Fix-it ticket, front tinted windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Fix-it ticket, front tinted windows

Just got pulled this afternoon for this bs citation. Not sure what the fine amount will be but I was told if I fixed it, I would only have to pay for a processing fee of ~$15. But I like the tints so I'm thinking of just paying the fine and chancing it in the future. I'm not sure how dark my front windows are, but they're about as dark as the rear ones.

What would you do?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
JCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
Just got pulled this afternoon for this bs citation. Not sure what the fine amount will be but I was told if I fixed it, I would only have to pay for a processing fee of ~$15. But I like the tints so I'm thinking of just paying the fine and chancing it in the future. I'm not sure how dark my front windows are, but they're about as dark as the rear ones.

What would you do?
First time I was pulled over for that I was given a warning which I blew off. Then about 2 months later got a ticket from the CHP and decided life was too short to worry about getting pulled over for front tints so had it removed.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Thanks for the vote, guys. My buddy actually had the same thing happen to him a few months back. He somehow managed to get a cop to sign off on his fix-it without actually making any changes. I'm going to see if I can get lucky with the same cop. In the meantime, I guess the actual amount of the fine will show up in the mail and I'll weigh what the real damage might be.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 AM

2010 C63, 2007 X5
In San Francisco, it's $10 for fix-it tickets.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
get a cop buddy to sign it off
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Or you could just not break the law and have a legal tint..
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sbce90
Or you could just not break the law and have a legal tint..
It came this way.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
It came this way.
Came that way from Merc or from previous owner? What are your rules and regulations for tinting? For where I am it is 35% all around and not including front windshield. But I know some places don't allow front tint at all.

Were you pulled up just for the tint? Or more things as well? I generally thought it would be unlikely to be stopped just for dark tint. But if you're driving poorly or have reason to be stopped - eg RBT, then tint is a secondary thing the police might look in to as they do a walk around. Either way, I say just take it off or do whatever needed to make it legal. You don't want to be commiting the same offence again.

btw you're not that ugly are you that you need dark tint?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM

home the point
If you know a friendly shop, you can get them to give you a receipt for tinting removal and pay the court cost without actually removing the tint. But that doesn't protect you from being pull over in the future. Alternatively you can always get a medical exemption if you know a doctor friend.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cptdaz
If you know a friendly shop, you can get them to give you a receipt for tinting removal and pay the court cost without actually removing the tint. But that doesn't protect you from being pull over in the future. Alternatively you can always get a medical exemption if you know a doctor friend.
Eye doctor, astigmatism?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM

home the point
Originally Posted by balthaser
Eye doctor, astigmatism?
Could be hyperphotosentitive sight or skin. Depends on the law in your state. I don't know the details but it was mentioned in another forum.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Since we're talking about tints, I have a question for you guys. I was wondering if getting illegal tints in FL would waive my insurance in case of an accident?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
NJ is gay...if you get caught with tints multiple times in a certain amount of time, they give u a very $$$$$$ ticket to pay.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sbce90
Came that way from Merc or from previous owner? What are your rules and regulations for tinting? For where I am it is 35% all around and not including front windshield. But I know some places don't allow front tint at all.

Were you pulled up just for the tint? Or more things as well? I generally thought it would be unlikely to be stopped just for dark tint. But if you're driving poorly or have reason to be stopped - eg RBT, then tint is a secondary thing the police might look in to as they do a walk around. Either way, I say just take it off or do whatever needed to make it legal. You don't want to be commiting the same offence again.

btw you're not that ugly are you that you need dark tint?
Either from Vivid in Arizona or the former owner. The laws in those hot states are different from California. Zero front tint is allowed here and mine are pretty dark. Yes, this is all I got pulled for. I know that getting a cop or shop to sign off won't make me immune in the future. I'm just looking to skirt around this without changing anything. If I keep getting pulled, then I might make a real change.