C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New to the MB world. Few Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corvette Z06
New to the MB world. Few Q's

I currently own a 2002 Corvette Z06. It's currently for sale and have been greatly considering a used C63 AMG as my next vehicle. It's pretty much a toss up between the C63 and a C6 Z06. Seeing as both cars are somewhat rare, it may come down to whichever deal I find first.

Anyways, I am new to the C63's and german cars for that matter. I have sat in a C63 and loved the feel of the car. My concern is that I may get bored with the car. I test drove a Lexus ISF a while back and while fun, it seemed a bit blan. The Corvettes just have so much personality and raw power that I may miss. Although the idea of having a four seater luxury car with a V8 and intoxicating exhaust note also excites me. I'm still young (24) but the squeaks and rattles of my Corvette tend to get on my nerves. I've been in plenty of C6's and they are not much better. The C63 seems like a nice blend of luxury and performance. As far as sex appeal goes... Ehh, I think that's a very close call between the C63 and a C6 Z06.

So now that I have rambled off my 2 cents, I'm interested in your opinion after owning a C63. Maintenance cost does concern me. My budget sits around $40K (usd) putting me in the 08-09 range with around 50k mi. I know these cars are built well, but how is the up keep on these cars, especially after 50k mi?

Also, coming form a Z06, I've got to have the performance pack. No LSD and a governed top speed would just chap my ***. I do plan to AutoX the car. I have searched and searched and can NOT find a definite answer as to how to tell which 08's and 09's have the performance pack. It seems some cars have some parts to identify it as a PP car but then they are missing some of the PP parts as well. For example, I've seen the alcantara steering wheel but no red calipers. Or carbon trim, without the steering wheel. I'm a bit confused.

Last but not least, I'm a sucker for power. Obviously why I'm considering the C63 and C6 Z06. How much power gains are yielded from a simple plug & play tune? I don't plan on modding much more than exhaust and tune.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Aside from my neighbor upgrading his Z06 to a ZR1, I don't have much Corvette knowledge beyond that.

You will find, however, that many owners on this board are very passionate about their C63s and will admit that they never get bored of it. I, myself, am addicted to driving my car. It's the closest feeling to riding my Ducati as I can get without throwing all practicality out the window.

As far as power goes, for my car, the stock was rated at 451hp. With the AMG package, it goes up to 481. What Rob @ Vivid told me was after a tune, headers, and a full exhaust kit, I should be pushing 530hp+. While that won't do much damage against a Vette, it will smoke just about every sport sedan out there, save the CTS-V with a good launch.

The performance package changed a few years ago, as it was explained to me. My package included the alcantara steering wheel but no red calipers. Some cars had carbon trim as an option, but mine has the grey walnut, I think. Any options should be on the original invoice, which I do have a copy of for my car.

As far as maintenance goes, I've only owned my car for a little over 2 months, but I've logged about 9k miles and so far, so good. My current mileage is about 31k.

Trust me, there is nothing sluggish or boring about a naturally aspirated V8. But to paint a fair picture, read this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...s-c63-amg.html. There are many comments about rattling and other noises, by myself included, but I was told that it is a common complaint based on the exhaust noise and vibration. A chief tech told me yesterday that they even disclaim that on the Black Series and other AMG vehicles.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
To be fair, I have a feeling that you might able to get a better deal trading your vette for a CTS-V. That aside, you will find MB dealership experience a step up from Chevrolet dealers.

Now back to the C63, early 08-09 P30 does NOT increase horse power, only the newer P31 does. Also the P30 LSD is only 40% lock vs. 100% lock from after market. Therefore, it will be pointless to look for that, and instead you need to get a cheap CPO non-P30 08-09 C63, then use the savings for a ECU and LSD, plus KW v3 if you want.

Good luck to you and please keep the questions coming.

Sheep
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 AM

Corvette Z06
The CTS-V just doesn't appeal to me. I know they are great performers but they just don't excite me like the C63. Not to mention, I'm selling the C5 privately, so trade in value isn't an issue. Sounds like my best option is to not worry about the PP and just find a deal on an 08-09. I definitely want a red one tho, seems these are a bit rare.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
You could always get it wrapped. The matte red look is killer.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
You could always get it wrapped. The matte red look is killer.
I second this as well. Since the MB red is not metallic, wrapping the car can easily copy the look, plus additional surface protection.

Sheep
Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM

2012 C63 AMG
I'm a former multiple Vette owner and just moved to the C63. I couldn't be happier. I've had five Vettes including a supercharged C6 Z06.

I finally got honest about my usage and needs. Other than pure racing exercises the C63 is a better car than the Vette(s) in almost every way. More comfort, passenger room, plenty of torquey power and mods for more, better electronics/technology, seats (of course), build quality, dealer experience, etc.

Every previous car I've owned has been a manual. I was an admitted tranny snob. I thought the "auto only" issue might be a deal breaker. Gas mileage is a bit worse, but I love the A7 with it's multiple modes. Truthfully, I didn't buy my Vettes for the mileage so it does not bother me a bit.

I held out for a long time. However, from the moment I took a test drive, I knew it was the right decision and do not have a single regret.

Last edited by Varreth; 05-18-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by CK9887
I currently own a 2002 Corvette Z06. It's currently for sale and have been greatly considering a used C63 AMG as my next vehicle. It's pretty much a toss up between the C63 and a C6 Z06. Seeing as both cars are somewhat rare, it may come down to whichever deal I find first.

Anyways, I am new to the C63's and german cars for that matter. I have sat in a C63 and loved the feel of the car. My concern is that I may get bored with the car. I test drove a Lexus ISF a while back and while fun, it seemed a bit blan. The Corvettes just have so much personality and raw power that I may miss. Although the idea of having a four seater luxury car with a V8 and intoxicating exhaust note also excites me. I'm still young (24) but the squeaks and rattles of my Corvette tend to get on my nerves. I've been in plenty of C6's and they are not much better. The C63 seems like a nice blend of luxury and performance. As far as sex appeal goes... Ehh, I think that's a very close call between the C63 and a C6 Z06.

So now that I have rambled off my 2 cents, I'm interested in your opinion after owning a C63. Maintenance cost does concern me. My budget sits around $40K (usd) putting me in the 08-09 range with around 50k mi. I know these cars are built well, but how is the up keep on these cars, especially after 50k mi?

Also, coming form a Z06, I've got to have the performance pack. No LSD and a governed top speed would just chap my ***. I do plan to AutoX the car. I have searched and searched and can NOT find a definite answer as to how to tell which 08's and 09's have the performance pack. It seems some cars have some parts to identify it as a PP car but then they are missing some of the PP parts as well. For example, I've seen the alcantara steering wheel but no red calipers. Or carbon trim, without the steering wheel. I'm a bit confused.

Last but not least, I'm a sucker for power. Obviously why I'm considering the C63 and C6 Z06. How much power gains are yielded from a simple plug & play tune? I don't plan on modding much more than exhaust and tune.

Thanks for any input.
I have both. Two way different cars. The Z06 has way more WOW appeal over a C63. The C63 kinda blends in. The Z06 screams look at me. I get nods and nice cars in the C63 often. I get it almost 100% of the time when I am in the Z06.

As far as performance its no contest unless you really get up there in moding the C63.

40K is under budget though for the Z06. Maybe a 2006 or 2007 wit high miles. A 2008 with low miles will cost you 50K min.

Same with the C63 but you might be able to find a deal on one for 40K in a 2008 or 2009. Its a bit short though.

The build quality is a little bit better on the C63 as far as noise goes. Otherwise the materials are both on the cheap side.

Last edited by propain; 05-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by Varreth
I'm a former multiple Vette owner and just moved to the C63. I couldn't be happier. I've had five Vettes including a supercharged C6 Z06.

I finally got honest about my usage and needs. Other than pure racing exercises the C63 is a better car than the Vette(s) in almost every way. More comfort, passenger room, plenty of torquey power and mods for more, better electronics/technology, seats (of course), build quality, dealer experience, etc.

Every previous car I've owned has been a manually. I was an admitted tranny snob. I thought the "auto only" issue might be a deal breaker. Gas mileage is a bit worse, but I love the A7 with it's multiple modes. Truthfully, I didn't buy my Vettes for the mileage so it does not bother me a bit.

I held out for a long time. However, from the moment I took a test drive, I knew it was the right decision and do not have a single regret.
I was also nearly scared away from the C63 because of the automatic...but the minute i heard that exhaust for myself.... i put the deposit down
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by propain
I have both. Two way different cars. The Z06 has way more WOW appeal over a C63. The C63 kinda blends in. The Z06 screams look at me. I get nods and nice cars in the C63 often. I get it almost 100% of the time when I am in the Z06.
this is very true. The vette is definitely a 'look at me' car. The C63 is more like a sleeper, the majority of the public will not notice the difference between a C63 and a normal C class and for me, that is just awesome. Of course, i wax the heck out of the thing and it pretty much glows lol... For the people that do say nice car, they tend to really know their stuff, makes for good conversations actually.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Fung63
this is very true. The vette is definitely a 'look at me' car. The C63 is more like a sleeper, the majority of the public will not notice the difference between a C63 and a normal C class and for me, that is just awesome. Of course, i wax the heck out of the thing and it pretty much glows lol... For the people that do say nice car, they tend to really know their stuff, makes for good conversations actually.

I sometimes have to give it a little gas at a light to let someone know I want a race while in the C63. Then they hear the exhaust note. Figure im some idiot who modified the exhaust of my C300 and laugh. The light turns and they think what an easy race this will be and you blow them away. They still think "I cant believe that guy modified his C300" but you still beat them.

The Z06 is a true race car. 3100lbs of pure *** on the ground 6 speed manual awesomeness. It screams look at me, but not because its loud, or because its trying to be something its not, Its just a sick race car.

The C63 is a big sedan but quite impressive for a 4 door can pretty much give most things on the road a beating with a tune. The Z06 is if you purely want a toy to play with.

Both is your best bet.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 PM

Corvette Z06
Ya, I wish I could afford both but I can't. Cops don't make much money these days :/

Thanks for the input. It is still a toss up and nearly impossible to find what I want for $40k. It will be my daily driver and only vehicle, so the C63 is appealing but at the same time, I'm young so the Vette is plenty comfy for me and I have been across the country in another C6 with no complaints.

My only issue with the C63 is repair cost. I think an extended warranty would be a wise investment.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Corvette Z06
So for those of you that have owned both or own both, does the C63 feel bland and lack personality or driving pleasure compared with the Z06?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
So for those of you that have owned both or own both, does the C63 feel bland and lack personality or driving pleasure compared with the Z06?
Tough question..... Two very different cars.

If I had to choose one..... Stock vs Stock... Even Stock Z06 vs Tuned C63... and I didn't care about 4 doors........The Z06. Its a way sicker car than the C63.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Ya, I wish I could afford both but I can't. Cops don't make much money these days :/

Thanks for the input. It is still a toss up and nearly impossible to find what I want for $40k. It will be my daily driver and only vehicle, so the C63 is appealing but at the same time, I'm young so the Vette is plenty comfy for me and I have been across the country in another C6 with no complaints.

My only issue with the C63 is repair cost. I think an extended warranty would be a wise investment.
My C63 is my DD and it's awesome. Reserved and classy when you want it to be, and a beast when you want to cut loose.

Move to CA. SF and Oakland cops make ~$88k I think.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
My C63 is my DD and it's awesome. Reserved and classy when you want it to be, and a beast when you want to cut loose.

Move to CA. SF and Oakland cops make ~$88k I think.
Trust me, I would in a heart beat if the whole state wasn't under a hiring freeze. Lots of police departments are even laying off.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 PM

Corvette Z06
Ive got my eye on this one

http://www.sewell.com/web/used/Merce...ition_id=10426
Old 05-19-2012, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig

The services are not cheap on these cars. Either is the maintenance. With a c63 with 60+ thousand miles you are coming up on some very expensive services. Just an FYI.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
You're going from fast apples to fast oranges. The is no way to compare a Z06/ZR1 to a C63. They are not even designed to address the same market. If you're in love with your Vette (a 2 door GT car) you're not going to like the C63 (a stealth saloon). Either you need four doors or you don't. Either you want to be noticed or you don't. Most people don't know the difference from an AMG C63 or a regular C class. Pull the badges and basically no one will figure it out. A Vette is a Vette no matter if it's a base, Z06, or ZR1 everyone knows it's fast and handles well.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
You're going from fast apples to fast oranges. The is no way to compare a Z06/ZR1 to a C63. They are not even designed to address the same market. If you're in love with your Vette (a 2 door GT car) you're not going to like the C63 (a stealth saloon). Either you need four doors or you don't. Either you want to be noticed or you don't. Most people don't know the difference from an AMG C63 or a regular C class. Pull the badges and basically no one will figure it out. A Vette is a Vette no matter if it's a base, Z06, or ZR1 everyone knows it's fast and handles well.
Good point. Even if you're down on hp, a Vette is still several hundred pounds lighter and more aerodynamic than a Merc.

Yeah, I think Oakland PD just laid off a couple dozen folks, not that you would want to be on that beat.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by propain
The services are not cheap on these cars. Either is the maintenance. With a c63 with 60+ thousand miles you are coming up on some very expensive services. Just an FYI.
Good to know. Can someone provide a little more insight as to what services can be expected with a higher mileage C63?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
I hear ya. I owned an IS300 in the past and I do miss the practicality/luxury of the car. I don't need four doors as I'm single with no kids but on the other hand, the back could get some use when my friends wanted to pile and and head out for the night.

I guess it just comes down to priorities or lack of. I am leaning towards the C6 Z because of the performance and attention aspect of it. Not to mention, the higher mileage Vettes are still cheaper to maintain. I just love the C63 as well and was debating whether or not it is really time for me to grow out of the Vette phase.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
You might also want to reference this thread here https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/441900-funny-thing-happened-work.html before making your decision LOL

all in good humour, you can't go wrong with either car. IMO I still say C63 cause you've already had a vette, life is short, try something else.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I heard the Lexus IS line doesn't have much functional interior space compared to other sedans in its class.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
I have a 2008 C63, and previously had a C6 Z06 for two years.

The exhaust and rumble of the C63 is addictive. Best exhaust sound out there. Has plenty of speed for me, but I really do enjoy having the 4 doors. After awhile, the corvette was just too small for my daily driving.

Interior and creature comforts of the C63 are better too, especially the stereo. The vette was terrible.

Speed wise...the C6 Z06 was flat out scary at times its so fast. But, the AMG is plenty for me.

Lastly...............the C7 is getting announced in about 6 months and those C6 Z06 should drop in price a little. If you go that route, I would wait until then.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to the MB world. Few Q's