C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

LSD ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
LSD ....

I love my car but I'm far from being a mechanic or having any real technical knowledge, so I have to ask my fellow experts:

What's the pros/cons of having LSD when I don't plan to race my car and I live in the NE (with four real seasons).

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
IMO, there are benefits to an LSD even for those who don't track their cars but the benefit is reduced and therefore the cost/benefit decision becomes more relevant. An LSD will provide better traction for any aggressive or spirited driving... coming out of corners, heavy footed acceleration, etc. It should also provide benefit in bad weather as you will also get better traction to the road. I think you will need to think about how you use the vehicle to determine whether it is worth it for you. IMO, it is absolutely needed on a car with this much torque and this little rubber.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Your tires will last 2-3 times longer! A set of rears runs $700+ (Its a no brainer IMO)
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

I reckon the L.S.D. should be standard on the C63.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by gthal
IMO, there are benefits to an LSD even for those who don't track their cars but the benefit is reduced and therefore the cost/benefit decision becomes more relevant. An LSD will provide better traction for any aggressive or spirited driving... coming out of corners, heavy footed acceleration, etc. It should also provide benefit in bad weather as you will also get better traction to the road. I think you will need to think about how you use the vehicle to determine whether it is worth it for you. IMO, it is absolutely needed on a car with this much torque and this little rubber.
Great info, +1
Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
The LSD has safety benefits as well. In adverse conditions, you'll have better traction. The diff is nowhere near the complexity of the M diff which is able to lock both wheels together 100%.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM

2013 C63
Should I get LSD from the dealer as an option or should I get an aftermarket system which I would get installed???

Does anyone know how much it costs to get LSD installed and does it void warranty (aftermarket)??
Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
Originally Posted by Niktel
Should I get LSD from the dealer as an option or should I get an aftermarket system which I would get installed???

Does anyone know how much it costs to get LSD installed and does it void warranty (aftermarket)??
the one from the factory is pretty good but you dont get to choose your lock up percentage like you would on an aftermarket one. if you do not plan on tracking the car, just get the factory option. an lsd will void your rear end warranty but not the entire car. i did have an lsd installed on a new car once and it voided my drive train warranty but really, it isnt anything to worry about. i never had any problems with mine and it made it 5 years, no problems.

Oh, and its about 2 grand for a good one plus installation.

Last edited by CELLryuu; 03-04-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 PM

2013 C63
Originally Posted by CELLryuu
the one from the factory is pretty good but you dont get to choose your lock up percentage like you would on an aftermarket one. if you do not plan on tracking the car, just get the factory option. an lsd will void your rear end warranty but not the entire car. i did have an lsd installed on a new car once and it voided my drive train warranty but really, it isnt anything to worry about. i never had any problems with mine and it made it 5 years, no problems.

Oh, and its about 2 grand for a good one plus installation.
Thanks, that was well stated. I guess i'm sticking with the factory option since I wont be tracking my car too much.