C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2011 C63 CPO question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63
2011 C63 CPO question

I'm looking at buying a '11 C63 that from a MB dealer that is CPO'd. Now, the issue is the dealer states it is CPO'd but doesn't carry any CPO warranty unless I'm willing to pay for it. He states it has passed the 155 point inspection but they're not including a 12-month warranty. They claim the inspection and the CPO warranty are 2 separate things and since they're selling the car at a loss they won't include any CPO warranty.

I am under the impression that if it is CPO'd it has to at least carry a 12-month warranty, I then have the option of adding 12 or 24 more months for an additional cost.

Am I mistaken here?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
if its an '11 isn't it under warranty for 3 more years anyways? Or am I missing something?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
the basic CPO warranty (at least up here in canada) adds another 2 years of warranty to the car. so its a 6 yr one. However, the 2 year coverage you get is pretty crappy and I recommend you pay for the extended limited warranty anyways

To OP, if its a great deal,.. and since it still has like 3 yrs on it, I think that's ok. If you go with the extended warranty later on, you'll override whatever the CPO warranty was anyways.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'm with Pat...it should be 4 years. Which dealership is this?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:15 PM

C63
Originally Posted by PatSC23
if its an '11 isn't it under warranty for 3 more years anyways? Or am I missing something?
I thought the CPO was 12 months added on to your factory warranty. When I bought mine I had a 4 year warranty plus CPO making it a 5 year warranty.

If I'm mistaken then I am in trouble cuz I planned on keeping it for 5 years and getting a new one, although depending on the motor for 2014 I may end up getting a 2013.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:23 PM

2007 ML63
Originally Posted by PatSC23
It does have 3 more years of factory warranty, but this isn't my issue with the dealer.

Originally Posted by Fung63
To OP, if its a great deal,.. and since it still has like 3 yrs on it, I think that's ok. If you go with the extended warranty later on, you'll override whatever the CPO warranty was anyways.
Problem isn't t the price, just that I feel the dealer is trying to screw me out of $1500 to pay for the initial 12-month CPO warranty. Why should I have to pay for something that is supposed to come with the car?

I'm just trying to find out if the CPO'd car is supposed to, as per MB USA standards, include the 12-month CPO warranty. If they're advertising it as a CPO car then it needs to follow MB CPO policies.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Which dealership is this?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM

2007 ML63
MB of Houston North
Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I'm guessing there isn't anything closer? I got my car PPI'd at Schumacher and they did it for free. Maybe you could give them a call and ask them the question. I'm sure they'd give you a straightforward answer.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/warranty_info

http://usedcars.about.com/od/certifi...ercedesCPO.htm
Each Mercedes Benz certified pre-owned has less than 75,000 miles and is less than 6 model years old.

Mercedes-Benz USA has introduced an enhanced extended limited warranty (ELW) for its Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles. Effective February 2011, the Mercedes-Benz CPO ELW has additional mileage coverage for both the one and two year warranty packages: The one year will cover up to 120,000 miles (up from 100,000) and the two-year will cover up to 135,000 miles (up from 100,000).

Every Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz comes with a one year CPO warranty that covers the vehicle for one year and up to 100,000 total vehicle accumulated miles. The Mercedes CPO warranty begins after the Mercedes-Benz four-year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires by time or mileage, whichever comes first. The MBCPO Extended Limited Warranty begins after the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty expires. At this point, the new CPO ELW provides vehicle coverage for another 12 months or up to 120,000 total vehicle accumulated miles or 24 months, or up to 135,000 total vehicle accumulated miles.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by BGA23
It does have 3 more years of factory warranty, but this isn't my issue with the dealer.

Problem isn't t the price, just that I feel the dealer is trying to screw me out of $1500 to pay for the initial 12-month CPO warranty. Why should I have to pay for something that is supposed to come with the car?

I'm just trying to find out if the CPO'd car is supposed to, as per MB USA standards, include the 12-month CPO warranty. If they're advertising it as a CPO car then it needs to follow MB CPO policies.

I see... but check what a CPO warranty entails... like i said if its anything like in Canada, the CPO warranty is junk.

*edit, just saw what CoolBDPhenom03 wrote... maybe the 1 yr of warranty from cpo in the states is the same as a full elw... would be interesting to find out

You can maybe buy the extended warranty but get them to discount the cost of that by $1500 so neither side feels like they got screwed. just a thought. And of course, if you gut tells you to walk away... you follow your gut

Last edited by Fung63; 06-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Sounds like a shady dealership. Don't assume all MB dealership is honest. To give an example, my local dealership is really no different than that from a used car lot. So I went elsewhere.

Okay, I had my homework done last Dec on CPO, so I'm farily certain about this. HoozyerDaddyC63 is accurate in stating the additional 12 months added to the original 4 years for a total of 5 years factory warranty on CPO cars. From what I know, all MB CPO cars will get the 12 months as part of the CPO process. So in this sense, I think that dealer is trying to screw up over. Call MB main number and ask them about how CPO works.

If you want to get an extended warranty through MB, call around or look around on mbworld or benzworld forums since you can price shop. I got mine from Rich at Georgetown MB in TX; while I live near Chicago). It's for 7 years and 125K miles of factory warranty if you plan to keep it that long. While speaking with MB dealer of your choice, they will run the car's vin at their computer because they will need to check to see that "CPO" clearly stated in the MB database for them to issue the warranty. The MB databse will state the end of the warranty period. My feeling is if it is a real CPO, the end date will be 5 years from the time when the car was first placed in service.

All in all, I think your local MB dealer is a shady one.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM

2007 ML63
I highly doubt I'll even have the car when the factory warranty expires in 3 years. But my thing is if you advertise the car as CPO'd, then that's how you need to sell the it. The car is 1000 miles away so I can't deal with them face-to-face.

It seems to me they're trying to get out of selling it CPO'd in an effort to save some money. And if they're trying to get out of selling a car advertised as CPO, it certainly calls into question their integrity/honesty. We haven't even discussed the price yet. I can just see showing up to drive it have and having them say, "Oh, you wanted tires? Sorry, but that'll be extra..."
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
This is what I'd do.

Call them out on it, show them the websites I posted and see what they do. If they don't cave, then forget about them. Take your good money elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:01 PM

2007 ML63
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
This is what I'd do.

Call them out on it, show them the websites I posted and see what they do. If they don't cave, then forget about them. Take your good money elsewhere.
I like the car but I'm hard pressed to think I still want to give them my business, i just don't trust them right now. The used car sales manager left me a voicemail earlier today, I haven't gotten around to calling him back just yet.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I know what you mean. If you really like the car, see what they have to say. If you're open to other vehicles, I'd check out other dealerships. As I said before, just from the way I/Rob@ Vivid was treated by Schumacher, I wouldn't hesitate buying a car from them.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM

The following is from: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/cpo/warranty_info

With every Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz comes peace of mind, because every MBCPO vehicle is backed by one of the most comprehensive pre-owned vehicle limited warranties available.
For starters, any remaining portion of the Mercedes-Benz four-year/50,000 mile* New Vehicle Limited Warranty applies to the vehicle. After that, MBCPO Limited Warranty provides comprehensive vehicle coverage for another 12 months, or up to 100,000 total vehicle accumulated miles.* For those MBCPO vehicles that are no longer covered by the New Vehicle Warranty, the MBCPO Limited Warranty takes effect at the time of delivery.

Here is another page that is linked to directly from the MB CPO search results page which pretty clearly states the warranty is included.

http://www.mypreownedmercedes.com/benefits

I don't see any indication the warranty is optional.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Definitely get a MB dealer to run the database. If it is a CPO, it will say such in the database. There will also be the warranty end date on there and the date the car was placed in service. Personally, I would only go for a CPO for a used car.

By the way back in November, my local shady dealer wanted to charge me for nitrogen that REPORTEDLY was already in the tires. I told them I wasn't interested and I told them to drain it and fill it with air and they replied they couldn't do that. Obviously, I didn't buy anything from them and will have nothing to do with them in the future.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by BGA23

The dealer is jerking you. CPO means it includes the 12 months of additional warranty beyond whats left on the original warranty. You can also buy a MBZ factory warranty beyond the original warranty and CPO warranty time periods, however you cannot buy the extended warranty unless the car has the CPO warranty on it when purchased from a MBZ dealer.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by otakki
Definitely get a MB dealer to run the database. If it is a CPO, it will say such in the database. There will also be the warranty end date on there and the date the car was placed in service. Personally, I would only go for a CPO for a used car.

By the way back in November, my local shady dealer wanted to charge me for nitrogen that REPORTEDLY was already in the tires. I told them I wasn't interested and I told them to drain it and fill it with air and they replied they couldn't do that. Obviously, I didn't buy anything from them and will have nothing to do with them in the future.
This is really interesting because the local Costco will fill my tires with nitrogen for free even if I didn't buy the tires from them.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
The dealer is jerking you. CPO means it includes the 12 months of additional warranty beyond whats left on the original warranty. You can also buy a MBZ factory warranty beyond the original warranty and CPO warranty time periods, however you cannot buy the extended warranty unless the car has the CPO warranty on it when purchased from a MBZ dealer.
This is correct. The only thing to add is you can purchase up to an additional 24 months or 135000 miles on top of the CPO warranty. The only catch is you have to buy it at the time of sale. I paid roughly 4000 for it and was told it was not negotiable.