need a little car electrical 101

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
need a little car electrical 101

i know there are threads on hardwiring radar detectors. i've read them and they didn't address this question, probably because it's too basic ...

how about just inserting a fuse tap into #119 in the cockpit fuse box, which is 7.5A and runs the rear AC (so i assume it turns off and on with the ignition)? i was thinking of just buying something like this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...mann_5080114-p

i think this will work, just don't want to short something out (yes, i am pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical, plus electricity scares me).

thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
i know there are threads on hardwiring radar detectors. i've read them and they didn't address this question, probably because it's too basic ...

how about just inserting a fuse tap into #119 in the cockpit fuse box, which is 7.5A and runs the rear AC (so i assume it turns off and on with the ignition)? i was thinking of just buying something like this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...mann_5080114-p

i think this will work, just don't want to short something out (yes, i am pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical, plus electricity scares me).

thanks.
in case it wasn't clear, this was a question as to whether my suggestion would work, not a statement, so if anyone has any input, it'd be appreciated. thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
If you're a bit apprehensive to tap into the mirror housing or fuse box, you can do what I did and that's just run an extended power wire from the glove box outlet up the passenger pillar & tucking the wire along the roof liner to your desired spot. Takes less than 5 mins. If you want the detector to be on the driver side, like me, there is actually a hollow tube that spans the entire length of the dash, just snake the power wire through it and up the driver side pillar. Takes a bit longer & some fiddling but similarly easy.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the info, that was my plan b, actually. but looks like it turning into plan a.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
That tap you posted looks like it will work for your positive 12v supply. If you can find it in a 7.5 amp rating it would be better as that is what is in there currently for a fuse rating. You may damage your rear AC or cause an overheating of the circuit or fire if there is a problem with the rear AC circuit and the fuse does not blow on time. You will also need to find a good ground location.

If you buy an inexpensive test light you will be able to test when the circuit is active and if it is switched with the ignition or not. It might be on a timed circuit or controlled by the main AC control.

Does your fuse chart give the voltage rating at that fuse. A multimeter will be needed to verify that the circuit is 12 volts or something else. Is 12 volts the requirement for the radar detector?

If you supply too high a voltage to your detector you stand a good chance of burning something out in its circuitry.