C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ECU Tuning question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
ECU Tuning question...

So, I'm slowly starting to give in to the temptation of getting an ECU tune. MY biggest concern is my warranty. I'm absolutely paranoid of having some major engine issue and getting denied warranty because of the ECU flash.

So my question is this. Is it possible to get a second ECU, flash and tune that, and then install your original for trips to the dealer for service? Has anyone done that or is it even possible?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by dubaudi
So, I'm slowly starting to give in to the temptation of getting an ECU tune. MY biggest concern is my warranty. I'm absolutely paranoid of having some major engine issue and getting denied warranty because of the ECU flash.

So my question is this. Is it possible to get a second ECU, flash and tune that, and then install your original for trips to the dealer for service? Has anyone done that or is it even possible?
Not possible Ecu is vin coded
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by dodger63
Darn...I was hoping there would be a way.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Actually it's totally doable. There's a forum member that's done it, but I don't remember who. They're not cheap, though.

Josh
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by C63 Guy
Actually it's totally doable. There's a forum member that's done it, but I don't remember who. They're not cheap, though.

Josh

"Xtyper" and I think If i am not mistaken "Mthis"
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM

none
Originally Posted by jacob502
Yep, that's right. Thanks.

Josh
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by dubaudi

I believe its possible. There are ways....

Its fine for bringing the car in for service and not have the dealer see it and flash over it. Thats about it.

The bad side is that if you have engine failure and swap the other ECU in before bringing to the dealer the failure wont show up on the codes and they will know you messed around. They will deny your claim and possibly void your warranty.

If you tune your car you are voiding your warranty. Plain and simple. Will some dealers turn the other way? Sure, for minor engine probs and cheap repairs that dont get the attention of the MB rep. Anything big like a tranny failure and the MB rep will be all over the car and they will deny your claim if you are tuned. MB knows people tune the C63 and look for it if you bring the car in with engine, tranny probs.

Dont let that scare you. A tune will VERY rarely break your car if you get one from a good tuner.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
If you want to buy an ECU, check GenuineMercedesParts.com
http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/...RAIN%20CONTROL

They show $1248 on their website.

I have bought some other parts from them and they are cool Georgia guys offering real good prices.

Last edited by lunarx; 06-14-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
On my Evo, using COBB tune. They have a device so you can switch from stock to mod and reverse. So there is no option for that with the mercs?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel

Josh
Yes duel Ecu is totally possible, but cheating mb info fixing a blown motor or trans when they no you have 2 ecu's probably will not work
Old 03-29-2012, 07:20 PM

none
Yes duel Ecu is totally possible, but cheating mb info fixing a blown motor or trans when they no you have 2 ecu's probably will not work
Good point. I thought you meant swapping between 2 ECUs wasn't possible, which was strange coming from you...

Josh
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jacob502
Yep, it's totally doable. Just make sure your tuner knows how to do it, as I've had some good and bad experiences in the past attempting this. I can already tell you it's no problem for Kleemann, OE Tuning, and ACG San Diego.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM

2009 CLS63 AMG
from my understanding, if the tuner is smart enough they won't increase your top speed or redline. the car has a computer that monitors "top scores". if you go over max rpm or max speed the car will log it and save it in the car as ghost codes. the one and sometimes only way the dealership can tell if your ecu has been re-coded is by reading these ghost codes.

so bottom line go with a tuner who knows what they're doing!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Good point. I thought you meant swapping between 2 ECUs wasn't possible, which was strange coming from you...

Josh
Thanks sorry for confusion I have seen hagi do it 100 times, with the vin coding I don't think it matters how smart the tuner is, mb puts you vin in the cumputer 2 Ecu's pop up I wish u luck, it might be better going the levity way at that point and see what happens instead of commiting insurance fraud
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I did exactly this. I ordered my ECU through a dealer I dont get service at.. I had it programmed there to my car. I then took that ECU and had it tuned and kept my stock ECU.

Every time the car went to the dealer, I plugged in the stock ECU.

How can they prove you even used the secondary ECU? all you have to say if you have it sitting at home and never used it yet or you decided not to use it all together.

This is exactly what I did for 3 years. I have had warranty work completed on the engine, Cam adjusters were noisy and I had a lean code as well where they changed the purge valve out and eventually the intake manifold gasket.

Obviously there are risks associated with doing this. Its not a full proof system.

Last edited by Merc63; 03-29-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by Merc63
I did exactly this. I ordered my ECU through a dealer I dont get service at.. I had it programmed there to my car. I then took that ECU and had it tuned and kept my stock ECU.

Every time the car went to the dealer, I plugged in the stock ECU.

How can they prove you even used the secondary ECU? all you have to say if you have it sitting at home and never used it yet or you decided not to use it all together.

This is exactly what I did for 3 years. I have had warranty work completed on the engine, Cam adjusters were noisy and I had a lean code as well where they changed the purge valve out and eventually the intake manifold gasket.

Obviously there are risks associated with doing this. Its not a full proof system.
I'm not an authority on this but there has been discussions anlbout the Ecu loging if its been unplugged or not and there I think is a milage counter in it also?? Im sure your claims weren't big enough ti warrent an inveatigation. Just saying care full they are smarter then that
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I'm not an authority on this but there has been discussions anlbout the Ecu loging if its been unplugged or not and there I think is a milage counter in it also?? Im sure your claims weren't big enough ti warrent an inveatigation. Just saying care full they are smarter then that
I can ask my tech friend if there is anything in his software at the service department that can monitor that... Ill report back what he says...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
I can ask my tech friend if there is anything in his software at the service department that can monitor that... Ill report back what he says...
Like I said I have no first hand knowledge about these things I've heard.. and am assuming the rest

Last edited by dodger63; 03-30-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 AM

2014 E63-S, 1987 190E 2.3-16, 1985 325E
i've heard great feedback from OE's tune and Eurocharged's (the one i currently have) i do not know how OE is with reflashing and such, but someone here may give us some more info how they are with their reflashing, as for eurocharged, they allow for free reflashes for any upgrade you get, or for any time you need to detune back to stock, assuming before a service for someone who is paranoid, i've gone to merc. about 3 times now with a tune, and my exhaust setup, haven't had anything told to me, give i have not had any problems, just a tune i am pretty positive you won't have any problems and if i'm not mistaken most of them are highly undetectable.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Its is possible.

Buy a second ECU and get someone to do a complete BDM backup
and clone the new ECU.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Tech says that he's seen nothing that would suggest two ecus being used when working on my car... But he said that doesn't mean it's not there, he said just with his software he couldn't find anything.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by skokkosis
i've heard great feedback from OE's tune and Eurocharged's (the one i currently have) i do not know how OE is with reflashing and such, but someone here may give us some more info how they are with their reflashing, as for eurocharged, they allow for free reflashes for any upgrade you get, or for any time you need to detune back to stock, assuming before a service for someone who is paranoid, i've gone to merc. about 3 times now with a tune, and my exhaust setup, haven't had anything told to me, give i have not had any problems, just a tune i am pretty positive you won't have any problems and if i'm not mistaken most of them are highly undetectable.

I agree, I know the tuners are great at what they do and I highly doubt that a good tune would actually cause any engine problems, but there's always the chance that something could still go wrong...that's what I worry about.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Tech says that he's seen nothing that would suggest two ecus being used when working on my car... But he said that doesn't mean it's not there, he said just with his software he couldn't find anything.
No reason to look. Blow the motor or tranny and MB gets a big fat bill. They will send a rep to investigate the car before they authorize the fix on their dime and the rep knows exactly what to look for. Swapped ECU's, tunes ect.. Anything odd that stands out.

If you blow the motor its going to blow at some serious high RPM. You swap out the ECU and bring it to the dealer. The ECU will have no current record or code of the failure. Claim denied.

Like I said, If you dont want your warranty voided for an oil change and to not have your tune reflashed the second ECU is great. Also give for running multple tunes and switching between them. IE, Race file and pump gas file.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by izzyAMG
On my Evo, using COBB tune. They have a device so you can switch from stock to mod and reverse. So there is no option for that with the mercs?
There is a device which plugs into your OBDII port so you can switch between tunes.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 AM

'03 E500
Originally Posted by _AMG_
There is a device which plugs into your OBDII port so you can switch between tunes.
yeah? what, where and how much?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tuning question...