misfiring.. "a know problem"???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Coupe
misfiring.. "a know problem"???

Hi all
been a member on here a while (sorry for not introducing myself earlier).

I live in the UK and have had my 63 coupe for about 2 months now (from new).
did the usual "run in" for 1000miles then just after that (first time driving hard, funny enough on the way to the dealership) on start up leaving the place, the engine was misfiring on idle (not too bad) after about a minute the CEL came up. fortunately i was outside my dealer where i bought the car so just switched off the engine left it for few mins then started back up and drove back in the dealership (no CEL or misfire). they plugged in the merc computer thing and it had thrown up a fault code on cylinder 1.
as it appeared to be all back to normal they reset the fault and asked me to keep an eye on it.
since then it has been perfect, no issues at all... until now.
upto about 1400m now and had been driving the car most of today. stopped at friends house, went out started and was running lumpy/misfiring but no CEL light. i cut engine and restarted, same issue.
left it for about 10mins then restarted. not problems at all and back to normal.
drove home (about 30mins) without any issues at all.
when the car was in the dealership the first-time with this issues (just after run in) they said there is a known problem and many owners had experienced the same thing a few times and on the merc internal network it states they are working on a fix (most likely software).
did some simple google check and there does appear to be other people with the same issues...
the car is going back in this week but just wondered if anyone had any comments or similar issues..??
any input would be very appreciated.
cheers
Ben

Last edited by B3NEJ; 06-24-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2012, 05:08 PM

2012 c 63 amg coupe edition 1
Yes that happened to me one month ago.
But my misfire was on all cylinders but one.first time i went in they changed one fuel injector and said the car was fine , when i went to pcik it up i had the cel light again and massive misfire.The second time on the dealer they replaced all fuel injectors and now the car is fine
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by B3NEJ
Hi all
been a member on here a while (sorry for not introducing myself earlier).

I live in the UK and have had my 63 coupe for about 2 months now (from new).
did the usual "run in" for 1000miles then just after that (first time driving hard, funny enough on the way to the dealership) on start up leaving the place, the engine was misfiring on idle (not too bad) after about a minute the CEL came up. fortunately i was outside my dealer where i bought the car so just switched off the engine left it for few mins then started back up and drove back in the dealership (no CEL or misfire). they plugged in the merc computer thing and it had thrown up a fault code on cylinder 1.
as it appeared to be all back to normal they reset the fault and asked me to keep an eye on it.
since then it has been perfect, no issues at all... until now.
upto about 1400m now and had been driving the car most of today. stopped at friends house, went out started and was running lumpy/misfiring but no CEL light. i cut engine and restarted, same issue.
left it for about 10mins then restarted. not problems at all and back to normal.
drove home (about 30mins) without any issues at all.
when the car was in the dealership the first-time with this issues (just after run in) they said there is a known problem and many owners had experienced the same thing a few times and on the merc internal network it states they are working on a fix (most likely software).
did some simple google check and there does appear to be other people with the same issues...
the car is going back in this week but just wondered if anyone had any comments or similar issues..??
any input would be very appreciated.
cheers
Ben
Check the plugs or have the dealer do it. Low miles and probably not the problem but you never know.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
With that many km, its the dealers problem.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 AM

C63 Coupe
thanks for the comments guys. car back in workshop tomorrow so will keep you posted.
It appears to be more common than i first thought and glad that MB as aware of the issues.

Last edited by B3NEJ; 06-25-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM

My brother and I both had this issue around the end of the break in period (around 1500-2000km) when we started to push the cars a bit harder. Would only happen on restartting the car after we had driven the car a bith harder. Happened a couple of times to both of us, but nothing since then.

thanks for the comments guys. car back in workshop tomorrow so will keep you posted.
It appears to be more common than i first thought and glad that MB as aware of the issues.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by bobbyzcar
My brother and I both had this issue around the end of the break in period (around 1500-2000km) when we started to push the cars a bit harder. Would only happen on restartting the car after we had driven the car a bith harder. Happened a couple of times to both of us, but nothing since then.
sounds the same problem... just out of curiosity, did you take your car back to the dealer/workshop? if so what did they say?
thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 AM

My brother took his in and they just reset a sensor or something. not sure exactly, but we are both well over 6000km and has not happened to either of us since around 2000km. I suspect it was the computer adjusting to our new driving style after break in and dumping more fuel or something and maybe fouled a plug or something, but it cleaned itself out.

sounds the same problem... just out of curiosity, did you take your car back to the dealer/workshop? if so what did they say?
thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 AM

C63 Coupe
Update.... After the dealer had uploaded all my cars info to the AMG engineers in Germany. they have finally come back with a "fix", saying they want to replace the coil packs.... apparently they are getting a lot of complaints from other customers about this issue.
Apparently this is a quick fix. Just thought i would share this with everyone.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM

2013 C63 P31
Misfire on'13 C63 P31

I've had the car for three weeks and have approximately 1200 miles on the clock. Took it easy during first 1000 as per break in, then drove it with heart for the last couple hundred miles.

This morning, drove to work then left for a client visit a few hours later. Driving along the highway feeder doing about 45 MPH. CEL lights up and car begins misfiring badly. Pulled into parking lot, let the car sit for about 10 mins. Fired it up again - still misfiring badly.

Called roadside assistance and had the car trucked over to nearest dealer. Grabbed a loaner, carried on with my day, and waited for a call.

The service advisor called at 5 pm and said I was good to go. Called it a "random" misfire, but said they'd had a few other cases. When I pressed for more detail, she said it was nothing major and shouldn't happen again.

Now reading these really informative posts, I'm thinking about calling the dealer and pressing the issue to see if they will proactively pursue the coil pack fix. I feel a little disappointed that the service dept at a high volume dealer in a city like Houston wasn't very well-versed on this, but....oh well.

I drive back and forth between Houston and San Antonio on the weekends, and it would be a drag if this happened out in the sticks.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 PM

1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe
Maybe you could convince MB that they need to buy us all Weistec catch cans while theyre at it...
Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63S
Hello, I'd like to share my experience with everyone as well. On my new 2019 c63s after 1000 mile break in and wanted to try the sports plus mode. 80 miles later the car started misfiring. I've never kick down the car in this period. Took it to the dealer, they said they changed the spark plug and ignition coil. Now I'm omw to the dealer to pick up the car. And I'll be going on a 5 hr trip to another city. Because their loan doesn't allow me to travel outside of the city that was registered and I would have to pay 100 bucks a day if I don't return the loan within 24hrs of my car being ready for pick up. Finger cross hope I won't get strained.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by seek3n
Hello, I'd like to share my experience with everyone as well. On my new 2019 c63s after 1000 mile break in and wanted to try the sports plus mode. 80 miles later the car started misfiring. I've never kick down the car in this period. Took it to the dealer, they said they changed the spark plug and ignition coil. Now I'm omw to the dealer to pick up the car. And I'll be going on a 5 hr trip to another city. Because their loan doesn't allow me to travel outside of the city that was registered and I would have to pay 100 bucks a day if I don't return the loan within 24hrs of my car being ready for pick up. Finger cross hope I won't get strained.
Just an FYI this is the W204 C63 section, you're looking for the W205 section