C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 CPO, help and comments requested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Countryman S
C63 CPO, help and comments requested

First post. Now that that formality is out of the way...

I'm in the market for a CPO'd high performance 4 door sedan with an auto/DCT transmission. I found a C63 locally that is a 2009, arctic white, black interior with 35k miles with list price $49,995. Extended warranty till Jan 2014. They gave me a copy of the work its had done since it came in:
  • CPO inspection
  • Emission check/state inspection
  • Detail
  • New rear right tail light bulbs. bulb holders and ground circuit
  • Service B
    • Filter
    • Wiper fluid
    • Fuel additive
    • Wiper blades
    • Mobil 1 oil
  • Brake fluid flush
  • New front brake pads
  • New front and rear tires (Continental)
  • 4 wheel alignment
  • New cupholder trim
What do you guys think? We used to have a 2007 SLK55 with the performance pkg that we bought a non-CPO from a non-Mercedes dealer. We loved the car but a year or so ago after the warranty ran out with about 50k miles on it we took it to a non-dealer European repair shop that is respected and I've used in the past on a MINI and they wanted almost $6k to replace all the brakes, do some front end suspension and motor mount work, do an alignment, do transmission work, etc to bring the car back 'up to spec' in their words.

Realistically speaking, what sort of repair costs do you think I can expect based on your experience? This is the first car I plan on holding on to for at least 4 years or more which obviously takes it past the warranty period. What would you guys offer to bring it down from list price?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to your help!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM

MINI Countryman S
Forgot to mention more specs on the car:
  • Premium 2 Package
  • Navigation (Multimedia Pacakge)
  • AMG Performance Package
  • AMG Leather Package
Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM

2009 C63 P30
This car, with the specs that you have described, should be priced around $43K-$46k, CPO. Several members have posted recently about cars that they have purchased, that are nearly identical in both mileage and options. They have been getting the car for around $43,000, CPO.

I would either keep looking, or see how well they will negotiate. You may want to do a nationwide search and take a look at current asking prices (on AutoTrader or EBay or similar) & prices of recently sold vehicles (EBay Completed Listings). It seems that $49k is on the very high end of the pricing scale, given the model year, mileage, etc...

I have been researching prices on this car for about 4 months, so my information is only accurate for that amount of time.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
My dealer is selling my '09 blk/blk loaded (minus CF trim) for $49.9, CPO'd. P30 as well.

So asking price isnt far off. Maybe a bit on the high side, but $43k for this car CPO'd from a dealer I think is the exception and not normal. Maybe $47k/$48k...CPO adds a couple grand+ over a private party...and this car private party is more in the low $40k's.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 AM

2009 C63 P30
Originally Posted by rory breaker
My dealer is selling my '09 blk/blk loaded (minus CF trim) for $49.9, CPO'd. P30 as well.

So asking price isnt far off. Maybe a bit on the high side, but $43k for this car CPO'd from a dealer I think is the exception and not normal. Maybe $47k/$48k...CPO adds a couple grand+ over a private party...and this car private party is more in the low $40k's.

I'm looking at a CPO (Non-P30), for $43.9K 20 miles from me, at an MB Dealership, as we speak. Take a look at similar threads (likely on page 1) and you will see several people who have gotten their CPO P30 C63's for $43k-$44k. Keep in mind asking price and final negotiated price are different....

For Reference:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-c63-get.html

Last edited by Brunt182; 04-11-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
You need to compare stickers if you want to get accurate, as well as looking at end of warranty periods and overall condition. A P30 car can be $75k or $65k. My sticker was $72k as I recall and the warranty would be done late 2014, and the car is mint.

Im not saying they arent out there, Im saying you need to realize that a web forum of enthusiasts is a small percentage of the overall market. You need to find a dealer who is willing to sell you the car at a lower number than letting it sit for a few more weeks and getting their asking price. Just reality. If you think you can go into any dealer with a $70k+ stickered CPO 09' in mint condition and score it for $43k...well Im not saying you cant, but I hope you are patient as it may not be the first, second, or third one you find.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM

2009 C63 P30
You need to compare stickers if you want to get accurate, as well as looking at end of warranty periods and overall condition. A P30 car can be $75k or $65k. My sticker was $72k as I recall and the warranty would be done late 2014, and the car is mint.

Im not saying they arent out there, Im saying you need to realize that a web forum of enthusiasts is a small percentage of the overall market. You need to find a dealer who is willing to sell you the car at a lower number than letting it sit for a few more weeks and getting their asking price. Just reality. If you think you can go into any dealer with a $70k+ stickered CPO 09' in mint condition and score it for $43k...well Im not saying you cant, but I hope you are patient as it may not be the first, second, or third one you find.

Most of this is accurate; However, you'd be surprised at how many are out there. I have been intesnly looking at prices for 4 months, and I have seen several, spec'd similarly, with asking prices around $45k-$46k.. Dealers are only paying $36k-$40K (depending on options) for these cars, so there is quite a margin for negotiation. It would not be at all uncommon to find this vehicle in the range I mentioned.

Keep in mind that while I say it isn't uncommon, I am not saying you will find one immediately in that range. It will take some time and research, like any good deal. They are out there, and as long as you don't want to be in the car right now, you'll find it.

Last edited by Brunt182; 04-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Buddy the link you just posted contains:

NON CPO car with 6 months of warranty left and burnt tires for $44k negotiated down.

CPO 2008 with NO P30 for $45k.

This guy is talking about a CPO 2009 WITH P30....and the advice is that $47/$48k would be the NORM. Not saying he cant get it for less if he waits and finds the right situation, but the proof is right here. 2 cars, exactly spec'd as described, asking price is $49.9k. And the dealer will get it eventually, so the question is, do they want to sell it NOW for $47k? Depends on your relationship.

I have bought 2 C63's and traded in 1. This isnt just from research it's from experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM

2009 C63 P30
Buddy the link you just posted contains:

NON CPO car with 6 months of warranty left and burnt tires for $44k negotiated down.

CPO 2008 with NO P30 for $45k.

This guy is talking about a CPO 2009 WITH P30....and the advice is that $47/$48k would be the NORM. Not saying he cant get it for less if he waits and finds the right situation, but the proof is right here. 2 cars, exactly spec'd as described, asking price is $49.9k. And the dealer will get it eventually, so the question is, do they want to sell it NOW for $47k? Depends on your relationship.

I have bought 2 C63's and traded in 1. This isnt just from research it's from experience.

Read the entire thread ... People are chiming in with there experiences as well.

EXAMPLE:
Originally Posted by dubaudi
The point is that there ARE cars out there exactly like what you want that ARE CPO....so why compromise? My '09 is nearly identical to your Option 1, and I paid $43k CPO with nearly identical miles....

So why get one that's not CPO when you can get one that IS?

IMO, you can't beat the peace of mind that comes with knowing the car's CPO.

I feel like you are arguing that same point as me. The asking price is on the high end, with the normal asking price being closer to $47k. What I am saying, however, is that the deals for C63's, with the same options, can be found. Addtionally, I have seen P30 CPO C63's listed at less than $46K. List price does not equal negotiated price.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
OK man.

OP - good luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM

MINI Countryman S
Wow. Thanks for the info guys. Didn't think it would get so lively. FWIW I did a nationwide AutoTrader search for CPO 2009 C63's and they ranged from $45,700 with 45k miles to $58.9k with 8k miles. The closest spec car on the list was also listed for 49.9. There were others without the P30 pkg that had less miles listed for a couple grand less as far as I could tell.

Any comments on what sort of running costs I can expect? If it helps this will be our family of 2 + 2 dogs (ha!) secondary car getting maybe 8k miles a year, mostly city with some driving trips within the state. Any idea on depreciation from this point on?

Thanks again!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I bought my 09 CPO with 14k miles on it 2 years ago, for $49k... Same options except no performance package. I think the price in the first post is way too high.

I'm also a 2 + 2 (great dane and a dalmatian).. soon to be 3 + 2 come may (I'm screwed...)

The car is my daily driver, I have also used it to transport the monsters to the kennel when needed, drop the rear seats, throw down a thick canvas tarp over the exposed leather spots, and they both fit nicely (the great dane lies with his butt in the trunk, mid sections of the back of the rear seats.. and his head on the center console which acts like a pillow for him

Running costs are high on tires, my brakes lasted around 60k miles, but I engine brake alot, they are in need of replacement now. It is actually a pretty easy DIY job, so you can save a few grand on labor. The parts will however set you back around $1k for front and rear pads and rotors.

Oil changes are easy to do as well, costs me around $100 every 5k miles (I drive it like I stole it.. but you could just as easily go 10k miles between changes).
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM

MINI Countryman S
Congrats on the new addition. We're probably still about 2 years out from a +1 human addition to the family. Our Siberian husky and puggle are enough to handle for now.

What was the list price on yours when you bought it if you don't mind?

The SLK55 was my wife's daily driver and it went through a set of tires in about 12k miles. There was some transmission work, regular service and an engine gasket that we replaced along the way post warranty that weren't super cheap -- all done at the dealership FWIW. When it came time for the brakes was the real kicker and based on where we were at that time (my wife was starting her own business that required some capital investment) we decided to sell both our cars (I had a 135i) and get a more sensible and cheaper 4-door Countryman S to share for a while. The intent of the Countryman S is as the future + kid car that we'll also hold on to for a long time.

I'm thinking about offering 45k as a starting point and working from there. This would be the first car where I don't have a trade-in but I have flexibility in terms of how much I can put down so do you guys think that is something that would help or hurt my negotiating power? Any other things I could offer that you could think of?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Evo VIII
i'm kind of in the same boat as OP. after doing a nationwide search for CPO C63's, the lowest price i can find on a CPO is $46,800 for a 2009 w/43k miles. and that is without P30!

what other resources (apart from autotrader and MB's www.mypreownedmercedes.com) do you guys suggest?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
If you like warranties on MBZ (which given the cost to repair even at an indy shop is a few bucks) get a CPO car because you can then also buy the MBZ factory extended warranty (which does not cover everything like Navi/Stereo and such) but does cover the big ticket items. My case in point was my C55 that had the driveshaft fail causing damage to the tranny and rear end all of which had to be removed to get repaired. You can only guess the amount of labor cost involved. While I was out of CPO warranty I did have the extended factory warranty which covered all the costs.
In regards to the P30 option it is nice to have but doesn't seem to add much in resale as it did not add any power as the P31 package did. I'd look for a 2010 with the P31 option.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

2009 C63 P30
Originally Posted by k4ffy
i'm kind of in the same boat as OP. after doing a nationwide search for CPO C63's, the lowest price i can find on a CPO is $46,800 for a 2009 w/43k miles. and that is without P30!

what other resources (apart from autotrader and MB's www.mypreownedmercedes.com) do you guys suggest?

I just missed out on a CPO 2009 C63 with 32,XXX miles for $41,991.. Had 4 brand new tires too!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Evo VIII
Originally Posted by Brunt182
I just missed out on a CPO 2009 C63 with 32,XXX miles for $41,991.. Had 4 brand new tires too!
Is there cause to be suspicious if it's that low?
How did you find it?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Evo VIII
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
If you like warranties on MBZ (which given the cost to repair even at an indy shop is a few bucks) get a CPO car because you can then also buy the MBZ factory extended warranty (which does not cover everything like Navi/Stereo and such) but does cover the big ticket items. My case in point was my C55 that had the driveshaft fail causing damage to the tranny and rear end all of which had to be removed to get repaired. You can only guess the amount of labor cost involved. While I was out of CPO warranty I did have the extended factory warranty which covered all the costs.
In regards to the P30 option it is nice to have but doesn't seem to add much in resale as it did not add any power as the P31 package did. I'd look for a 2010 with the P31 option.
i'm okay not having additional power, i was just hoping to get the LSD from the p30. also, i think 2010's are going to be hard to find since the 2009's are coming off lease right now. is that a fair assessment?

do you think $46,800 for a CPO 2009 w/o P30 and 47k miles is too high?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM

2009 C63 P30
Is there cause to be suspicious if it's that low?
How did you find it?
No, being CPO, you can minimize the concerns a bit. I found it on AutoTrader.

I watched the car for 3 months.. It went from $47,999 to $41,991. I watched them lower the price, bit by bit. Timing wasn't right for me or I would have jumped on it around $43k.. I just need a few more weeks until I can make my purchase.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Evo VIII
No, being CPO, you can minimize the concerns a bit. I found it on AutoTrader.

I watched the car for 3 months.. It went from $47,999 to $41,991. I watched them lower the price, bit by bit. Timing wasn't right for me or I would have jumped on it around $43k.. I just need a few more weeks until I can make my purchase.

ahh good to know. was this recent? i'll have to start keeping an eye out for right right car for the right price. i guess its a trade-off of whether you want to increase your chances of securing the vehicle at a higher price, or wait till it gets lowered and risk it getting scooped up
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM

2009 C63 P30
ahh good to know. was this recent? i'll have to start keeping an eye out for right right car for the right price. i guess its a trade-off of whether you want to increase your chances of securing the vehicle at a higher price, or wait till it gets lowered and risk it getting scooped up

This car sold over the past weekend, so very recent. I have watched several C63's come down in price over the months. It seems that most stop around $43-$45k before they are unlisted (Only referencing CPO). If it is in your budget, and you are happy with the numbers, just go for it; that's my opinion. Additionally, you don't always have to stick to the price that you see, there is usually wiggle room.

I've been creating PDF files of the low priced/recently sold C63's to use as comparisons for when I am ready to negotiate my deal.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM

Evo VIII
This car sold over the past weekend, so very recent. I have watched several C63's come down in price over the months. It seems that most stop around $43-$45k before they are unlisted (Only referencing CPO). If it is in your budget, and you are happy with the numbers, just go for it; that's my opinion. Additionally, you don't always have to stick to the price that you see, there is usually wiggle room.

I've been creating PDF files of the low priced/recently sold C63's to use as comparisons for when I am ready to negotiate my deal.
that's a great idea. i'll start doing that. any chance you'd be willing to share yours? i can give you a shared location to drop them into.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM

2009 C63 P30
that's a great idea. i'll start doing that. any chance you'd be willing to share yours? i can give you a shared location to drop them into.

I don't have a ton of data right now, but I would defintely be willing to share when I get more stuff together. When I get to my home computer, I can look at anything relevant that I have. At work, file uploading is forbidden
Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Evo VIII
I don't have a ton of data right now, but I would defintely be willing to share when I get more stuff together. When I get to my home computer, I can look at anything relevant that I have. At work, file uploading is forbidden

that would be great!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Evo VIII
how many miles is too many miles for a 2009?