Questions about a 2010 C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lexus is300
Questions about a 2010 C63

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, First Post!. Currently i drive a 2003 lexus is300 and i really enjoy it as when i was young i always wanted it. But now that its getting close to 100k miles i wanted some more. Before i get married and / or have kids i wanted a high end car. Some friends turned me to the AMG series and every since i test drove the c63 it was amazing car. I just have some questions with people who own one. I looked at a black on that was listed for 58k with 5k miles on it. It seems like a very good deal which includes 100k warranty that covers everything but wear and tear items. ( Brakes, oil, tires ). Mostly i am just wondering about the payment. It seems if i put anywhere from 5k - 10k down i still would have around a 900-1000 dollar a month payment. Which i never bought such a high end car before so its different to pay that much for a car. Currently i am able to put into savings over half of my check a month after my house payment and car payment with all my bills.

Is there anything you wish you knew before buying the car?
Have there been any hidden cost that surprised you?
Any suggestions before buying the car?

Thanks for any insight in this car.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by topsub
Hey everyone,

New to the forum, First Post!. Currently i drive a 2003 lexus is300 and i really enjoy it as when i was young i always wanted it. But now that its getting close to 100k miles i wanted some more. Before i get married and / or have kids i wanted a high end car. Some friends turned me to the AMG series and every since i test drove the c63 it was amazing car. I just have some questions with people who own one. I looked at a black on that was listed for 58k with 5k miles on it. It seems like a very good deal which includes 100k warranty that covers everything but wear and tear items. ( Brakes, oil, tires ). Mostly i am just wondering about the payment. It seems if i put anywhere from 5k - 10k down i still would have around a 900-1000 dollar a month payment. Which i never bought such a high end car before so its different to pay that much for a car. Currently i am able to put into savings over half of my check a month after my house payment and car payment with all my bills.

Is there anything you wish you knew before buying the car?
Have there been any hidden cost that surprised you?
Any suggestions before buying the car?

Thanks for any insight in this car.
The 2 things that you should save for is gas money and tire money. It will drink gas like it's free and chew through tires. Other than that, happy driving!!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM

lexus is300
i have to drive 80 miles round trip now. I was thinking of keeping the lexus to do that but then i thought. why buy a 60k car if i wont' drive it. The dealer said tickets also
Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
I think for you should consider using your money to do a 36 month lease instead of buying an old C63, which I don't think it's worth keeping in the long run. $58 is a bit much for a MY2010, and if it doesn't have P31, then you should forget about it. Gas and tires cost a bit but it is expected. Also service from your local MB dealership will make or break your ownership experience so do some research on that too.

Sheep
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

lexus is300
Originally Posted by Sheep
I think for you should consider using your money to do a 36 month lease instead of buying an old C63, which I don't think it's worth keeping in the long run. $58 is a bit much for a MY2010, and if it doesn't have P31, then you should forget about it. Gas and tires cost a bit but it is expected. Also service from your local MB dealership will make or break your ownership experience so do some research on that too.

Sheep
Would my idea of using it as a primary car to up to 100k and then trade it off not work as i expect? During the summer i drive my motorcycle to work if its not raining.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Sheep

Sheep
Why would you say that? How do you know what the OP will use it for? A non P31 has PLENTY of power for someone who daily drives and doesn't track. YOU CAN"T GO 175+ and BURN EVERY CORNER IN CITY STREETS EVEN IF YOU HAVE P31. P31 is a great option, and even cooler for bragging rights for most people who have it. You are talking a 30 hp + or - difference between the 2. What a waste of a good potential car if he can get a great deal. Don't be pompus and narrow minded. You have P31 and your car just sits in your damn garage 90% of the time...

To the OP: if you can get a great deal, and the car is what you like and you feel like you won't "NEED" the added power, I say look further into it... GL and ask away with any further questions...
Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM

lexus is300
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Why would you say that? How do you know what the OP will use it for? A non P31 has PLENTY of power for someone who daily drives and doesn't track. YOU CAN"T GO 175+ and BURN EVERY CORNER IN CITY STREETS EVEN IF YOU HAVE P31. P31 is a great option, and even cooler for bragging rights for most people who have it. You are talking a 30 hp + or - difference between the 2. What a waste of a good potential car if he can get a great deal. Don't be pompus and narrow minded. You have P31 and your car just sits in your damn garage 90% of the time...

To the OP: if you can get a great deal, and the car is what you like and you feel like you won't "NEED" the added power, I say look further into it... GL and ask away with any further questions...
he said the car i looked at had ~450 hp and for a daily driver it seems to have plenty of power. I just wanted to ask people who had them if they had any surprised after buying the car that 'oh crap i wish i knew that before i bought it' Of course love more power but being i want for daily driver a nice balance of power / gas mileage with a nice car is what i am after. Its a unique car that i really haven't see around much.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM

2012 C63C
he said the car i looked at had ~450 hp and for a daily driver it seems to have plenty of power. I just wanted to ask people who had them if they had any surprised after buying the car that 'oh crap i wish i knew that before i bought it' Of course love more power but being i want for daily driver a nice balance of power / gas mileage with a nice car is what i am after. Its a unique car that i really haven't see around much.
You might not care about this but there is going to be a complete body style change in 2014. I am not sure exactly when.
If you buy that car for all that much money and a brand spanking new AMG is out there in just 2 years for a tad more $$, would you be okay with that?
Id say if you really want a C63 now, go find a good lease deal and return the car when the new model comes out.
My MB dealer promised to let me out of lease 4-8 months early if i am getting another MB.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

lexus is300
Originally Posted by kasp123
You might not care about this but there is going to be a complete body style change in 2014. I am not sure exactly when.
If you buy that car for all that much money and a brand spanking new AMG is out there in just 2 years for a tad more $$, would you be okay with that?
Id say if you really want a C63 now, go find a good lease deal and return the car when the new model comes out.
My MB dealer promised to let me out of lease 4-8 months early if i am getting another MB.
I guess the biggest thing is i really don't want to spend more then 60k on a car. This one i am looking at new was around 68k according to the original papers he showed me. So it would lead me to believe in 2014 would be around that cost of 70k. So i would be okay with it. might love it but out of the price range i want to stay in.

EDIT: also about leasing it doesn't seem i would be able to because as a daily driver i would average about 20k miles a year due to my job. So if i recall a lease only gives you around 13k. So i would be paying out the *** for mileage.

Last edited by topsub; 02-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
I guess the biggest thing is i really don't want to spend more then 60k on a car. This one i am looking at new was around 68k according to the original papers he showed me.
I got my car with a 68k sticker for around 63. so if you dont mind going a little over 60, you can definitely find a decently optioned new one. The interior alone is worth it imo, we have a 2009 c class at home too and is not as nice as the 2012
Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM

lexus is300
Originally Posted by natman316
I got my car with a 68k sticker for around 63. so if you dont mind going a little over 60, you can definitely find a decently optioned new one. The interior alone is worth it imo, we have a 2009 c class at home too and is not as nice as the 2012
also on new cars they only do a 60k miles warranty where with the used one i get all the way up 100k, Knowing i will do that kind of mileage might be a good advantage of the used one.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM

2012 C63C
also on new cars they only do a 60k miles warranty where with the used one i get all the way up 100k, Knowing i will do that kind of mileage might be a good advantage of the used one.
LOL
it sounds like you have made up your mind.
Go for it before you change your mind!!
Either way, you can't go wrong.
Its an awesome ride!!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM

lexus is300
How does these things hold there value. Once they get around 100k miles. do they still sell well?

Last edited by topsub; 02-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
I wouldn't hold my breath in terms of resale value. It's an AMG after all - you pay the premium for the fun factor & brand. Quite different from a Lexus that typically holds its value better.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM

lexus is300
Originally Posted by derspi
I wouldn't hold my breath in terms of resale value. It's an AMG after all - you pay the premium for the fun factor & brand. Quite different from a Lexus that typically holds its value better.
my hope would be if i did a 5 yr load i would sell it just before it hit 100k and as everyone plans their career to keep going up to get another one.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG

Don't get me wrong about the P31 as a non-P31 C63 is perfectly fine in my book. However, if my current car, a 3000 miles P31 MY2010 is only worth $55k, then an asking price of $58k for a 5000 miles non-P31 MY2010 makes no sense. Since the OP has his own DD and the C63 is mostly for weekends, then he can stretch his money further by leasing a MY2012 for less money, and then walk away Scott-free when it ends.

Sheep
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM

2010 C63
invest some of your money in oil company lol....love my car but hate going to the pump every other day lmao

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The 2 things that you should save for is gas money and tire money. It will drink gas like it's free and chew through tires. Other than that, happy driving!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
my hope would be if i did a 5 yr load i would sell it just before it hit 100k and as everyone plans their career to keep going up to get another one.
This is just a guess, but a MY2010 with 100k miles being sold in 2017 will most likely only worth ~11k or less. That means you will be out $50k + tax and other stuff for your ownership. I am pretty sure that if you lease a MY2012 for 36 months and keep your IS300 or bike as your DD, you will end up with a newer car plus cost less than $50k total. If you get a 15k mile lease for 36 months and drove 100k in that time, you will need to buy 55k miles at the end of lease for 10 cents a mile = $5500. So let say your monthly is $1000, then that still only $41500. Of course this is only my guess and someone please correct me, but I do hope you see my point. My bottom line for you is that $58k is just too much for that car and you need to get it lower than $54k to make this worth while. Hope this helps.

Sheep
Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
A high performance car like this holds some value, but loses it dramatically with the kind of mileage you're talking about. 100k miles on a cruising sedan is way different than 100k on your "harder driven" sports car, especially as perceived by the used car buying market.
As for unexpected costs...that depends on what your "individual" expectations are. Gas for sure. Rear tires, yes. Ownership tax? depends where you live.
This is a fun, fast luxury car that needs to be driven. If that applies to you, then don't hesitate!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Better have lots of money for Gas, Tires and Maintenance!!

Services are around 500-600 bucks, or more.. A brake job is 4k...

**** aint cheap, but sure is fun.