C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Possibility of adding an option after order placed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Audi RS4
Possibility of adding an option after order placed?

Hey guys,

Question for anyone with experience on this or for sales people on the forum.

I ordered a C63 it is scheduled to go into final production at the end of September.

I had a change of heart and want to add an option package to the order. Dealer says no but was hoping someone can verify. It doesn't look like they contacted MB; they are just going with the fact the order bank is locked.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I think your dealership is being lazy, you should be able to add/change an option if your built date in end of September.. unless you ordered a Black Series (?).

I would suggest you to look for another dealership, but your kind of dealership is probably the one who will not give you your refund w/o giving you a hard time. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by Roswell
I think your dealership is being lazy, you should be able to add/change an option if your built date in end of September.. unless you ordered a Black Series (?).

I would suggest you to look for another dealership, but your kind of dealership is probably the one who will not give you your refund w/o giving you a hard time. Good luck!
Agreed. GM of my dealer intercepted an allocation a month before the build date and I was able to customize the order to my specifications. Pretty much changed everything - color, options, etc. Late December, build date was late January, car was in my hands on valentines day.

These dealers are unbelievable, it's crazy to see such variance in quality of service. I would go talk to another dealer, bring the deal you currently have and the car you want, tell them if they can beat the deal and deliver in the same timeframe the deal is all theirs. A-holes.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Depending on the assembly line, it could be late. You have to take into account the extra parts for engine etc. Depends on option. Sometimes it will push build date, but it would be worth it. After ordering mine I wanted to change color to that crystal blue. Dealership said it would cost an arm and leg(8k if I remember) and add a month since the color is reserved for their more premium vehicles. I retracted the change and couldnt be happier. Wife prefers the red over the blue.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
if its not in production it should be ok.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by Fung63
if its not in production it should be ok.
There is a cutoff though as I understand it...ie 3 weeks before production or something of that nature. Reason being, MB orders a certain number of parts and components based upon the orders coming in, and they forecast appropriately based upon those orders for the next production cycle (ie no ones ordering the perf pkg, cut down parts for next time). If they allow people to change their order beyond the "close date" that messes with their supply. More importantly, they don't have a mechanism for someone to go in and change orders after they have been sent to production. So it's a one off process if it happens, and as we all know one off processes cost time and money and are avoided at all costs.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM

2010 C63
Agree with Rory - I would not assume the dealer is jerking your chain.

It depends on what you want changed. When I was spec'ing my car, my sales person let me sit with her at the terminal and see how different options changed the estimated build dates. Certain options like P30 had to be ordered far in advance. Other options were only available at certain times (when I was looking at it, carbon interior could only be ordered on cars built in the last 3rd of each month, due to supply constraints). Between all the colors, interiors, options, etc. there are probably millions of different combinations available for order, and it is not necessarily a trivial thing to try to change it once it is in the queue.

However, unless you ordered something strange, your dealer (assuming it is decent size)might offer to take your car and let you shift your order to the next available slot. It might add several months to your wait, though.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Porsche 911
Originally Posted by papayars4
Hey guys,

Question for anyone with experience on this or for sales people on the forum.

I ordered a C63 it is scheduled to go into final production at the end of September.

I had a change of heart and want to add an option package to the order. Dealer says no but was hoping someone can verify. It doesn't look like they contacted MB; they are just going with the fact the order bank is locked.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Simple solution: Go to another dealer (or a few others) and tell them your situation and ask them if they would be able to make that change without pushing back your production date.

If they say, "yes", then if they have an open allocation, tell them if they can match (or beat) your current deal, they have your business.

End of story.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
There is definitely a cut off - it's clearly displayed in NetStar, but there are a few options that can be installed at the dealer (obviously not things like PP, etc.)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM

E63 AMG
i changed my color a month after i ordered mine with no problem