I drove a Wrangler...and I liked it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
I drove a Wrangler...and I liked it.

I had the opportunity to use it for a bit and lo and behold, I grew attached to it. It was the 2012 model with the 3.8 V6 petrol and 4 speed auto. So I can only imagine what the newer 2012 with the 3.6 V6 and 5 speed is like.

i liked the upright windscreen, the go anywhere ability, the funky looks, the live axles that keep you honest...etc.

They really improved the interior too. The steering wheel is nice, it has two airbags, a CD-changer, remote central locking, electric windows all round, Electronic stability program, ABS, soft touch 3-flash indicator function, auto headlights, tire pressure monitoring system that uses ESP, Fuel distance till empty indicator, A/C, Decoupling front sway bar and front and rear diff locks, etc. I was surprised as the last time I really looked at a wrangler, they were really basic. This type of evolution reminds me of the G-class.

It is now sold so I'm getting something else to fill the gap but I just might go back to the newer 3.6litre version at some point in the future.

It's weird that from a C63, I found the Wrangler enjoyable despite its unique quirks such as the requirement of having mastered P90X just to enter the car every time.

However, I must say that after driving the Wrangler for about 2 months, the C63 was like the Star ship Enterprise engaging warp drive, every time I drive it. It feels sooo fast!

As they say, pics or it didn't happen:

Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
My wife has a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo X with the V6. I was pleasantly surprised at the zippyness of it, and it is actually fun to drive (especially when we go camping.. it is a very capable vehicle) It is currently the only American vehicle that we have ever owned. The bright side is that the GC is based on the MB ML platform, which might account for its smoother, refined ride while still remaining offroad capable... (I sound like that dude from Motor Trend don't I... heh.. )
Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Im with you. 2 cars that really surprised me:

1) Wrangler - go anywhere, throttle response is reasonable, interior amenities are pretty good - checked out a loaded one a few months back with navi, bluetooth, etc. 4drs with tons of room. I have been driving one for the last week across tough terrain in Maui and loved it - top down, enjoying the outdoors!

2) GMC Terrain - same deal...impressive technology, comfortable ride, picks up well, great interior/exterior styling...really surprising.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
i am waiting on the 2013 Ford Explorer Sport to come out . i'm trading in the GLK for it
Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I was looking at one recently too. The new pentastar with a 6-speed manual in the Rubicon is hard to beat. After thinking it through I realized that I would never use the capabilities so I went with more of a road car for my daily.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
i am waiting on the 2013 Ford Explorer Sport to come out . i'm trading in the GLK for it
Please tell me you are joking...

The Explorer is no longer based on a truck platform, rather it shares the underlying platform of the ford Taurus......
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Please tell me you are joking...

The Explorer is no longer based on a truck platform, rather it shares the underlying platform of the ford Taurus......
i guess it's considered more of a crossover than an SUV now . well my GLK is too damn small now that i have my little guy . the room in the rear storage compartment is good enough for a stroller and that's about it , unless it's a bunch of smaller items . it's not a road trip kind of vehicle . the rear seats can't fit 2 people with the car seat installed . the leg room is definately not that great unless you drive like a 90 year old woman about 6" from the steering wheel . with all that said , my company gets a fleet rate from Ford for all the business we have done over the years so that's the reason behind my choice . i don't haul any trailers or anything like that and i don't hit the desert for some offroading
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We had the same issue with the EX35. We traded her 7 month old 2011 model in November last year for the grand Cherokee. It fits our 11 week old, accompanying crap, our great Dane and Dalmatian without a problem
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Ford is definitely taking their styling cues from LR - notice how similar the front end of the new explorer is to RR/Evoque? I like it

Good feedback regarding kids/dogs, need to take that into account it seems. So many folks get a "compact suv" then have a kid and say wait a sec....not big enough for one kid never mind 2 or more! I'll need to go check out the Rubicon with 6spd, that's awesome.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
My wife has a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo X with the V6. I was pleasantly surprised at the zippyness of it, and it is actually fun to drive (especially when we go camping.. it is a very capable vehicle) It is currently the only American vehicle that we have ever owned. The bright side is that the GC is based on the MB ML platform, which might account for its smoother, refined ride while still remaining offroad capable... (I sound like that dude from Motor Trend don't I... heh.. )
Maybe you are the guy from Motor Trend I might also try a Grand Cherokee at some point too. Test drove one and was impressed. But for now another one has my attention...

Originally Posted by rory breaker

1) Wrangler - go anywhere, throttle response is reasonable, interior amenities are pretty good - checked out a loaded one a few months back with navi, bluetooth, etc. 4drs with tons of room. I have been driving one for the last week across tough terrain in Maui and loved it - top down, enjoying the outdoors!

2) GMC Terrain - same deal...impressive technology, comfortable ride, picks up well, great interior/exterior styling...really surprising.
I didn't even get a chance to drive it with the top down. I guess I'll make itn a point if I get the rubicon unlimited 3.6 later on. I did take it off road though and enjoyed it!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Segway
I bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited with/Hemi last week and it's awesome. New design inside and out is very nice. Kind of a mix between luxury SUV and off road vehicle.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

We enjoyed an '85 Ford Bronco for a couple of years...351 Cleveland V8, C6 Auto, 9" etc....quite a tough vehicle,....sounded pretty good too, after we fitted dual exhausts.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM

2012 C63 Black Series
I wanna get a Ford F-150 raptor.
fun stuff
Old 07-19-2012, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rufferto
I wanna get a Ford F-150 raptor.
fun stuff
One of the few cars that gets worse gas mileage then ours

Although hauling *** at full throttle off road is awesome I want one too...
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
I've been considering a wrangler for some time now, especially, with the new updates.

The only thing I think I will miss is the driving on rails feeling I get in a Mercedes.

How would you rate the wrangler at highway speeds?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
I've been considering a wrangler for some time now, especially, with the new updates.

The only thing I think I will miss is the driving on rails feeling I get in a Mercedes.

How would you rate the wrangler at highway speeds?
On smooth roads it seems planted but on bumpy roads and at high speed that rear axle is ALIVE!!!

So keep the speed below 60mph on a bumpy/uneven highway and it feels solid enough but go much faster and you will feel the skips. To be honest this car is more about driving on bad terrain (or just cruising in and around the city thanks to the super driving position and view). If you only do highway mileage, I don't know if you will really enjoy it. When I drove it, it made me seek out bad roads to maximize my fun!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Originally Posted by GMW
On smooth roads it seems planted but on bumpy roads and at high speed that rear axle is ALIVE!!!

So keep the speed below 60mph on a bumpy/uneven highway and it feels solid enough but go much faster and you will feel the skips. To be honest this car is more about driving on bad terrain (or just cruising in and around the city thanks to the super driving position and view). If you only do highway mileage, I don't know if you will really enjoy it. When I drove it, it made me seek out bad roads to maximize my fun!
Ditto. Definitely better cruising around locally than extended highway trips. On the highway I would miss the zip, smoothness, and linearity of the C.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM

As I expected. But the latest addition to our family calls for a car that can actually fit her kennel in the car.

Penny the Vizsla.

Decisions decisions...
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
No death wobble yet? Was all over our news a few months ago. Looks like there is at least an aftermarket fix for it, but Chrysler refuses to acknowledge it as a problem.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cute little doggie.. my doggie thinks your doggie looks like a nice treat

A little perspective to as to his size.. he is currently 175ish pounds and sits like a person

ps.. yes I use every opportunity to post pics of my doggies

Originally Posted by dcjwlee
As I expected. But the latest addition to our family calls for a car that can actually fit her kennel in the car.

Penny the Vizsla.

Decisions decisions...
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM

LOL that picture where he is on the couch is priceless. That is one big dog.

Penny will only grow to be about 65 lbs. Maybe 80 if she's a freak.

Originally Posted by b16
No death wobble yet? Was all over our news a few months ago. Looks like there is at least an aftermarket fix for it, but Chrysler refuses to acknowledge it as a problem.
Holy smokes...

Last edited by dcjwlee; 07-20-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Here is my replacement:

Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM

I think I've found my replacement.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/index/0,,...tSource=topnav

Since MB doesn't offer a C class wagon in the states... and the driving dynamics of a full on SUV just won't cut it for me.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rory breaker

My wife drives a 2011 GMC Terrain and we really like it. Good size, gas mileage, and extremely comfortable. Great all around vehicle for the money.