C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AMG Development package c63 coupe is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl550
AMG Development package c63 coupe is it worth it?

Hey Guys:

I'm getting out of 620hp corvette z06 into our merc c63 coupe. I just test drove the standard c63 and the c63 with the amg development package with limited slip dif.

It was hard for me to tell the difference in power although I am coming from a much faster car. Is the development package really worth the extra 6k or should i spend it elsewhere on xenons, keyless start etc..?

The red calipers didn't look so good in person, look more orangey red than actual red with the gray spoke wheels and a black exterior. I really like the other amg wheel option its more open and u can see the brakes better but seems to be hard to find out there.

The suede steering wheel was a cool option but i don't see the point if i'm not racing around the track.

Can anyone give me some feedback if its really worth it for 30hp, ecu tune etc ? Or is better to save the 6k and mod it?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Depends on how much warranty is worth to you? P31 and you get a tune and keep the warranty. After market tune and you have warranty issues. Worth it to me but I also like the LSD and red calipers and carbon fiber trim that comes with it here.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by gthal
Depends on how much warranty is worth to you? P31 and you get a tune and keep the warranty. After market tune and you have warranty issues. Worth it to me but I also like the LSD and red calipers and carbon fiber trim that comes with it here.
x2. it depends if you plan to mod the car or not. if you are....it might not be worth it since I believe if you tune both cars you are about the same? (P31 would end up being a little faster because of lighter internals...but the 30+hp difference stock is all down to the tune I believe).

LSD and CF trim are not included with the PP if you are in America...just a heads up
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Simple. If you plan on modding or doing anything that jeopardizes your warranty...skip p31. If you want to preserve 100% of the warranty and don't want to take any chances, get the p31 pkg.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
its actually more like a 60 hp increase, as evidence of the comparisons between p31 and tuned ecu dynos and drag races.

mercedes just claims 481 hp for marketing purposes. need to have some class separation between the c class and the e class.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM

2011 135i DCT
i wish you could order p31 minus the suede steering wheel
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM

sl550
I've always been modding my cars and each time I do I run into warranty issues so I might just stick to stock this time around.

No one really answered the question about the performance. Is it worth 6k and is it much faster than the standard c63 without the performance package?

If its not I might just spend the money on the other options
Old 03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bigsl550fan
I've always been modding my cars and each time I do I run into warranty issues so I might just stick to stock this time around.

No one really answered the question about the performance. Is it worth 6k and is it much faster than the standard c63 without the performance package?

NON-P31 traps 114-115mph, P31 will trap 119mph. So yes there is a difference. About 60hp. Its under rated from factory.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by spence46
i wish you could order p31 minus the suede steering wheel
if you do order it and dont like the steering wheel... you can trade with my non p31 steering wheel I would have loved to have the p31 steering wheel...matches my dinamica interior nicely

in terms of just straight line speed.....a p31 car and a tuned non p31 is about the same (there is a video on youtube) so 6 grand for p31, a grand for a tune.

now the 6 grand also includes the cf lip, suede steering wheels, 2 piece brakes, sls internals etc so thats up to you on what its worth.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
if you are going to mod the car...i recommend a non p31...you can personalize all of you goodies and worry about the warranty if that situation arises. it has happened very few times on this forum..... unfortunately it happened to me. It just depends on how friendly the service department is at your dealership. They wouldnt fix my transmission at one dealership because of an exhaust and ecu modification, so....i took the car across town and the other dealership fixed it with no questions askes.

if you dont plan on modding....the p31 is the way to go. imo. this is my second c63 (first was a non p31 and my new one is a p31) i dont plan on modifying it because of the problems i had with my first one. I may modify it one day but for now its got more power than i need for a crowded city and is a bit of a garage queen anyway. I love the red breaks too. I guess for an ecu tune, a carbon spoiler, two piece brakes, and some painted calipers you could mod that yourself for like 4-5 thousand anyway soooo yes, i think the p31 is worth it. plus the alancantar steering wheel is bad ***, even if you arent a fan

now if you are going crazy and wanting 800 hp out of it, you may want to go with the p31 because of the forged internals but there are people on these forums that have forced induction on the non p31 m156 and i have not heard of a problem yet if there have been any.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
It is all about what you think. If you want the extra oomph that goes with it, and you may, given what you have come out of, then get it. If, on the other hand, you are like some of us that prefer to be a bit more conservative as drivers (read old) then why bother as the car goes plenty fast enough for many of us.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 AM

2012 C63 w/APX
I think the P31 (or APX, as it's called up here in Canada) is well worth it. The LSD does help with traction, and any help with traction when you have 481hp (conservatively) is a welcome add. I did want the carbon fine trim and lip which comes with the APX here. Just those 2 features run close to $4k here (from factory). So for an extra $2k I got forged internals, LSD, red brake calipers (look ridiculously good with my magnetite black exterior, IMO) and an extra 31hp (again, conservatively). Will I ever drive hard enough to tell the difference between having LSD or not, probably not, but it's nice to know it's there if I decide to track it. Also, I bought the car, so having these extra feature should increase resale value in 4-5 years.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 AM

sl550
People here are stating its a 60hp increase, so really its around 510 hp? 450hp stock + 60hp for the amg performance package.

What are the must have options on this car besides the performance package?

Also what wheels does everyone have on their car? I really like the open spoke design wheels over the titanium gray but they are hard to find since most dealerships have the titanium gray.

What is the nicest color combo exterior/interior with the performance package in your opinion?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe

What is the nicest color combo exterior/interior with the performance package in your opinion?
Just look at what each person owns and that is the best combo in their opinion. For me, it is Black exterior and two tone red/black interior with CF trim . I also really like the diamond white with same interior.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
People here are stating its a 60hp increase, so really its around 510 hp? 450hp stock + 60hp for the amg performance package.

What are the must have options on this car besides the performance package?

Also what wheels does everyone have on their car? I really like the open spoke design wheels over the titanium gray but they are hard to find since most dealerships have the titanium gray.

Many folks dyno right around 430 or 440whp with p31.

Must have options are keyless go, s32 or multimedia, and lighting. Would not buy it without those, no matter the price. I really like the illuminated sills but not must have. I opted not to get parktronic as I'm not a fan of unnecessary beeping and noises but it would be helpful when parking with curb stones, others with parktronic can confirm if it senses that low. All the other stuff....lane tracking, blind spot, etc is useless to me.

In my eyes, the new twin spoke wheels are way hotter than the old 5 spoke. Maybe because I'm used to the old design from my 09. Whatever the case, when I first saw the wheels in person I knew I made the right call, they are awesome. So good looking that I don't think I am going to score 19's and will likely just stick with them.

I got arctic white (didn't opt for diamond, way too many escalades and prius' and cts' in diamond, also to me it just looks off white) with two tone red and black interior. Looks ridiculous with the cf spoiler, black front air dam, red calipers, and gunmetal wheels. My fave for sure. Not that it's justification, but I get compliments every day from random people...when i went to the dealer to pick it up there were people taking pics/vids. It is definitely a head turner.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
IF the option is between xenons and P31 i say go for the Xenons and other stuff. Those are necessary imo, as the P31 is not. There are several aftermarket tunes that give you the same result. And i have the P31, but it was last on my options list.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
It depends what you're looking to do with your c63.
Although if you get development package without bi xenons, that would be extremely wacky.
Just order your car with a beautiful spec, and get a chip or something and tune your car the way you want!