Clear bra, and a specific question and advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
ara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
Clear bra, and a specific question and advice needed

Ok my car should be here soon, it's the end of May. I have someone ready to do my clear bra, on the coupe.

1. Hood 16 inches, mirrors, bumper. Is that enough coverage? How much have you paid for this?

I have a specific problem at the condo, where I park, left side of my car is an emergency exit door. People are careless when they use it, and rub on my current car and I have some fine scratches. Now on the new car the part they rub will be between the wheel well and taillight in this pic. Would covering this section with clear film look weird? Should I do both sides to balance? Or one side won't be obvious?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I went full-custom on the front bumper cover, hood, fenders and rockers. That meant one-piece (no seams) Venture Shield. I had started out with the standard kit as cut from the plotter (hood, bumper and fenders)...big mistake as I found out later, because the seams were a PITA to keep clear of wax and dirt and the partial hood just looked terrible to me. The seams distract your eye and the car just doesn't look so good. So, to answer your question, a partial on your rear quarter IMO might look a tad strange but covering that area still might be the best solution. You should go to a good install shop or two and talk to them about it.

I would recommend a full hood. Venture may be your only choice, since as of a year ago it was the only film wide enough to cover a hood. The drawback of Venture is that it is not particularly stain-resistant, various droppings from the sky leave visible, semi-permanent blotches. It will also yellow over time which is a problem on light grey or white cars. I use a Porter Cable on the film when I polish the car and it still looks remarkably decent after two years.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
ara

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
thank you. I mostly park indoors, even at work so the time my car spends outside stationary is little. I'm going to call the guy this week and see if he can get another brand. So you suggest whole hood, whole front, headlights and all? except the grill for airflow
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
go for whole hood for sure.

also, why are people using emergency exit doors? Unless there are alot of emergencies at your condo? Can you switch to another parking spot? I'm super picky when it comes to my parking spots. When I bought my condos, I hand picked where I wanted my spot to be else the deal was off.

gratz on the car tho
Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
how much does this cost?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ara
I'm going to call the guy this week and see if he can get another brand.
All brands have drawbacks. Venture may have the best optics of the lot...if it still is the only film that is wide enough to do a full hood...well, there you have it.

Originally Posted by ara
So you suggest whole hood, whole front, headlights and all? except the grill for airflow
That makes sense. I didn't do the grill on mine. You need to shop it around...get recommendations and quotes. The quality and price of the installation can vary quite a bit. The custom bumper film on my M5 was not nearly as good as that on the C63 (the latter done by a different installer).
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM
ara

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
condo came with the spot, can't change it. Moving to a new one within 2 years when new one is finally constructed. I'll have 2 parking spaces in that one. People use it, can't stop them. Unfortunately my car is there.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
One thing, when we did clear bra, we had them put some on the top of the back bumper to the width of the trunk (the place where luggage wheels and everything else taps the top of the back bumper).

Every car more than a couple years old has dings on the top of the bumper from cargo and luggage going in and out. My SA said he'd never seen that done before.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CELLryuu
how much does this cost?
I used Premier (SoCal shop, not NorCal) and paid an arm and a leg...but they are THE best. You basically could not tell there was a film on the front bumper, the wrap being essentially perfect around and into every opening. Around SoCal the going rate at other install shops might be half of what they charge. Now that I'm a two-time vet of the process I'll shop it very aggressively next time. That's just to say the price really varies.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 AM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
Originally Posted by bhamg
All brands have drawbacks. Venture may have the best optics of the lot...if it still is the only film that is wide enough to do a full hood...well, there you have it.

That makes sense. I didn't do the grill on mine. You need to shop it around...get recommendations and quotes. The quality and price of the installation can vary quite a bit. The custom bumper film on my M5 was not nearly as good as that on the C63 (the latter done by a different installer).
I install VentureShield as well as a few other films. There are numerous films on the market that you can get in 60" widths to do full panels. Xpel has two lines (Ultimate and Extreme) than come that wide and Suntek has a new film that comes in 60". Avery Nano Fusion is abotu to come out with a 60" film as well.... so there are numerous options. Although I have installed VentureShield Ultr afor nearly 9 years now I am really liking the new Suntek film as the topcoat self heals... scratches heal up with a little heat (parking it in the sun works). Xpel also has a film out that self heals, Ultimate, but I prefer Suntek after testing both films. I also think the new films are a little smoother and clearer than Ventureshield... although they are very close to the untrained eye.

Back to the OPs original post, the area you are talking about covering would be easy to wrap and it would not be noticable on the car. There are some natural lines to follow on the vehicle if you dont want to wrap the entire rear bumper.... and the films are pretty clear and thin. I am assuming you are geting the car in the photo... if thats the case it will be one of the best colors you can get film applied to as it will hide the film very well. I would still do both sides of the car (if it were mine) as that area can get a little chipped up anyway. And the cost should be minimal to cover those areas. By the way, congrats on he new car. I know you must be excited...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
ara

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
thanks guys, lot's of info here. I appreciate it. Going to call some companies. soon
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I would also recommend doing the front of the rear wheel fender flare area, as it takes alot of hits when you drive on roads with lots of debris (might not be an issue for you where are you.. but in Washington DC.. there is constant construction of roads where I drive). The flared out area is more likely to take stones and debris from teh front wheels.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM
ara

2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
will keep that in mind, lots of construction here. And i'm in the biz too
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
I install VentureShield as well as a few other films. There are numerous films on the market that you can get in 60" widths to do full panels. Xpel has two lines (Ultimate and Extreme) than come that wide and Suntek has a new film that comes in 60". Avery Nano Fusion is abotu to come out with a 60" film as well.... so there are numerous options. Although I have installed VentureShield Ultr afor nearly 9 years now I am really liking the new Suntek film as the topcoat self heals... scratches heal up with a little heat (parking it in the sun works). Xpel also has a film out that self heals, Ultimate, but I prefer Suntek after testing both films. I also think the new films are a little smoother and clearer than Ventureshield... although they are very close to the untrained eye.
pro-tect - I'll be "filming" two full hoods and a front bumper cover shortly. If you had to pick one film instead of Venture that is 60" what would you recommend? I've always been a little disappointed in the orange-peel quality of Venture so the "smoother and clearer" portion of your advice sounds good. The trouble I have in SoCal is with the yellow pollen-like spots that leave a cloudy stain even if removed promptly. Stain-resistance would be an added bonus if improved from Venture. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 PM

2007 Jeep SRT-8
I really like the Suntek film. It has a great self healing topcoat and is perfectly smooth. It is also VERY easy to install and adhesive distortions will also go away. Really a good overall film... and not overpriced like some of the other brands out there.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
I really like the Suntek film. It has a great self healing topcoat and is perfectly smooth. It is also VERY easy to install and adhesive distortions will also go away. Really a good overall film... and not overpriced like some of the other brands out there.
Thanks, very useful to know. I'll try it.