results: Tire Package or No Tire Package?
Tire Package
9.09%
No Tire Package
90.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Tires on 2012 C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Sedan
Tires on 2012 C63

When I was about to decide on the final price of my vehicle today, the business manager strongly suggested the tire package. I live in Manhattan, so I believe that could be an issue. The manager explained to me that if I did not order the package, I would be the first customer to buy a C-Class AMG sedan in her 15 years of working at the dealer who did not purchase the package. The package was worth about 2-2.5k (can't remember exactly) and she went on and on about how many tires and rims I would blow out and chip, etc. and that they would charge me maybe 700 for a new tire and 3200 for a new rim if I did not have the package. I got nervous, but realized that 1) there must be some that did not actually purchase the package, and 2) why would they be pushing the package so hard if they were not making money!!?? I plan to keep this vehicle on the east end of long island (where the roads are definitely less rough), so that was another reason I did not decide to go with the package.

Who has purchased the tire protection package, and has it been worth it?

How often are you guys blowing out tires or chipping rims?

Maybe I should just buy the tires myself (because I can definitely get them cheaper than 700 a piece especially if they are only Continental Extremes, or Pirelli P-Zeros or whatever) and have the dealer put them on?

They tell me that the car is coming with some type of Continental Extreme tires but are considered ultra-high performance all season. Essentially, have you guys had better luck with different types of tires?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Definitely take a pamphlet and have a read through the fine print. IIRC, the wheel and tire protection package doesn't cover wear and tear and driver error (i.e. curbing your rims etc.).
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 AM

2012 C63 Sedan
Haven't read though, but took one with me. The way she described it to me was clearly that it did cover those types of accidents, but I am sure you a right. Btw, your new configuration on your 2012 sounds amazing. I'm guessing you didn't get the tire package, and have you had an issues thus far?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Thanks. Are you in Canada? Canada gets a bunch of optional packages in the US standard, but our MSRP is a bit higher.

I did not get the wheel and tire protection package. They were really harping on me to get it. There is always a catch I find with protection packages like this.

No issues thus far, but I'm still in the break in period. I don't think I've read on this forum anyone who has damaged their rim due to it failing and not on driver error. Check the fine print for sure, I recall them pushing the windshield protection package on me, but I learned that there are a lot of caveats you have to watch out for to ensure you remain covered (must report chips and cracks within 3 days at specific locations, need to meet certain criteria before eligible for replacement windshield, etc.). I know a common one is on other vehicles, if you get undercoating, you have to go back once every year for an inspection to keep the warranty intact or it becomes null and void.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
umm I was not even offered this "package". I say dont go for it. Its just a protection plan with some fine print to f u over anyway... Do you blow your tires and curb your rims on a daily basis?

I feel like this is a lie, especially since the C class amg has not even been out for 15 years.

Also the continentals on our cars cost 300 a piece...how could they charge you 700? LOL also I bet the rims wont cost 3200 a piece even if you buy them from the parts dept.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
oh and the contis that come with the car are summer tires, not all seasons.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I didn't get it because the tires wear out so fast and if I crunch a stock wheel it gives me a good excuse to buy some nice after market ones.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
All of your quoted costs are inflated. New OEM rims from the dealer are about 1500 ea. High Performance summer tires are around $300 ea. You don't get all-seasons with the C63, they come with summer tires standard. If you have a wheel defect (I had a small hole develop on the inside portion of a wheel barrel once) that is covered by your normal vehicle warranty. Bottom line, don't get it.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Strafe1
All of your quoted costs are inflated. New OEM rims from the dealer are about 1500 ea. High Performance summer tires are around $300 ea. You don't get all-seasons with the C63, they come with summer tires standard. If you have a wheel defect (I had a small hole develop on the inside portion of a wheel barrel once) that is covered by your normal vehicle warranty. Bottom line, don't get it.
I got them for a little over half that!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM

2012 C63 Sedan
Illusive: In the US. I know packages are a little bit different here. The dealer might have other protection packages, but I might just leave that up to Geico.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM

2012 C63 Sedan
natman316: I've never owned a high performance car like this before, so the way the dealer was describing it to me I just thought that the tires on this thing would be so low-profile and so thin that they would blow out everyday. However, I am a pretty careful driver in general, and I do not have issues with my current cars, but none are super high performance. Also, I know the contis are definitely 300 a piece in reality, so I could just order them from someone like tirerack.com and have someone install it for me.

Strafe1: I am sure you a right about the prices, but I could have sworn those were the numbers the business manger quoted me. Wouldn't be surprised if she is just trying to rip me off. Thanks for letting me know about summer performance tires. My salesman specifically told me they come with all-seasons at this time of the year, but I researched and you are definitely correct that the continentals I saw on the car couldn't be ultra-high performance all-season.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM

12 MB C63
I purchased mine vehicle from the dealer and they are also suggest me to buy the tire package. They are saying that each tires are worth a lot of money, and if you screw that up, you have to pay for $$$. I mean, it doesn't worth that much in reality, if you go check somewhere else. Definitely, it is not my DD car, so I wouldn't be so fustrated about that. I would say, it is useless. You will not be worry about it if you are not driving like a race car
Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by XAM989
natman316: I've never owned a high performance car like this before, so the way the dealer was describing it to me I just thought that the tires on this thing would be so low-profile and so thin that they would blow out everyday. However, I am a pretty careful driver in general, and I do not have issues with my current cars, but none are super high performance. Also, I know the contis are definitely 300 a piece in reality, so I could just order them from someone like tirerack.com and have someone install it for me.

Strafe1: I am sure you a right about the prices, but I could have sworn those were the numbers the business manger quoted me. Wouldn't be surprised if she is just trying to rip me off. Thanks for letting me know about summer performance tires. My salesman specifically told me they come with all-seasons at this time of the year, but I researched and you are definitely correct that the continentals I saw on the car couldn't be ultra-high performance all-season.
yeah they were definitely trying to rip you off imo. I mean yes the c63 does have relatively low profile tires but that doesnt mean they will blow out all the time. look at all the exotics in Manhattan! otherwise there will just be a traffic jam caused by exotic cars with blown tires haha.

which dealer is this by the way. sounds like they arent very honest to their customer.

the only things my dealer tried to sell me after i got the car was the DuPont paint and interior protection. The business manager made it sound like someone will inevitably throw up in my car and it would smell forever unless I got the interior protection I didnt get any of those though.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM

'14.5 RR LWB, '14 s63, '14 Ford Raptor Screw, '13 G63
Did they offer you the Multi-Shield package? It's tires/rims, windshield, and dent protection in one package. I had my wheels painted black and it was just an extra 35 bucks for that to be protected. I have 18's on my '12 c63 coupe so it helps a bit but I know with the potholes here in Manhattan and even on the island, i will blow at least a few tires.

I think they are overcharging you, I paid $1320 for the entire package. I got a '11 G55 from a dealer in Jersey and they charged me a ton more, I can't remember how much off the top of my head but I know it was way more than double. Which dealer are you going to, maybe you can PM me if you don't want to post it.

I am in Manhattan too and similar to you most of my driving is taking it out to the east end of Long Island. The LIE especially between the Midtown Tunnel and exit 22 is full of opportunities to damage or blow out the tire, especially if you're in the fast lane.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:50 PM

2012 C63 AMG
i have the package trust me it doesnt cover wear and tear only stuff like the tire popping and you bending your rim, and come on how often does that happen
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM

'14.5 RR LWB, '14 s63, '14 Ford Raptor Screw, '13 G63
I think it's different for every owner. For me, $1320 for the multi shield was worth it to me for the peace of mind. I know it won't cover wear and tear but I live in a severely congested city and drive in areas where the roads aren't always great and you can't always swerve to avoid potholes. I had purchased tire protection on my now sold 911 turbo and within a week, I blew out a tire and the dealer replaced it and didn't cost me a dime. But I also purchased it on an e63 sedan and never used it so I gave them money.
I think some people don't worry about it and some people like to know it's there. I belong to the latter group.
I do think that the price they are offering you for just the wheel protection is really high though.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:41 PM

2012 C63 AMG
yea i paid 1,000
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
why pay 1000 dollars to protect a 300 dollar tire. i dont understand
Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
I paid $1,000 dollars in run flats for my BMW. The tire pack is worth it.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by gthal
I got them for a little over half that!
In the U.S., from an MB dealer? Their normal price or a special arrangement?