C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

M156 head bolt problems

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
So the dealer did not blink at the engine mods when replacing the parts?

MB should look over at BMW who allegedly have broken bolts affecting their cam timing system, and who is recalling for replacement?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63 p30 mars red
I don't have engine mods other than the tune and K&Ns. No need to mention the tune.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jim07
I just got my 2009 back with updated headbolts & valve buckets replaced under my CPO warranty that was a week from expiring! I took the car in for a CEL that turned out to be a fuel pressure sensor. When I checked in the car I told the SA that I had to add coolant a couple of months ago and I was very concerned about headbolt failure. He said he had heard of it but never seen it. I told him I want the bolts checked and I wanted him to document my concern while the car was still under warranty. That night I forwarded the SA and service manager the links to the sticky about headbolts on this site and this one http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html
To my surpise he called a couple of days later and said they were going to do the upgrade under the warranty!
There is much less engine noise in the engine compartment and is running great!
I believe with all the recall hype in the news today MB doesn't want any bad press so it may be a good time to put some pressure on you dealership to get it approved by MB. Hope this helps ---

Do you know if they did any diagnostics which swayed their decision? Coolant pressure test etc?

It just seems odd they went ahead with the swap without any tangible evidence of potential failure.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Wow, they did a preventative maintenance warranty claim?

Do you know if they did any diagnostics which swayed their decision? Coolant pressure test etc?

It just seems odd they went ahead with the swap without any tangible evidence of potential failure.
There is no pressure test on the bill. As far as I know they based it on the fact that I had added coolant with no external leaks (maybe a pint). The bill states they found a broken bolt on the left bank.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
There is no pressure test on the bill. As far as I know they based it on the fact that I had added coolant with no external leaks (maybe a pint). The bill states they found a broken bolt on the left bank.
Can you post the invoice so we can see the codes?
One may be for an action concerning the bolts
Thnx
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
I wonder if a head was broken or snapped when they were removing it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I just got my 2009 back with updated headbolts & valve buckets replaced under my CPO warranty that was a week from expiring! I took the car in for a CEL that turned out to be a fuel pressure sensor. When I checked in the car I told the SA that I had to add coolant a couple of months ago and I was very concerned about headbolt failure. He said he had heard of it but never seen it. I told him I want the bolts checked and I wanted him to document my concern while the car was still under warranty. That night I forwarded the SA and service manager the links to the sticky about headbolts on this site and this one http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html
To my surpise he called a couple of days later and said they were going to do the upgrade under the warranty!
There is much less engine noise in the engine compartment and is running great!
I believe with all the recall hype in the news today MB doesn't want any bad press so it may be a good time to put some pressure on you dealership to get it approved by MB. Hope this helps ---
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Originally Posted by Sincity
Congrats to have that burden lifted. What was your mileage?
57,000 thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
57,000 thanks
can you post a redacted invoice?
it's highly unusual that they did all that work on a customer claim that he lost a bit of coolant a couple of months ago (how much coolant? how many times?)

the work code may help others

thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM

2009 CLS63 AMG
Hi,
I've just jumped into my 2009 CLS63 AMG. To me it's new an' I'm hammering the *** off it cause it's all new to me.

I have not worried about it popping a head bolt, why, cause I cannot find any figures anywhere one the WWW about the true PPM of this failure mode. If they built 65000 of these engines and 650 popped (I can find about 20 examples on this entire forum), that would be a PPM of 10000, ie, not high enough for me to care about, thus buying a CLS63 with 28000 on the clock was not influenced. If MB did have any figures to worry about, they'd do a recall, simple maths.

As for the cam-follower wearing issue. I've never heard so much *****e in all my life. My engine rattles like a nightmare for a second or two on start up. I still paid full price for it. What engine with hydraulic lifters doesn't rattle on fire up, if for a second or two, and even if it does, what damage does that do? Bugger all.

Basically, I'm saying, I'm over the moon with my CLS63 and I'm glad that all the cr@p being written about the M156 didn't put me off my new purchase. I work for a major diesel engine manufacturer so can see through all the bollox when it comes to statistics. It all comes down to the math and the fact that they are hand built engines and top quality parts = sweetness.

Ady,,,,
Old 04-21-2014, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
My guess is a single crate of bolts are potentially affected. How many engines will it surface in is the question.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Originally Posted by AdyBee
Hi,
I've just jumped into my 2009 CLS63 AMG. To me it's new an' I'm hammering the *** off it cause it's all new to me.

I have not worried about it popping a head bolt, why, cause I cannot find any figures anywhere one the WWW about the true PPM of this failure mode. If they built 65000 of these engines and 650 popped (I can find about 20 examples on this entire forum), that would be a PPM of 10000, ie, not high enough for me to care about, thus buying a CLS63 with 28000 on the clock was not influenced. If MB did have any figures to worry about, they'd do a recall, simple maths.

As for the cam-follower wearing issue. I've never heard so much *****e in all my life. My engine rattles like a nightmare for a second or two on start up. I still paid full price for it. What engine with hydraulic lifters doesn't rattle on fire up, if for a second or two, and even if it does, what damage does that do? Bugger all.

Basically, I'm saying, I'm over the moon with my CLS63 and I'm glad that all the cr@p being written about the M156 didn't put me off my new purchase. I work for a major diesel engine manufacturer so can see through all the bollox when it comes to statistics. It all comes down to the math and the fact that they are hand built engines and top quality parts = sweetness.

Ady,,,,
Well put.

I put 30K miles on my C63, no problem. Now I'm at 30K on my ML63, smooth as it can be.

Truth is, every model of every single manufacturer in the world will experience a minor number of failures, which is the nature of any mass produced item.

I have been following this thread and so far, there is little statistical figures to make me loose any sleep over it.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AdyBee
Hi,

Ady,,,,

Your cam adjusters need replacing, that loud rattle on start will go away.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
MB does 3 tests before they will proceed with a head bolt claim
Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
MB does 3 tests before they will proceed with a head bolt claim
What are those three tests?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Banned

C63 AMG
57,000 thanks
could you post your invoice so that others can see the charge codes?

did MB do the 3 tests?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
did MB do the 3 tests?
Originally Posted by Sincity
What are those three tests?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I'd imagine:

1) Pressure test.
2) Check oil for prescence (sp?) of coolant.
3) Not sure what this one would be.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
pressure test(s) both on the coolant system & from the cylinder(s)
one will force coolant into the cylinder, the other air into the expansion tank

oil in coolant and coolant in oil

coolant loss, cool overnight, accurately adjust level, seal cap and recheck after a period of time
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Headbolt thread pitch M11 x 1.5. An oddball . Don't try to chase block threads with M12. Verified with an M12 vs M11 die.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 PM

ML63AMG, acura nsx
2010 ML63 Coolant issue

I am experiencing the exact same issue and now am just waiting to get it into Merc Dealership for them to look at it. At first they said they didn't have any time to even look at it for a week and that they knew nothing about a known issue with these cars but when I gave them more details, the tone changed and they said they would look at it right away and to have it towed in. Have to wonder, if they know nothing about the problem then why are they worried about towing it in? Just now waiting to hear back from Mercedes Canada to see if they're going to cover it despite the warranty being out.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by saziz
I am experiencing the exact same issue and now am just waiting to get it into Merc Dealership for them to look at it. At first they said they didn't have any time to even look at it for a week and that they knew nothing about a known issue with these cars but when I gave them more details, the tone changed and they said they would look at it right away and to have it towed in. Have to wonder, if they know nothing about the problem then why are they worried about towing it in? Just now waiting to hear back from Mercedes Canada to see if they're going to cover it despite the warranty being out.
They confirmed a headbolt is broken?
What symptons do you have?
How much coolant loss in what time frame?
Thnx
Old 05-02-2014, 04:02 PM

ML63AMG, acura nsx
Angry 2010 ML63 Coolant issue

The coolant leak has been going on for a few months now. It looks at least a litre/day and I have been refilling it every couple days.
Coolant has been leaking but there are no visible leaks nor any smell of coolant. I had the coolant tank and cap replaced. My mechanic can't find any leaks. Recently, the check engine light came on and I took it straight to my mechanic. Diagnostic showed a misfire on cylinder 8. He also checked spark plugs but they have been recently replaced and look good.
The CEL has been coming and going since and car drives really rough when it comes on. When the dealership told me to tow it over, then I knew it would be bad. Just now waiting for them to get back to me.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by saziz
The coolant leak has been going on for a few months now. It looks at least a litre/day and I have been refilling it every couple days.
Coolant has been leaking but there are no visible leaks nor any smell of coolant. I had the coolant tank and cap replaced. My mechanic can't find any leaks. Recently, the check engine light came on and I took it straight to my mechanic. Diagnostic showed a misfire on cylinder 8. He also checked spark plugs but they have been recently replaced and look good.
The CEL has been coming and going since and car drives really rough when it comes on. When the dealership told me to tow it over, then I knew it would be bad. Just now waiting for them to get back to me.
You have been losing > a quart a day and adding 1/2 gal every other day for months?
'At least' probably more
> 2 gal week!!

Is the car blowing white smoke?

That is a LOT of coolant

Last edited by Ingenieur; 05-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 PM

ML63AMG, acura nsx
You have been losing > a quart a day and adding 1/2 gal every other day for months?
'At least' probably more
> 2 gal week!!

Is the car blowing white smoke?

That is a LOT of coolant
I haven't seen white smoke which is the odd part. Agreed it's alot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M156 head bolt problems