C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Track wheels that require centering rings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Track wheels that require centering rings?

I was looking at a set of wheels that will see track duty. The one thing that is holding me back is that they are not hub centric for the C63 and require centering rings.

Lots of folks report issues with aluminum centering rings fusing to the hub (less so with anti-seize but not completely gone) and others claim the plastic ones melt or crack under track stress. On top of that... here is a quote from Tirerack on the subject...

Before going on the track

Make certain that the wheel's installation hardware is correct for the vehicle and in good condition. Since almost all of today's cars are designed with hub centric wheels which transfer the vehicle's load from the center of the wheel to the car's hub (and allow the lug nuts/bolts to just hold the wheel against the hub), it is important that track wheels continue to be hub centric to help distribute the forces encountered on the track.
Would any of you track junkies be concerned with having track wheels that required centering rings. My inclination is to not go this route. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
I wouldn't do it. There's a thread on the boards here where I think all of the bolts sheared off, save for one. The wheel stayed on the car, luckily. Not sure though what the cause was. It was an aftermarket wheel that required centering rings, possibly one was left off when the tech put the wheel back on.