C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Question on MidCityEngineerings VIM + Camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Question on MidCityEngineerings VIM + Camera

I just bought a 2012 C63 AMG (pics to come - its still raining here), but it didn't have a back up camera installed which is one thing I would have liked it to have.

I've done some digging on the forums and it seems like the Mid City Engineering VIM204K (VIM + Camera) seems to be a popular choice here.

My question is, I saw the few steps you have to do to enable the vim (push +/-, then do a couple other things). Do you have to do this EVERY time you want VIM? Or is it a one time thing? You just do it once and its always enabled even if you turn off the car and restart it?

Also, will having the VIM enabled allow you to input addresses while moving?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
It resets when you shut off the car.

You push + and - once, and it activates VIM and Nav entry in motion. Press it again turns it off. The nav is less accurate with VIM on, so usually after address entry, I turn it off if I'm using nav.

It's a great setup. I have one coming for the C BS right now so the kid in the back can watch a movie on trips.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Also, will having the VIM enabled allow you to input addresses while moving?

Thanks for the help!

You can input addresses while moving by using the voice command on your steering wheel
Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rage2
It resets when you shut off the car.

You push + and - once, and it activates VIM and Nav entry in motion. Press it again turns it off. The nav is less accurate with VIM on, so usually after address entry, I turn it off if I'm using nav.

It's a great setup. I have one coming for the C BS right now so the kid in the back can watch a movie on trips.
How much does it affect nav when its running?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by callmiro
You can input addresses while moving by using the voice command on your steering wheel
Yes, am aware of that.

Its ridiculous that you can't input an address while moving. What if my passenger was inputting it?

Anyway, I'm really just wanting the back up camera, but if this enables a feature that should have been that way from the factory -- all the better.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Yes, am aware of that.

Its ridiculous that you can't input an address while moving. What if my passenger was inputting it?

Anyway, I'm really just wanting the back up camera, but if this enables a feature that should have been that way from the factory -- all the better.

I'll address both your questions.

1) You don't need VIM in order to have a rear camera installed. There is a slot behind your headunit that allows you to plug in a rear camera via a FAKRA adapter. This option does not require you push "+/-" to activate the camera.
2) It is only when you install the VIM, that you will have to plug the camera into the VIM module. I do the same thing as Rage, I only turn it on, so I can input the address while driving. I shut it off once I'm done. If you leave it on, your camera won't automatically activate when you put it into reverse.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
I'll address both your questions.

1) You don't need VIM in order to have a rear camera installed. There is a slot behind your headunit that allows you to plug in a rear camera via a FAKRA adapter. This option does not require you push "+/-" to activate the camera.
2) It is only when you install the VIM, that you will have to plug the camera into the VIM module. I do the same thing as Rage, I only turn it on, so I can input the address while driving. I shut it off once I'm done. If you leave it on, your camera won't automatically activate when you put it into reverse.
Ahhh.. Interesting. I thought you were required to have the VIM in order to install an aftermarket rear view camera.

I suppose I'll have to some more digging into this forum to figure out what cameras work well with the C63 AMG and where to get the proper FAKRA adapter.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahhh.. Interesting. I thought you were required to have the VIM in order to install an aftermarket rear view camera.

I suppose I'll have to some more digging into this forum to figure out what cameras work well with the C63 AMG and where to get the proper FAKRA adapter.

Thanks!
When I had my C350, I bought my fakra adapter from midcity. The quality of the aftermarket kenwoods are a lot better than the factory units. In addition, when you install it, you can center mount the camera. My 63 has the factory rear camera option and I am disappointed.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
If you leave it on, your camera won't automatically activate when you put it into reverse.
Interesting, I must have a newer version of the VIM. The backup camera definately works with VIM enabled. I have a child asking when the movie will come back on everytime I'm in reverse!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting, I must have a newer version of the VIM. The backup camera definately works with VIM enabled. I have a child asking when the movie will come back on everytime I'm in reverse!
You must have a special unit. When my VIM is activated, the camera won't activate. I even called mid-city to see if I had an older version and if I could get a firmware update. They confirmed that it disables the camera when VIM is activated. I'm jealous of your VIM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
When I had my C350, I bought my fakra adapter from midcity. The quality of the aftermarket kenwoods are a lot better than the factory units. In addition, when you install it, you can center mount the camera. My 63 has the factory rear camera option and I am disappointed.
++1...can't see much except the border of the plates and its off to the side...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:01 PM

2009 C63
1) You don't need VIM in order to have a rear camera installed. There is a slot behind your headunit that allows you to plug in a rear camera via a FAKRA adapter.
Wait, so all I need is to fish the RCA cabled backup cam to the head unit and add a FAKRA adapter plug to get it working? The head unit automatically switches the screen to the backup cam when I engage reverse? No additional hardware needed?

And is this the right FAKRA adapter?

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/sea...+fakra+adapter
Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 sedan
Did you buy it from mid city engineering or eBay? The eBay one is like half price..
Old 05-23-2012, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
++1...can't see much except the border of the plates and its off to the side...

Yup! On top of that, the picture quality from the kenwood unit was so much clearer and better low light quality.

Originally Posted by derspi
Wait, so all I need is to fish the RCA cabled backup cam to the head unit and add a FAKRA adapter plug to get it working? The head unit automatically switches the screen to the backup cam when I engage reverse? No additional hardware needed?

And is this the right FAKRA adapter?

http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/sea...+fakra+adapter
I called up mid-city engineering and paid the $22 dollars+shipping they asked for. It fit perfectly and that in itself is worth the price.

Yes, all you have to do is fish a .99 cents rca cable from the back to the fakra cable and plug it into the headunit. If you're handy, it's a pretty simple job. The only other thing you have to do is, activate the reverse camera function in the head unit. You tap the reverse tail light for the camera power, so that when you engage reverse, it will engage the lights and camera.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 sedan
You must have a special unit. When my VIM is activated, the camera won't activate. I even called mid-city to see if I had an older version and if I could get a firmware update. They confirmed that it disables the camera when VIM is activated. I'm jealous of your VIM.
Sounds like the eBay version may be better... Rsquad911 states reverse camera automatically comes up and no need for pressing buttons to activate..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...oval-help.html
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Yup! On top of that, the picture quality from the kenwood unit was so much clearer and better low light quality.

I called up mid-city engineering and paid the $22 dollars+shipping they asked for. It fit perfectly and that in itself is worth the price.

Yes, all you have to do is fish a .99 cents rca cable from the back to the fakra cable and plug it into the headunit. If you're handy, it's a pretty simple job. The only other thing you have to do is, activate the reverse camera function in the head unit. You tap the reverse tail light for the camera power, so that when you engage reverse, it will engage the lights and camera.
Which reverse camera did you use? You mention Kenwood, but do you have a model number?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Any other suggestions on Cameras? I see the Kenwood CMOS cameras but doing reading it seems the CCD is better quality in low light, etc.

Anyone have any CCD recommendations?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The one I installed was the kenwood ccd-2000.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by late_bloomer
Did you buy it from mid city engineering or eBay? The eBay one is like half price..
My installer bought it direct from mid city engineering. Reading the posts more, I'm talking about my OEM reverse camera in the C63, which may be the difference?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My installer bought it direct from mid city engineering. Reading the posts more, I'm talking about my OEM reverse camera in the C63, which may be the difference?
My C63 has the OEM camera, I was referring to my C350 that I installed the Kenwood CCD-2000. I'll take a look at my head unit this weekend to see if plugging the camera back into the headunit instead of the VIM will make any difference.