C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Two Questions (Summer tire + Gear switch)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Two Questions (Summer tire + Gear switch)

Hello folks!

So today I'm taking my car in to change tires. Summer has finally arrived. It would be the first time driving my C63 with summer on!

Can someone tell me what to expect? How would handling change? The tires I had were brand new winter ones.

I've been told that summer has a better grip hence less traction, is that true? Because from my understanding, people use summer tire to "burn tire" - so I am a little confused in that regard!

Second question, I've been driving this car for 3 months now, and I finally gotten comfortable using manual/shifting with the gear. As you can all tell, down shifting, this car REALLY holds on a gear and drags speed really fast, hence needing less break. Is that ok? I've been using that to stop the car a lot lately, not to save on break consumption obviously but the sound of downshifting when it is coming to a stop is beautiful. I just want to make sure that it will not ruin the gear or anything like that?

Thanks

P.s. the previous car I used to own was a Toyota Matrix (1.8 v4) so it's quite a learning curve I have to go through.

P.s.2 I've been wanting this car since 2008 and now that I have, I think I want to keep it for the long term. Getting into the car every morning still excites me as if it was day one!
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM

(My car); 2012 vw golf TDI manual. (dads car) 2011 C63 Amg. P31. Carbon trim.LSD.
personally I can't help you with the tire question. However, downshifting while slowing down/stopping is completely fine and doesn't do any damage. Enjoy the sound it makes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM

2012 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by someuser
Hello folks!

Can someone tell me what to expect? How would handling change? The tires I had were brand new winter ones.

I've been told that summer has a better grip hence less traction, is that true? Because from my understanding, people use summer tire to "burn tire" - so I am a little confused in that regard!
First off I would say coming from winter to summer tires would make it feel like an entirely different car and I mean that in a really good way. Summer tires are a special tread compound (softer/stickier) that is designed to be driven in warmer temperatures and actually will become quite hard and lose a lot of traction in colder temperatures which in turn make them unsafe below a certain temp. I don't follow the "better grip = less traction".....to me grip is the same as traction. In short your car is probably going to surprise you with the increased amount of "grip/traction" available vs. the winter tire.