C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Curb checked => damaged suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Curb checked => damaged suspension?

Hey all, first time posting. I bought a new p30 white 2012 c63 amg about 6weeks ago. Love the car, best money I've ever spent, I'm excited to drive everytime I step in the car. I love the personality of this car too, nimble tight suspension with smooth power.

So I know the car has upgraded suspension. My question is could I have damaged the suspension or alignment from curb checking and driving my left rear tire up on to the curb while backing up?

It was a one of those situations, where I was hurrying and dropping somethin off at the bank. There were a bunch of parking spots in front of the entrance, and the door was at the corner of the U-shaped parking lot. So the spots were along an L, and there is a big Ford F-350 parked in the corner of the L, infront of the bank directly on the corner infront of the door. Dude is taking up two lanes, so I decided to go right and park in the sport right behind him kitty-corner to his right. When I parked, I didnt like the spot cause I kept thinking the F-350 was going to back up and sideswipe my cars backside. So I threw it in reverse, came out of the spot, turned the wheel right so I could park next to the F-350 (but 1 spot over cause he was taking up a good 2 spots), and my back left tire curb checked the middle-median. I wasnt going fast but it was fast enough to pop the tire up on top of the curb, when I felt back go up I threw it in drive and pulled into the space. Not very cool lol.

The rim had a tiny scrape, and the tire next to it had a 2in rip in the rubber. So the rubber was comin off the tire a bit, like a tag on shirt, I think it is still good, pressure looks good.

I wouldn't even have thought twice about it if it was a C300 or an E350. But since it is an AMG, could I have effected the suspension, transmission, or alignment? Granted it was at parking lot speeds.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
I would be shocked if you damaged the suspension at that speed. Possibly the alignment but, again, I suspect its fine. I would replace the tire though if there is a 2" rip in the rubber even if it is holding pressure. I did something similar and needed to replace the tire. On a high performance car with this much power, the tires undergo a lot a stress and they need to be in good shape for safety IMO.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
take some pictures of the damages.

if you climbed the curb at a very low n slow speed I don't think you damaged the suspension or alignment.
however if you felt a harsh bump hitting the curb in a moderate speed something might go wrong and misalign?
might be good having the tire checked or swapped to a new tire.

curbs have sharp edges ripping tires or giving curbrash to aluminium rims, doesn't look any good after it's being damaged.
I hate parallel parking in between 2 cars, I always fold my right outside mirror down to the ground so I can see how I parallel park, until now I haven't damaged my brabus rims yet, phew!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 07-06-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Check those two controlling rods toward the anterior of the suspension. They are straight but somewhat "S" in shape. They are the part of the suspension most likely to snap from what I have read. Obviously those two rods prevent excess toe-in during hard acceleration.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
as others have said, from your story, you should be fine.