C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

A few more questions about my C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
A few more questions about my C63

Ah, I've had it for two months and I am still drunk with this car. The power that is there for you, ready for whenever you need it, gosh o gosh it's just outstanding!

I have a few questions for you peeps and would appreciate your help:

1. In Canada, we have two types of petrol, the super and the regular. I've been adding the super for the car but I was just wondering, would it be OK to use regular? Or would that harm the engine? Not being cheap, but I fill up my car every 3 to 4 days (I do a good amount of driving) so wondering if it's OK to go that route.

2. Is it OK to wash the engine? When I was at Silver Star the other day, the tech said that it's NOT ok, while the guy that actually washes car said he does it all the time. So I wasn't sure whom to believe in that case. I would like to clean my engine every once in a while... Besides, I wouldn't want Mr. Michael's (the engineer) name not appear clearly! :P

3. Is it normal that the steering wheel isn't the smoothest in the world? I am comparing it to my father's STS. His steering wheel is super super smooth but the C63's a little harder to manoeuvre, so I was wondering if that's normal.

This is not a regular car. The immense power of this car are astonishing and given what it has to offer compared with the $$ spent and the fact that it's a 4 door car, I could not find a better deal.

Thank you all and as always, safe driving!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by someuser
Ah, I've had it for two months and I am still drunk with this car. The power that is there for you, ready for whenever you need it, gosh o gosh it's just outstanding!

I have a few questions for you peeps and would appreciate your help:

1. In Canada, we have two types of petrol, the super and the regular. I've been adding the super for the car but I was just wondering, would it be OK to use regular? Or would that harm the engine? Not being cheap, but I fill up my car every 3 to 4 days (I do a good amount of driving) so wondering if it's OK to go that route.

2. Is it OK to wash the engine? When I was at Silver Star the other day, the tech said that it's NOT ok, while the guy that actually washes car said he does it all the time. So I wasn't sure whom to believe in that case. I would like to clean my engine every once in a while... Besides, I wouldn't want Mr. Michael's (the engineer) name not appear clearly! :P

3. Is it normal that the steering wheel isn't the smoothest in the world? I am comparing it to my father's STS. His steering wheel is super super smooth but the C63's a little harder to manoeuvre, so I was wondering if that's normal.

This is not a regular car. The immense power of this car are astonishing and given what it has to offer compared with the $$ spent and the fact that it's a 4 door car, I could not find a better deal.

Thank you all and as always, safe driving!
1) I understand gas is expensive and this car consumes gas like it's free, but you should never deviate from the recommended "Super" gas. Timing will retard itself, but there is only so much the ECU can do to compensate for the poor grade of gas.

2) It is NEVER ok to powerwash your engine. I don't care what that guy at the car wash tells you, he DON'T OWN those cars! Do it only if you love electrical problems.

3) Yes, the steering is NOT supposed to be "Smooth". The STS that your dad has is overly boosted.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
As for the gas, you should be using Petro-Canada's 94oct only or at least Shell's 91oct which is the better of the 91's
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM

C63
Originally Posted by crazy1eye
As for the gas, you should be using Petro-Canada's 94oct only or at least Shell's 91oct which is the better of the 91's
I usually fill at Costco... Good? Bad?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
I have filled my cars at costco for years.. just go for 93 octane or higher
Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Unfortunately Costco Canada doesn't have 93, 91 is the highest available octane at all gas stations in Canada except Petro-Canada & Sunoco which have 94 which sells for .14 - .15 cents more than regular compared to 91 which is .07 - .09 cents more & regular is selling for $1.46/l at the moment in Montreal, that's $5.52 a US gallon.

For maximum performance, use the 94.

If you want to play, you gotta pay!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Why go cheap on your car?
Apart from it being the recommended fuel the additional running costs are part of the expense of owning a performance vehicle.

Higher octane fuels are more efficient than the lower grade product therefore you use less of it.

The better mileage alone offsets the additional cost for the premium and is a good enough reason to use it over the cheaper lower octane stuff.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Just wanted to add that Costco Gas is not that great regardless. Cheap yes, but every gasoline--branded or not--has a blend package. Costco will not help with carbon deposits over time and really skimps on the blend.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, look for Texaco or Chevron. They contain Techron (An additive) which I swear makes a difference down the road. Shell or Sunoco are pretty good as well. No regular please. 91 as a minimum, but 93 octane preferred.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM

C63
Last time I was at Costco filling actually, I saw a guy add a small quantity of a red looking liquid before filling up. He somehow squeezed it to the top to fill a certain amount and poured it in.

Anyone knows what that is, or what it does?!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
We use 98 over here which is readily available. Having said that I do not know if our country measures octane exactly the same as US of A.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Harold1898
We use 98 over here which is readily available. Having said that I do not know if our country measures octane exactly the same as US of A.
Auz uses the RON (Research Octane Number) and seems to be about 5 points higher than in USA/Canada and the same as Europe.

In USA/Canada the Octane Number is a mix of RON and MON (Motor Octane Number): (RON+MON)/2.

RON 98 ~ (RON+MON)/2 93

In Canada as in some states the max octane available is 91 so we have to get by with the minimum acceptable fuel and likely lose a little performance because of it.

Last edited by Mort; 04-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 PM

C63
Guys, how do we know if we have the latest nav system in the car and how much does it usually cost to update that?

Can it be done manually?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Yes, you need to use the secret engineering menu, then there is a section for hardware and firmware version numbers.

Sheep
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Originally Posted by someuser
Last time I was at Costco filling actually, I saw a guy add a small quantity of a red looking liquid before filling up. He somehow squeezed it to the top to fill a certain amount and poured it in.

Anyone knows what that is, or what it does?!
Its more then likely injector cleaner.