C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Wavetrac vs. Quaife LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of fast cars.
Wavetrac vs. Quaife LSD

considering buying the wavetrac, anyone have input? http://www.autotech.com/mm5/merchant...5WK&wavetrac=1
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by derek
considering buying the wavetrac, anyone have input? http://www.autotech.com/mm5/merchant...5WK&wavetrac=1

Never heard of it, but it looks good. But I would stick with Quaife since it has been tested and known to disterbute power equally to both wheels
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
I have the Wavetrac and even with several track weekends I have had no problems with it at all. Is it worth the extra money over the Quaife? I don't know. But the Wavetrac does offer more lockup and lockup on decel, which the Quaife doesn't.

I will say that under very hard braking from very high speeds (threshold braking from ~140), the rear end gets a bit twitchy. Seems to be the LSD working against the ABS a little bit (or vice-versa). Not too bad, but it does get your attention and sometimes sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around in the trunk.

Having said all that, if I did it again, I would probably spend some extra and get the OS Giken.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
autotech was the ONLY company willing to build a lsd for the slk32/srt-6. they built a quality unit and is warrentied to 1000 hp for life. quaiffe wasnt interested in building anything for us. at the drag strip i dont really notice nay difference but the piece of mind is worth the cost. on a road course or a twisty mountain road the difference is substantial. also having the manufacturer in the us to handle any issues is another plus. according to dana at autotech every single prototype installed is still in service
Old 02-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
They are both good units. The Autotech use to be the U.S. wholesale distributor for Quaife, take that as you will. The main difference is that the wavetrac under zero load conditions still locks. Where the Quaife does not. The real benefit of the wavetrac is if you lift a wheel off the ground it will still put power through the other wheel where the Quaife will go open like there is no lsd. This however is not normally a problem. Also all Quaife units are warrentied through the dealer network in the U.S. So no worries there.
The OS Giken is pretty awesome but $$$$. Unless you are tracking a lot I can not see the justification. I have and have put in many Quaife units and have nothing bad to say about it. You can feel the momentary transitions between unload and load when driving hard through the turns but once you get use to it, it does not seem weird. Under normal driving it is as it was not even there.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by whipplem104
They are both good units. The Autotech use to be the U.S. wholesale distributor for Quaife, take that as you will. The main difference is that the wavetrac under zero load conditions still locks. Where the Quaife does not. The real benefit of the wavetrac is if you lift a wheel off the ground it will still put power through the other wheel where the Quaife will go open like there is no lsd. This however is not normally a problem. Also all Quaife units are warrentied through the dealer network in the U.S. So no worries there.
The OS Giken is pretty awesome but $$$$. Unless you are tracking a lot I can not see the justification. I have and have put in many Quaife units and have nothing bad to say about it. You can feel the momentary transitions between unload and load when driving hard through the turns but once you get use to it, it does not seem weird. Under normal driving it is as it was not even there.

Quick question...i have heard that the lsd might interfere with the traction control....if I install a quaife in the c63, does any thing need to be flashed with the electronic traction control or will it just cope with the lsd since its mechanical?

And if anyone knows anyone that's selling one, I would be interested...

Thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
There is no issue with the traction control at all. If anything I think it compliments the traction control.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM

A couple of fast cars.
Thanks for the replies, think I will roll with the Wavetrac.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 AM

2011 C63
Just ordered the WaveTrac as well this past week. The main reason for me was that since I live in Canada and it is my daily driver, black ice could mimic the situation with one wheel lifting. Hopefully, I won't have to test this theory...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
is the wavetrac unit bolt-in as the quaife one?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
I have the Wavetrac and even with several track weekends I have had no problems with it at all. Is it worth the extra money over the Quaife? I don't know. But the Wavetrac does offer more lockup and lockup on decel, which the Quaife doesn't.

I will say that under very hard braking from very high speeds (threshold braking from ~140), the rear end gets a bit twitchy. Seems to be the LSD working against the ABS a little bit (or vice-versa). Not too bad, but it does get your attention and sometimes sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around in the trunk.

Having said all that, if I did it again, I would probably spend some extra and get the OS Giken.
Sounds like the approach to turn 1 at Roebling We have scheduled a rental in August for 60 cars max. Check clubregistration.net and look for Flatout Motorsports.