C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

The C63 will be hanging around for another couple of weeks....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
The C63 will be hanging around for another couple of weeks....

For those with morbid curiosity, my C63 will not be heading off to its new home in a pole barn so fast after all.

And I still haven't driven the car. I would be amazed if the car had more than a couple of hundred miles on it since I bought it a year ago but a couple of days ago it decided to grenade itself.

Oops!

The motor is getting torn apart but 1 piston grenaded itself (as in literally broke into pieces) and two more cylinders lost rings. Initial inspection shows no cylinder wall damage so it should be fairly quick to put it back together. Understanding why it happened might take longer.

Anyway, I'm going to have ACG put the motor back together and dial the boost back, drive it myself for a few weeks to see how it holds together, then off it goes.

Mining for engine pieces in your oil pan:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsppors...in/photostream

Jim

Last edited by jspAMG; 03-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by jspAMG
For those with morbid curiosity, my C63 will not be heading off to its new home in a pole barn so fast after all.

And I still haven't driven the car. I would be amazed if the car had more than a couple of hundred miles on it since I bought it a year ago but a couple of days ago it decided to grenade itself.

Oops!

The motor is getting torn apart but 1 piston grenaded itself (as in literally broke into pieces) and two more cylinders lost rings. Initial inspection shows no cylinder wall damage so it should be fairly quick to put it back together. Understanding why it happened might take longer.

Anyway, I'm going to have ACG put the motor back together and dial the boost back, drive it myself for a few weeks to see how it holds together, then off it goes.

Mining for engine pieces in your oil pan:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsppors...in/photostream

Jim

Ouch, sorry to hear this. What were your mods again? I know this was your project car but what were the mods at the time of boom?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 PM

I don't want to list all the mods. One, I couldn't keep count and besides the ones that might have an effect on this type of thing may not even be to blame. I haven't looked at the plugs. I have no idea what gas is in the car. I don't know if the oil squirters that should be under each piston were functioning. Etc, etc.

Its too early to talk about why.

I even have to go find the original purchase paperwork and see how many miles were on it and compare it to now.

For all I know, someone had the car out doing redline doughnuts for an hour. I'm being facetious about that but really, I haven't even sat in the car in about a year.

Jim
Old 03-31-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
sounds like a money pit
Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Is this the first Weistec-supercharged M156 to "grenade" its motor? Must be, right? I don't recall hearing of any others.

Is a thorough effort going to be put into finding out the "why," at least within some reasonable degree of certainty?

Sorry to hear of the misfortune - hope it's sorted out soon.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM

Its too early to say anything about why it happened. I took a quick look at the heads today but the bottom end has to come out and the cylinders and all the pistons and rods have to be inspected.

There's any number of things it could have been and its way too early to blame anything. Including supercharging.

This type of thing comes with the territory. Once you start modding a car you better make up your mind that the money and the car are a loss. Because some modding and racing just eat drivetrains. That's the way it is.

My stated goal with the car was to see just how far one could be taken. It seems that point was discovered

Now its rebuild time and I'll back the boost down just to be on the safe side and the car will move on to the next stage.

Jim
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its too early to say anything about why it happened....There's any number of things it could have been and its way too early to blame anything.
Agree 100%. Just wondered if you're interested in exploring the "why," or instead just plan on rebuilding and go from there. If the former, I hope you'll share the findings with the community.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 PM

I'm certainly interested in what happened. All the pistons and rods have to come out and the rods checked. All the pistons and rings will be replaced and the crank has to be checked and the whole assembly balanced before it goes back in.

I did a gross examination of the heads and piston tops tonight. It doesn't appear the valves and the pistons came in contact. But the valves will all come out to get checked.

Monday I'll have another look and if we have to shop the motor around for opinions, that's what we'll do.

Jim
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm certainly interested in what happened. All the pistons and rods have to come out and the rods checked. All the pistons and rings will be replaced and the crank has to be checked and the whole assembly balanced before it goes back in.

I did a gross examination of the heads and piston tops tonight. It doesn't appear the valves and the pistons came in contact. But the valves will all come out to get checked.

Monday I'll have another look and if we have to shop the motor around for opinions, that's what we'll do.

Jim
Cool, well I for one look forward to seeing what you find out.

I wonder why this thread isn't getting more attention? The title perhaps? If it was called "motor grenaded - diagnosis to follow" maybe it would get a better response?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I wonder why this thread isn't getting more attention? The title perhaps? If it was called "motor grenaded - diagnosis to follow" maybe it would get a better response?
Well that title might be fun and sensational but I'm not interested in drawing that much attention to it.

I'm not looking to blame anybody for it or support a witch hunt to do that. As I've said and strongly believe, once you start modifying a car in any meaningful way (new heads and a high boost supercharger on a high compression motor, for instance) you should be prepared to walk away with the car a total loss. That's one reason that people are confounded that I put all this money into the car and don't really care that much about it in any way. I really just don't care. Its not like its a Porsche or anything like that. Its a German Camaro.

I'm just updating people on the status since I stated I was getting rid of the car right about now and they might be wondering what its still doing here.

Depending on what I find wrong with the motor, other people might be interested. And that's fine. It will give various fanboys and anti-fan boys something to do with themselves.

In the end, there may be no definitive reason why it went. Maybe Mercedes just had a crappy piston or ring set. We won't know more until the bottom end comes off the motor and we see what's what.

Jim
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Well that title might be fun and sensational but I'm not interested in drawing that much attention to it.

I'm not looking to blame anybody for it or support a witch hunt to do that. As I've said and strongly believe, once you start modifying a car in any meaningful way (new heads and a high boost supercharger on a high compression motor, for instance) you should be prepared to walk away with the car a total loss. That's one reason that people are confounded that I put all this money into the car and don't really care that much about it in any way. I really just don't care. Its not like its a Porsche or anything like that. Its a German Camaro.

I'm just updating people on the status since I stated I was getting rid of the car right about now and they might be wondering what its still doing here.

Depending on what I find wrong with the motor, other people might be interested. And that's fine. It will give various fanboys and anti-fan boys something to do with themselves.

In the end, there may be no definitive reason why it went. Maybe Mercedes just had a crappy piston or ring set. We won't know more until the bottom end comes off the motor and we see what's what.

Jim
That's complete Bull5hit. I dont buy it for a second.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
The car didn't even have break-in miles before a high-boost supercharger went on, and it grenaded? Wow, never would have expected that...

Edit: Had no idea it was CPO.

Josh

Last edited by C63 Guy; 04-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by _AMG_
That's complete Bull5hit. I dont buy it for a second.
Sure is. The passive aggressive nature of the thread is as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM

none
I really just don't care. Its not like its a Porsche or anything like that. Its a German Camaro...
Wow. Respect ------> toilet.

Last edited by C63 Guy; 04-01-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM

You guys are a hoot. Seriously, don't give up your day jobs for psychology.

1. The car had 16,000+ miles on it before the SC went on. It's a 2009 CPO car.
2. I have no clue why it broke. Since the SC went on its almost been undriven. Maybe a couple of hundred miles tops. It's as likely to latent failure as anything else.
3. Passive/Aggressive? I'm an aggressive personality that doesn't care about the car.

Ask ACG for my reaction to the news. They are aware of how aggressive I am capable of being. I think my reaction so far has been curious room temperature.

Weistec has not received a call of any kind from me. Nor will they. I have cell phone numbers, I would call if I wanted too.

You guys have never figured me out. I doubt you will.

Jim
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by C63 Guy
Wow. Respect ------> toilet.
This guy claims its a German Camaro yet treats it like its a 1964 Ferrari 250GTO by storing it in a bubble.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 PM

Care ====> Not
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM

C63
Luckily this didn't happen forty years down the line when the car came out of the barn. People would be very confused.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM

None of you know why I'm storing it. And I'm not interested in explaining it to you. It's not because it's a special car. Not at all.

If you want to know why the car failed, fine. If not, don't you have something you need to be doing?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
You guys are a hoot. Seriously, don't give up your day jobs for psychology.

1. The car had 16,000+ miles on it before the SC went on. It's a 2009 CPO car.
2. I have no clue why it broke. Since the SC went on its almost been undriven. Maybe a couple of hundred miles tops. It's as likely to latent failure as anything else.
3. Passive/Aggressive? I'm an aggressive personality that doesn't care about the car.

Ask ACG for my reaction to the news. They are aware of how aggressive I am capable of being. I think my reaction so far has been curious room temperature.

Weistec has not received a call of any kind from me. Nor will they. I have cell phone numbers, I would call if I wanted too.

Jim
1.) You bought the car with 16k miles which YOU did not put on.
You only put on a few 100 miles, which means you never drive the car.

2.) We have seen guys running this kit (and running it hard) with no problems, (people that actually drive the car and not store it in a bubble) and all of a sudden your engine grenades?

3.) If you dont care about the car then why did you spend all this time and money modding it? Whats the point?

Ya, we haven't figured you out because your a odd character.

Last edited by _AMG_; 04-01-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
None of you know why I'm storing it. And I'm not interested in explaining it to you. It's not because it's a special car. Not at all.

If you want to know why the car failed, fine. If not, don't you have something you need to be doing?
Yes, please explain to us.
Im sure all of us would like to know why your car failed.
Stop beating around the bush and say it.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig

Jim
I have you figured out Jim. Its nothing I haven't seen before. You use the forum as leverage to get what you want. It couldn't be possibly more transparent.

As for ACG and Weistec this thread is just the first step in what will develop into a huge drama thread if they don't do the right thing by you JUST like the last drama thread you created when your car was going to the crusher.

But hey... I'm no psychologist.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Subscribed, unsubscribed, subrscribed, unsubcribed....

waiting for the next post, but I'm in a pattern here and on a roll

(OP with hammer and me with twitch)
Old 04-01-2012, 05:05 PM

none
Why should we have to figure you out? I thought your mods were incredible, and I'm sorry your motor popped but, seriously, WTF? Can't you just be a contributing member of the forum without a hidden agenda that we have to figure out?

Unsubscribed.

Uninterested.

Not another fock shall be given.

Josh

Last edited by C63 Guy; 04-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM

You guys are hilarious. Really. As I said, don't give up your day jobs. Your posts don't even make factual sense with what I've already said.

Did I claim the problem was supercharger related? Nope, I doubt it is. I don't drive the car. ACG doesn't drive the car. Its filled with high octane gas. I think the car broke because something was wrong with it when I bought it.

There are no issues with Weistec at all. And if having a high boost supercharger on it WAS the problem, it would be MY PROBLEM. I bought it and told them to go to Stage II+.

There is no drama pending for ACG or Weistec. I told ACG already that I'm paying for it. I also expect to pay Weistec for a new tune and probable pulley set to lower the compression.

I've had one and only one tantrum about this car. The car had to make it to SEMA and as an experienced person, I saw it wasn't making it and I lit a fire under them. It made it. Other than that, I don't care.

If you junior mind readers want something to analyse, ask yourselves, why would someone want to hit a date at SEMA? You don't know because I don't talk about it much. Nor do I care if you know or not. Why would someone care about a car enough to preserve it when they don't care about the car? Same answer. I have my reasons which are perfectly reasonable.

A year ago I admitted I'm odd. So far, I'm doing fine with that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The C63 will be hanging around for another couple of weeks....