Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Mini review: Endless pads and other brake items

Hi everyone,

I had the C63 out at the track today for its second track day... this will also be its last as my tracked prepped E36 M3 will be here for the next event.

After two hard track days, I thought I might post a mini review of the brake mods I made. The temperature today was around 20c. We ran 30 minute lapping sessions with 30 minute breaks. I pushed the car very, very hard. I ran out of gas on the session after lunch The course is a fairly short, very technical course. Last year, I boiled the brake fluid (OEM) on my M3 and toasted a set of OEM pads.

The mods are as follows:

Endless MX72 pads
Stainless steel lines
Castrol SRF fluid (I originally bought Motul 660 but then changed my mind)

Over the entire day there was zero brake fade. The MX72 pads performed remarkably well (I can only imagine how capable the ME20s would be). Excellent bite, consistent pedal feel, no judder or deposits on the rotors. My measure of really good brakes is when I forget about the brakes altogether. When I never even think about braking is when they are working really well... it is very confidence inspiring.

As mentioned, this was my second day on the pads/fluid and both days were excellent and consistent all day.

Overall, the car itself performed remarkably well. No overheating issues, well balanced handling, amazing power. I think the limiting factor in performance were the tires. The Michelin PSS were great but did get greasy and I kept wanting for more grip. RE-11 or AD08 would have resulted in better laps and more control. I also had to run the PSS at around 44 hot to keep them from rolling over on the sidewall too much (this is with -2.0 deg camber in the front). They had very good grip and actually held up well but I kept wishing I had the RE-11s that were on my M3 last year. They are a better street tire but, IMO, there are better track options out there.

In many ways I'm sad that this will be the last track day for the C63... it is a surprisingly good track car given its weight. The only time the car let me down was tranny performance. The car would sometimes not shift down when I wanted it to... that or it would be delayed. I ended up coming into corners 1 gear too high sometimes because of this. Luckily, the crazy torque saved me as the car would still pull even in a gear that was too high. On a longer track with more straight aways, the C63 would be even more impressive. If the car had a real DCT (I'm not optimistic that it ever will as the new SL65 AMG doesn't have a DCT either ) and weighed 300 lbs less it would be a beast at the track.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M156 and LS7
Excellent review as always, enjoy the new E36 M3, I had MX72 before, really like the good pedal feel, but after hard driving at Mid-Ohio, they still cracked and warped my 2 piece oem rotors
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 AM

C63
What brand of brake lines did you use? I don't think goodridge ever came out lines for c63
Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
I got them from ACG and am not sure what brand.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
how are the endless pads for daily driving? do they dust alot?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by noodleman
how are the endless pads for daily driving? do they dust alot?
No more dusting that OEM and quieter in my experience. I am very pleased with the Endless pads. The ONLY downside, IMO, is that they require a little more brake pedal pressure to stop the car when dead cold. This goes away in about 2 minutes of driving and then they become very strong.