C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

NJ Winter Tires - Need 'em?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
NJ Winter Tires - Need 'em?

This will be my first winter with the C63.

Does anyone in the northeast have any tips?

This is my daily driver... 30 highway miles each way to work.
I bought this to bring a smile to my face each day and it has delivered.

The dealer suggested a winter set of rims and tires... is the standard tactic? Is there a best place to buy these? (I bought the tire and rim warranty from the dealer and I have to check if they only cover what they sell me.)

Thanks for any tips. I have a friend with a C63 who didn't buy anything, but last winter had virtually no snow here.

Thx.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Get a set of 18" after market wheels... lots of options... and a set of Blizzak LM-60 tires and you will be just fine. I got my 18" replica wheels from Powerwheelspro.com but there are lots of options available.

If you drive the car with summer tires in even a light dusting of snow you are just asking for a problem. If you do a search, there are a lot of threads on this topic with LOTS of advice. My advice... you drive a $70k+ car with 450+ hp so don't listen to anyone who suggests you can get through a winter without good winter tires. it is worth the $2k investment in cheap 18" wheels and good winter tires. If you don't want after market wheels, use your OEM wheels and swap out the tires.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
I've had my C63 for a while and this thing has never seen snow yet, but I'd like to give it a shot this winter.

I read somewhere that if the snow isn't TOO bad in your area that you shouldn't get super winter tires because if it's not being used in snow they're terrible is that true? I'm assuming with this much power that regular all seasons is out of the question and I need true dedicated snows?

OP, where you from in NJ? I'm from jersey city and i drive 38 miles each way to work too lol
Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Here is my 2 cents.

if you are in an area where there is even a bit of snow.. or a chance to freeze over, get winter tires. our cars are RWD + lots of power = we should always go the route of better safe than sorry. All it takes is one slip or slide and you might regret it for a long time.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Fung63
All it takes is one slip or slide and you might regret it for a long time...
... if you're still alive!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by drawde
I've had my C63 for a while and this thing has never seen snow yet, but I'd like to give it a shot this winter.

I read somewhere that if the snow isn't TOO bad in your area that you shouldn't get super winter tires because if it's not being used in snow they're terrible is that true? I'm assuming with this much power that regular all seasons is out of the question and I need true dedicated snows?

OP, where you from in NJ? I'm from jersey city and i drive 38 miles each way to work too lol
Obviously all seasons are jack of all trades. It would be ideal to have a separate set of winter tires. If you have another car that can use a smaller width, it will be even better. Smaller width and bigger side wall is the best for wintry weather.

It's best to have winter tires if temp is consistently less than 45 degrees F. Below that, summer tires becomes like hocky pucks. Thus winter tires make it safer even if there is no ice or snow on the road. I had that hocky puck experience last winter and almost unable to make it home and will have none of it any more.

Yes, the road is going to chew up your winter tires in no time if you use it during non winter temperature. Moreover, winter tires handle poorly on non-winter road surface.

Oh, I remember Jersey City quite well--potholes and horrible road surface just like any other major cities in the snow belt. That 2000-2001 snow storm sure was crippling. I lived near little India at the time.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
^--- +1

All season tires are no season tires... acceptable in most conditions but not great in any.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM

C63 AMG
Once you drive on snow tires, you will not want to drive on anything else during the winter. My old M3 with snow tires handled BETTER (stops, steers, accelerates) than my X5 or Quattro A4 when there's snow on the ground. Now that I have snows on everything, my A4 handles the best.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
This will be my first winter with the C63.

Does anyone in the northeast have any tips?

This is my daily driver... 30 highway miles each way to work.
I bought this to bring a smile to my face each day and it has delivered.

The dealer suggested a winter set of rims and tires... is the standard tactic? Is there a best place to buy these? (I bought the tire and rim warranty from the dealer and I have to check if they only cover what they sell me.)

Thanks for any tips. I have a friend with a C63 who didn't buy anything, but last winter had virtually no snow here.

Thx.
I'm selling (4) used Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D(235/40R18) tires that I used for 2 winters(December thru February). Only 6 months of use. They were great in the snow and surprisingly well on dry ground too. Asking $400 local pick-up. I can send you pictures if you like. I'm in northern NJ fyi.