C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

First C63 Track Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 PP, 2012 X3
First C63 Track Day

So I ran my first track day in the C63 today. Previously, I've tracked my two M's in my sig. I ran Mosport, which is a very fast and scary track, for those that know it.

Overall impression of the car was favourable once I managed to get settled in it. I did not run my M3 at Mosport, but instead at other shorter and more technical tracks - Mosport is a HP track. Have driven Mosport a few times in my Z4MC.

Car is a 2012 coupe with AMG performance package (which in Canada is P31 + LSD). I have the stock Yoyos. Tires held up well, brakes performed without much fade (better than M3 brakes, IMO), car did not feel as "crisp" as the M3, however it got the job done and was a lot of fun on the sweepers and fast corners. Is it me or does the stock suspension feel a bit "jumpy" to others? I.e. it compresses well, but rebounds too quickly. Will after market springs solve this or should I go full coilovers?

I did not have confidence in the stock tires so drove 6/10s all the way, although on Mosport in my Z4M (very confidence inspiring car) I probably never passed 8/10's and usually 7-7.5/10 max. To be honest, these tires worked as well (given they worked harder given weight to width) as the PS2's in my M3, perhaps they were less "greasy" after 5 -10 hot laps.

Temps ran up to 135 celsius hot and the car went into S+ once, otherwise it was OK, no limp mode. I am however planning on a vented hood and /or larger oil cooler.

The car did feel heavy to me initially, however once I got used to it, it was OK. It turns in very well and goes where you point it, I did well and was happy with the way I drove. It's almost as though the insane torque the car has made me better at modulating the throttle as I was afraid of spinning out (almost happenned).

All in all, the car did well. I want to get some R-Comps that are wider now and want to install some form of cooling solution, even though I did not hit limp. I think the M3 felt more "alive" initially, however once I got the feel of the C63, it ran well. I do think the suspension has more bounce, it could be my tire pressure partly as I did muck around with it a lot.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Very nice write-up, DiscoZ. Glad you had fun and started to get the hang of the car.

Do you think there may be some downside to running wider tires with the stock suspension and wheel width? I'm just asking because it sounds like you have some track experience.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Couple of comments...

First, better tires will make a real difference. Also, alignment... as much negative camber as you can get (I was running around -2.0) and you will also find the car responds better and you don't chew up tires.

Second, R-Comps might very well overwhelm your stock brakes and suspension... I would upgrade pads and suspension before moving to R-Comp tires. For me, an extreme performance tire (RE-11, RS3, Star Spec, AD-08) would be the better interim step if you don't plan to make suspension upgrades. That way, you get most of the performance and you don't need to change tires at the track (most R-Comps, although DOT legal, are not not recommended for highway driving and guys bring them to the track).

Last edited by gthal; 06-08-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 AM
seo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V8 6 Speed
Very nice, any GoPro videos by chance?

3900+ pounds is very heavy for the track, especially when it starts to slide
Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 AM

2012 C63 PP, 2012 X3
Sorry, no videos. Looking into a camera. gthal - I think you have a good point, I was thinking the R-Comps could overwhelm the stock suspension. Issue is, I don't want to lower the car any more than it is - although I realize I will likely add some sidewall with larger tires. Brakes I think worked well, and with new lines, fluid and pads should be sufficient unless I go nuts with power mods, which is highly unlikely as the car has enough for now.

I don't think wider tires will hurt the suspension, with the exception of a larger sidewall. Has anyone else found the stock suspension rebounds very quickly? Almost a bit jumpy? I need to do some more research...