C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

"Rattles"...2012 C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question "Rattles"...2012 C63?

I love our 2012 C63...had it around 6 months, done around 9Ks...don't regret buying it one little bit...ALWAYS look forward to driving it.....if I can keep Wifey out of the driver's seat!
But the "rattles" in the dash area do not impress me. They're not that bad, but on certain types (coarse)of road surfaces, the "rattle"/"vibration"/"buzzing" noise, from the dash,A/C vent area is a little bit annoying, and, IMHO, should not be there, particularly in a car of this calibre.
There have been a few owners who have had similar issues to mine....ie...noises in the dash area. So, have you had 'em rectified, & if so..how....and if not, are ya just going to put up with them, rather than having your dash pulled apart in an "exploration" exercise, the end result being more "rattles" than what you started with?
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Yeh I have some noises you would not expect in a 190k car. I just put up with it for now as I can't really pin-point the location of where it is coming from. If I take it to a dealer they will probably just say that it is normal or acceptable levels of rattling from a car. Just use the loud pedal to drown it out
Old 08-05-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
I'd give the dealer a chance to have a listen and see what they think, THEN discuss the possible remedy and what is involved. I think you might find that it is a relatively simple fix - a bit of padded tape here and there - and not the hatchet job you think it might be
Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
The only rattle that really bothers me is the one from the comand screen when it is in the up position, so I usually leave it down. I suppose I could have the dealer check it out, but i always figured they wouldnt do anything.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Couple of threads on this already, but I have two rattles, one improved and one got worse.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Yep... MB sucks at interior build quality. I real let down in my opinion. Sunroof, centre console, B pillar now, seats... all make noise. I am trying to learn to ignore it. Like you, I love the car but do NOT like how rattle filled the cabin is. It may make me second guess another MB for the next car as it seems fairly wide spread... especially with the 2012 facelift cars. I understand that any car will rattle (and some lucky people won't have this or are less sensitive to it) but this car is worse than any I have owned in the last 8 years (2 M3's, 2 G37 coupes, Jetta GLI, Hyundai Veracruz and Toyota Highlander).
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Originally Posted by gthal
Yep... MB sucks at interior build quality. I real let down in my opinion. Sunroof, centre console, B pillar now, seats... all make noise. I am trying to learn to ignore it. Like you, I love the car but do NOT like how rattle filled the cabin is. It may make me second guess another MB for the next car as it seems fairly wide spread... especially with the 2012 facelift cars. I understand that any car will rattle (and some lucky people won't have this or are less sensitive to it) but this car is worse than any I have owned in the last 8 years (2 M3's, 2 G37 coupes, Jetta GLI, Hyundai Veracruz and Toyota Highlander).
mb should know how to build interiors looks at the old w124's the 201/202 and the 203 c55 amg they don't rattle, suspension might have something to do with it, my dads 204 c280 doesn't rattle I hate rattles in an interior my old c36 doens't even do this.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
the rattles is your car's way to communicate with you. The C63 just wants to know you better and bond just as much as you do.

however, if you want to shut it up, a trip to the dealer will suffice
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by Pickles
I love our 2012 C63...had it around 6 months, done around 9Ks...don't regret buying it one little bit...ALWAYS look forward to driving it.....if I can keep Wifey out of the driver's seat!
But the "rattles" in the dash area do not impress me. They're not that bad, but on certain types (coarse)of road surfaces, the "rattle"/"vibration"/"buzzing" noise, from the dash,A/C vent area is a little bit annoying, and, IMHO, should not be there, particularly in a car of this calibre.
There have been a few owners who have had similar issues to mine....ie...noises in the dash area. So, have you had 'em rectified, & if so..how....and if not, are ya just going to put up with them, rather than having your dash pulled apart in an "exploration" exercise, the end result being more "rattles" than what you started with?
Cheers, Pickles.
im having the exact same issues.

you're right it shouldn't be happening. and it happens to even higher end mb's. my 2012 cls63 has been rattling since i got it.

first a rattling sound from the front axle. dealer cant figure out what it is, first replaced an engine cooler cover(which was never installed at the factory, WTF?), which of course wasn't the issue. now parts for the steering rack are on order. and then, to the shop again the car must go, after a month or so of ownership.

complete bs. on a brand new car that i should just be enjoying.

on mine, its those little silver rings that frame the instrument guages. after a bump one day they just started vibrating and rattling.

putting my hands on it stops the rattling.

even the door locks are now rattling.

Last edited by mainly; 08-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Fung63
the rattles is your car's way to communicate with you. The C63 just wants to know you better and bond just as much as you do.

however, if you want to shut it up, a trip to the dealer will suffice
Not always

If it were that simple it wouldn't be an issue. My dealer is very responsive to these issues but being able to reproduce, find and permanently fix these things is easier said then done.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I have some anoying rattles in the dash/center screen area as well as door trim. It bothered me a lot the firts year but I learned to live with them... it's still a C class. they sell these things for 25-30 k so they have to cut corners somewhere. I drove an E class as a loaner and it was inpeccable.

I call my C63 "rattlesnake"!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
The only rattle that really bothers me is the one from the comand screen when it is in the up position, so I usually leave it down. I suppose I could have the dealer check it out, but i always figured they wouldnt do anything.
Now that you have reminded me I get this one as well. More of a resonance than a rattle?? ie worse on coarse roads, nothing at all on smooth motorway. Seems worse in the cooler weather. I THINK it is better if you use the button at the base to change the viewing angle - cant remember which it is, one closes the whole thing, the other changes the angle of the screen.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by kart125
I have some anoying rattles in the dash/center screen area as well as door trim. It bothered me a lot the firts year but I learned to live with them... it's still a C class. they sell these things for 25-30 k so they have to cut corners somewhere. I drove an E class as a loaner and it was inpeccable.

I wouldn't make excuses for MB. The M3 is still just a 3 series and is solid. My wife' Highlander and previous Veracruz (Hyundai) were rock solid. You don't need to go to a high end model to avoid squeaks and rattles except if you buy a MB. Lots of inexpensive cars that are not rattle traps. I'm probably making this more negative than it really is because they are REALLY bugging me at the moment.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM

C63
Once I had a window rattle in my new BMW 3 series and it annoyed the hell out of me. Each time I took the car back to the dealer they claim they have fixed it - "we secured some loose trim" or "we tightened some screws" etc but the rattle never went away. Then one day after heavy rain my footwell next to the window concerned flooded severely. Back to the dealer and again claimed they fixed it. However, leak still there and rattle still there. In the end I made a complaint to headquarters and they brought in a master technician who found the cause of the leak was failure to reinstall a "membrane" to waterproof the door after it was taken apart to look for the cause of the rattle. So eventually the leak was rectified and yes, you guess right, the rattle was never fixed and some lucky dude who bought my car is probably still trying to fix it. End of story!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I'm with you on the rattle part... not trying to make excuses for MB since like you said hyundais are rock solid these days... just trying to make the pill easier to swallow!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 PM

bmw e-60 550i,bmw e-92 m3, c63coupe p31, stable of Italian stallions MV's
I've owned e--92 m3 solid...I've owned many sport cars myself, I'm ticked off too. The rearwindow or speakers and the wistling from the windows,, god I can't spell, really mad about 84k amg. I drive it's ok radio and I like the sound of the exhaust, but with kids and wife they complain. Anyone find a fix? Where to look?
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by kart125

I'm driving a MY2010 E class now. it rattles louder than my C63. the sound comes from the nav screen area and it drives me nuts lol...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Fung63
I'm driving a MY2010 E class now. it rattles louder than my C63. the sound comes from the nav screen area and it drives me nuts lol...
This is really sad... it isn't that hard to build a car that doesn't do this. Many other cars/manufacturers have proven this. I don't know if MB doesn't care because people will buy them for the badge or if they really just can't get it right? Makes an IS-F a little more appealing... well, maybe not enough to buy but more appealing
Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by JimmyR
Now that you have reminded me I get this one as well. More of a resonance than a rattle?? ie worse on coarse roads, nothing at all on smooth motorway. Seems worse in the cooler weather. I THINK it is better if you use the button at the base to change the viewing angle - cant remember which it is, one closes the whole thing, the other changes the angle of the screen.
yup, thanks, that did the trick. i had a rattly sunroof on my old C43 when it was in the popped-up position, and a slight touch on the down button helped that as well. thanks for the reminder!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Banned

bmw
The only rattle that really bothers me is the one from the comand screen when it is in the up position
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S
Originally Posted by ffordstim
The only rattle that really bothers me is the one from the comand screen when it is in the up position
I had a 2010 C63 that did the exact same thing... when you tap on the corner of the nav lid (while open) does it make the same sound? i solved it by gluing a small piece of foam on the underside, front, so when it sat on the dash it would be more snug.

Now on to the 2012 sedan... just picked it up a week ago (official post and pics coming, i promise) and behold mine rattled in the command/stereo area too... ive localized it to being the silver row of buttons right under the stereo (parktronic, esp, sunshade, etc) that are actually rattling in thier housing. When i hold them in place, no more rattles. Ugh... like how the hell do i fix THAT!?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:22 AM

holy ****!!

every bit of this is unacceptable.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pray23
nice job!

Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 GLC63, 2020 M2 Comp, 96 Miata M Edition & 19 Forester
I got mine through the dealer and had two areas of rattles one by the glove compartment and the other around the instrument panel. The noise by the glove compartment was totally gone which was the most annoying since it occurs even at low speed and smooth roads. The one by the instrument panel is still there but only occurs on rough terrain or sudden bumps such when we went through rough road construction. I will have it address again only when I have to go for service. Hopefully a TSB will be generated since it appears to be affecting most face lifted models.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM

'09 CC, '12 C63C
Thumbs down

My driver's seat is squeaky as hell like a grandfather's chair. Any body movement including twisting, leaning back or sideways, the seat squeaks!

Car's going in for inspection/repair this Saturday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Rattles"...2012 C63?