C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

LSD not beneficial/dagnerous on the street? In Adverse conditions?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
LSD not beneficial/dagnerous on the street? In Adverse conditions?

Can someone please explain to me how an LSD can be 'dangerous' in bad weather conditions and in normal day to day driving? I was having a discussion with a fellow auto enthusiast and he told me an LSD actually would hinder the ability of a car to stop in bad good and bad conditions.This is why BMW's normal series cars don't come with an LSD. It also doesn't have a benefit in day to day driving. With 444 HP at the wheels, I was thinking it would at least help get the power down, am I wrong?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
People don't know how to handle oversteer anymore. LSD in poor traction situations will oversteer much easier than open diff.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
The LSD has little to do with stopping... that's what brakes are for. It may provide little benefit in passive daily driving but, IMO, would be valuable in spirited driving for sure. The only downside of the LSD is getting more of the cars power to the road. So, without one, I guess it might be "safer" as it would be more like having a car with less usable power I think the comment on interfering with stopping is out to lunch

Last edited by gthal; 03-25-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Anything but dangerous in bad weather. My car has the factory LSD and it is great in the snow and in wet conditions. It definitely improves traction so I don't know why one would say it is dangerous. Your 'Auto Enthusiast' friend doesn't know what he's talking about. He might be confused with traction settings -but thats me being nice.