C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

World wide shortage of AMG factory rims.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
World wide shortage of AMG factory rims.

Tech friend just told me that BBS is going bankrupt. They make the AMG rims. Apparently, they haven't found anyone to take over yet and now AMG rims are all back ordered world wide...

Anyone else hear this? Could explain some delays people are seeing with new cars?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
WOW.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
BBS files for bankruptcy... again.
BBS, the iconic wheel maker officially filed for Bankruptcy on December 30, 2010. Truly sad news from one of the best wheel makers on the planet. A company that has teamed up with BMW many times to design and create specific wheels.

BBS has created some of the most memorable light alloy wheels, but despite that had filed for Bankruptcy back in 2007, only to be saved by Belgian holding firm Punch international, allowing BBS to continue their daily operations.

According to German language paper FAZ.net, the move was a bit of a surprise to everyone involved, including corporate partner IG Metall whose CEO told FAZ that he planned a multi-million dollar investment in the firm. Competing wheel maker, Ronal, also had plans to purchase a BBS factory in Germany, which BBS states is still on track.

The original reasons cited for Bankruptcy in 2007 where the rising costs of Aluminum, it seems that BBS have been unable to get over the same hurdles and is now intent on shutting down major OE wheels production in order to focus on its "core" bussiness of building speciality wheels only.

BBS reached out to Autoblog and gave the following quote:
Quote:
"In Germany, BBS has filed for restructuring (Similar to the US Chapter 11) and at the same time they have a LOI with Ronal to buy the BBS plant in Herbolzheim. (Herbolzheim is the production facility for standard OEM high volume production.)

The intent of BBS is to re-focus on our core business in Schiltach; Motorsports, OES business (Ferrari, Porsche, etc... and including our US based programs with Ford, Toyota, etc.), High-end aftermarket and Technology development. (Schiltach is the BBS headquarters responsible for all engineering, development, high-end and specialty production, etc.)

BBS began life as a "Racing wheel" company (in Schiltach) over 40 years ago, several years later they began producing aftermarket wheels and a few years later they were producing "Specialty" OE wheels (OES).

BBS is just returning to its core business."
Source: FAZ.net via Autoblog
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Porsche 911
Originally Posted by Merc63
Tech friend just told me that BBS is going bankrupt. They make the AMG rims. Apparently, they haven't found anyone to take over yet and now AMG rims are all back ordered world wide...

Anyone else hear this? Could explain some delays people are seeing with new cars?
I call bull****tt
Old 06-06-2012, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
The wheel business is tuff. Car makers will change suppliers over a $1.00 difference per wheel. The aftermarket is flooded with fly by night "manufacturers" undercutting the more reputable companies that design, test, and actually manufacture their own wheels. BBS makes a very high quality wheels but has lagged in updating it's designs for the aftermarket which can be very fickle. Hence it may bow out of the aftermarket segment as it is unable to compete with rapid changes in design tastes and still maintain it's standard of quality.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
My stock AMG 18's are stamped Borbet... are they also owned by BBS?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
This is tough news...I hope they can emerge from this reorganization in better standing.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by bsmooth7
I call bull****tt
It may be true. I know that Porsche recently stopped using BBS wheels on their factory 911 RSR and Cup cars. I think a few other race teams have also switched away from BBS. Maybe that was a sign of things to come...hopefully not thought.

It would really suck to a see a company with the heritage of BBS go out of business.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by Roswell
My stock AMG 18's are stamped Borbet... are they also owned by BBS?
AMG and MB have had several manufactuers under contract for wheels, I once had a set of 3 piece AMG SL wheels that were produced from OZ Racing. I have also had Borbet and they are good wheels as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
I know they are in a financial pickle but a company with this heritage and connection to industry will be hard to "close down". could be bought out or just reorganized.

I really like BBS and their products. My family has 2 sets for previous cars we owned. lms in gold finish and a diamond black as well. But in the aftermarket industry, I've seen them fade from importance over the years... just imo of course.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Fung63
I know they are in a financial pickle but a company with this heritage and connection to industry will be hard to "close down". could be bought out or just reorganized.
Tell that to the shareholders of other industry sweethearts... like Nortel

Although I agree with the heritage, the value is in the brand. Telling the creditors that there is heritage and connection to the industry likely won't really matter. Having said that, who knows what is actually happening and where it will end up. I suppose if the company went bankrupt, someone may buy the brand and continue it but it would not be the company it is today or was yesterday. New owners would use their manufacturing techniques, etc.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by gthal
Tell that to the shareholders of other industry sweethearts... like Nortel

Although I agree with the heritage, the value is in the brand. Telling the creditors that there is heritage and connection to the industry likely won't really matter. Having said that, who knows what is actually happening and where it will end up. I suppose if the company went bankrupt, someone may buy the brand and continue it but it would not be the company it is today or was yesterday. New owners would use their manufacturing techniques, etc.
agree.. and like nortel... it is prime to be broken up to bits and assets sold.

I have a hunch BBS' operating costs are way larger than what it really should be. Times have changed, revenue models shifts but their cost structures are still of the old. They are not as nimble as the newer wheels companies in the market now yet find themselves tough to compete with the premium premium brands. Marketing slips, they fall further behind.. just the accountant in me analyzing this from afar lol

bankruptcy gives them time to reorganize but the management has shown it is not able to do that (although I hope they will this time)... either being bought out or pieced out is the only other way investors will get some $$ back.

The brand and heritage will be bait for a new investor... one with deep pockets that want to quickly gain brand awareness or penetration into other markets. Typical examples will be up and coming asian manufacturers that struggle with promoting their own brand. this can be a ticket to fast entry. just a thought

Last edited by Fung63; 06-06-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63

BBS going bankrupt? are you sure. I have had a few cars that mount BBS rims from factory and they are good selling cars(Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru STI, VW Jetta GLI-18" rim ). I just can't see BBS going bankrupt while they keep providing rims to cars under current production... this is just my opinion but I could be wrong.

At one point I thought that BBS were made in Japan and Germany but that is just me not being 100%.

Here ae the STI:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2012+...9,r:6,s:0,i:86

Here are the VW Jetta GLI:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2007+...9,r:4,s:0,i:85

and here is for the Evo X Mr 2012:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2012+...43-3LDA&zoom=1

My guess is that BBS can't be doing that bad. And this is just me speaking of cars that I currently have or had, I am sure there are many more actory cars with BBS rims being produced.

Last edited by C63newdude; 06-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.