C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Pricey "point of sale" warranty disco

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 500SL-2002 C230 Coupe-2012 c250 Sedan SOLD-2012 C63 Coupe
Pricey "point of sale" warranty disco

Just bought a 2012 C63 coupe and when going to finance added the following which I wanted opinions on to see if I should seek a refund...

Extended warranty out to 100k was just under 6k ouch!

Wheel and tire protection was 2,650 or 2,59X and I dont remember if it extends all the way to 50k original or 100k extended warranty.

Pre-paid maintenance to 30k miles for just under 1,500. I usually do my own maintenance and just take it in to the dealer for general check ups every once in a while or when getting something flushed etc.

So I added like 10k to the price of the damn car. Seemed possibly reasonable due to expense of things like tranny and getting scuffs on wheels fixed when wife spaz's out.

Just seeking opinions on these pricey "factory" warranties.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
You don't need any of that..just give me your checkbook.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I think you could've found 3rd party extended warranties for a fraction of that. Wheel and tire is split on this forum, but I think most folks consider it a gimmick. However, there are a few who swear by it because of some unfortunate incidences. Pre-paid maintenance for 30k miles should really only be 3 services. At an independent shop, it's probably around $300 each.

If you were to do research on your own, I think you could've gotten the extended warranty and services for less than $5k, maybe even $4k.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by flomofo
Just bought a 2012 C63 coupe and when going to finance added the following which I wanted opinions on to see if I should seek a refund...

Extended warranty out to 100k was just under 6k ouch!

Wheel and tire protection was 2,650 or 2,59X and I dont remember if it extends all the way to 50k original or 100k extended warranty.

Pre-paid maintenance to 30k miles for just under 1,500. I usually do my own maintenance and just take it in to the dealer for general check ups every once in a while or when getting something flushed etc.

So I added like 10k to the price of the damn car. Seemed possibly reasonable due to expense of things like tranny and getting scuffs on wheels fixed when wife spaz's out.

Just seeking opinions on these pricey "factory" warranties.
Congrats on the car.

I think the MB extended warranty is worth it, especially since you can cancel for a full refund while still under original warranty and prorated minus claims afterwards ... at least that is how mine was written (in VA). Buying it now locks in the price ... they are not going to get any cheaper. You may want to call around to check pricing though, I only paid $5k for the 3yr/50k on a 2010 a few months ago.

As far as MB vs 3rd party warranty -- personally, I would rather pay a premium for the MB warranty to avoid all potential hassle when claim time comes - I have never had much luck finding a 3rd party warranty company that had consistently great reviews.

I decided not to buy the wheel/tire protection ... just seemed expensive for my risk of having a claim.

Maintenance package is probably a wash or maybe a little high compared to what I paid in the first 30k miles on my 2010.

Last edited by 315ER; 07-18-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
keep the MB warranty. can refund the rest.

no matter what 3rd party insurers claim, they will never be as complete nor efficient as MB's own warranty program. Many of our members buy 3rd party because their cars dont qualify for MB's
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
EkS

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C63
Are you planning on keeping the car for over 5 years?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Yes keeping the car hopefully for as long as the engine lasts.

Will pick up about 14k to 16k a year and am hoping motor will last to about 150k or higher.

I added everything because the family dealer I got it from offered 3% financing at 72 months when I was originally looking at 60 months.

So I can basically pay more money into the car when I want to, around home improvements we want to make to our new home as well.

I usually dont get anything, although the wife does have a tendency to scrub tires and since we are keeping it until whenever the car fails, I think I might have my decision.

I will probably just get rid of the pre-paid maintenance and decide on the rest later as people write in on whether these extra warranties are useful or not.

And as far as the price, the factory one doesnt seem to get cheaper just more expensive and they are willing to deal on the 3rd party stuff but wont even talk about taking a few hundred off on the factory stuff anymore.

And it is more pricey, we were looking at a 2011 with PP and it was cheaper by at least 1k to 2k I believe.

I'm trying to look up Service C costs and any special services this thing needs that cost more but my internet is sloowwww right now.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM

I feel I overpaid by a lot, so a rival dealer is going to look into what I should have actually paid since I've bought from them before and I might consider cancelling everything if the first dealer took me for a ride...just out of spite.

So as of now, I only plan on keeping the warranty unless I overpaid by a grand or something.

The wheel and tire seems nice as I think the guy said they would replace wheels blah blah blah but then read here they only do that if the tire cant reseat on the rim. Screw that.

I can only compare what I paid to others in the same region or at least state with the same year vehicle that was bought as a new vehicle.

If anybody can share those numbers I'd appreciate it, although I also appreciate others comments that have already been made.

Plus Ill be taking like 10 grand off the price of the car, so thats nice I guess.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
It's all about the fine print.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Is it true that there is 100% markup on the Extended Warranty from MBusa?

(not CPO)

O
I feel I overpaid by a lot, so a rival dealer is going to look into what I should have actually paid since I've bought from them before and I might consider cancelling everything if the first dealer took me for a ride...just out of spite.

So as of now, I only plan on keeping the warranty unless I overpaid by a grand or something.

The wheel and tire seems nice as I think the guy said they would replace wheels blah blah blah but then read here they only do that if the tire cant reseat on the rim. Screw that.

I can only compare what I paid to others in the same region or at least state with the same year vehicle that was bought as a new vehicle.

If anybody can share those numbers I'd appreciate it, although I also appreciate others comments that have already been made.

Plus Ill be taking like 10 grand off the price of the car, so thats nice I guess.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 PM

2012 C63, '07 Acura MDX

I bought mine from Fairfield in June, and I extended the warranty to 7 years, 75k miles for $3299. They had the 7 year/100k warranty as well, but I don't remember what they offered it for since I won't hit 100k miles any time soon.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM

Well it is pure profit if you never make a claim, but they seem to get more and more expensive and quickly.

I was told that the paperwork for all three things I added on was sent off and I would have to request to cancel them approximately two months later at the earliest.

Even for the 1500 charged to my credit card together with my downpayment.

Sucks because I'm going to pay off my credit card to not get charged interest after I get credit for my points, so its like 1500 bucks is on lock down that I would rather use towards a clear bra or some other "fun" stuff.

Having to wait two months, maybe more people will post what they are paying for these two main warranties on new cars.

I can pay for all of it, but I dont want to be overpaying by a lot.

Also people need to post location, mileage, model year, and price etc. on used ones to even get close to useful comparisons for warranty prices.

Maybe I can deny part of the charges to my card...
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 AM

Got my copies of the paperwork today.

Extended Warranty was $5,995 for 7 years and 100k miles

First Class Appearance For Wheels and Tires was $2,595 for 60 months

Prepaid maintenance for 30k miles was $1,495.

Still don't understand why I need to wait two months to cancel the prepaid or anything else, but it is what it is.

Thinking about denying or disputing the charge to my card for the prepaid maintenance.

Was going to keep the warranty even though its over priced by about $600 bucks over what RAB motors quoted me over the phone too.

But am now still debating the wheel and tire thing even though my trusty service advisor at my regular dealer recommended getting rid of prepaid maintenance and probably the wheel and tire coverage too.

Only recommended I keep the ext warranty or if thats too overpriced then get rid of it too and try a 3rd party vendor they utilize without issues there.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
when it comes to add-ons like these, model year, mileage isn't as important.

MB categorizes its warranties under car models. As a C63 AMG your ELW is the same as the next guys C63 AMG regardless of what city you are in. However, the difference is the actual dealer as some members reported that they got a discount.

Like I said before, although the ELW is expensive, it is better than 3rd party and warranties are like insurances... if you never use it in your 7 years of ownership, you might feel like you are out the $$ but in reality you had peace of mind. I recently got my car back from the dealership after 3 trips there over 2 months. It was in the shop for a total of 2.5 weeks. They fixed rattling noises, antenna issues with my keyless go, repainted parts of the car and much more. I walked out of this transaction having 4 loaners to try and 0 dollars out of pocket. The costs if I didnt have warranty would've been way more than what you're paying for these add-ons. Plus, dont forget, MB at the dealership level is not MBUSA. They are separate companies. All warranty work paid for is by MBUSA. The dealers charge MBUSA for parts and labour.

As for wheels and tires protection. 2.6k can buy you a new set of wheels like forgestar. Unless you live in a pothole filled area, go that route if you are spending the money.

The stuff you are worried about now will soon be water under the bridge. Regardless of what you ultimately choose, enjoy the C63. Have you picked it up yet?

Got my copies of the paperwork today.

Extended Warranty was $5,995 for 7 years and 100k miles

First Class Appearance For Wheels and Tires was $2,595 for 60 months

Prepaid maintenance for 30k miles was $1,495.

Still don't understand why I need to wait two months to cancel the prepaid or anything else, but it is what it is.

Thinking about denying or disputing the charge to my card for the prepaid maintenance.

Was going to keep the warranty even though its over priced by about $600 bucks over what RAB motors quoted me over the phone too.

But am now still debating the wheel and tire thing even though my trusty service advisor at my regular dealer recommended getting rid of prepaid maintenance and probably the wheel and tire coverage too.

Only recommended I keep the ext warranty or if thats too overpriced then get rid of it too and try a 3rd party vendor they utilize without issues there.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Did the dealer tell you they were going to add these "extras"? If they just did it, I would be so bothered I would have cancelled the order or not taken the car. The dealer always offers these things and I then pick/choose what I want but if they just added it on, I would be pissed!!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 PM

I was talked into getting everything know and then having the option to cancel whenever I wanted.

I was told the ext warranty would take up to 12 weeks to cancel but the pre paid I thought I could cancel anytime as I really didn't think I was going to keep it.

We found a car we liked exactly as ordered by someone else that was in the showroom so we already have the car and for the first time we both have a car we love.

So the car is fine, just upset I overpaid for the warranty by about 500 to 600 bucks. Over 100k and 7years Im thinking I won't care though.

As for the wheels we like the stock 18's because they match the body color and brake calipers without being monotone so they are staying.

I would like to keep this thread alive to see what other new owners pay over time. I got pretty decent money for my c250 trade in and about 7% off the new car so I didn't get completely taken advantage of.

I guess I just need to find a clear bra place as soon as possible, thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 PM

2012 C63, '07 Acura MDX
Give Auto Image in Belmont a call. I'm getting my windows tinted from them right now. Good reviews on yelp and they work on a lot of high end cars.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Just wanted to chime in, even though my C63 is a CPO. I paid 4395 for the 135K/2 year extended warranty and 1695 for tire and wheel protection. i know i could have gotten the extended warranty for about 4k, maybe even less.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
just keep the extended warranty . im going to purchase it when i get near 40k or just trade my car in.