C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Anyone run all-seasons in the winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Anyone run all-seasons in the winter?

My summer tires are nearly shot after a summer of hard driving.

I need to put new rubber on, but the temperatures are starting to drop here and it will be winter soon.

I don't count on this car in the winter, I have a winter beater I use for the terrible snowy days.

That said, Calgary gets lots of sun and often warms up so the roads are just wet and a little slushy, or it is cold out but dry.

Rather than going with winter tires I'm contemplating a set of Michelin all seasons in the same 245/275 configuration I run in the summer... the thought being they should give decent enough peformance and I could run them from now until the weather is definitely warm enough to switch back to summer tires, and not have to worry about the temp falling below 7 degress C.

My concern is how they will feel compared to winter tires at say -15 or -10 C... are they driveable?

TIA
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
there is no way that all-season tires will do anything good for a C63 on any kind of snow...

i think it is well worth few extra $100 for snow tires.

that's definitely a department where I wouldn't take a shortcut.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by WWMIndy
there is no way that all-season tires will do anything good for a C63 on any kind of snow...

i think it is well worth few extra $100 for snow tires.

that's definitely a department where I wouldn't take a shortcut.
+1
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
You need dedicated winter tires in Calgary. Don't bother with all-seasons.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
No way--I lived in Lethbridge for 4 years. Just use the beater. Those roads out there are horrible in the winter, waiting for a Chinook to clean them up. If I were fortunate enough to have a C63, I would never drive it out there in the winter. Not a chance.

Last edited by FraKctured; 09-11-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
My summer tires are nearly shot after a summer of hard driving.

I need to put new rubber on, but the temperatures are starting to drop here and it will be winter soon.

I don't count on this car in the winter, I have a winter beater I use for the terrible snowy days.

That said, Calgary gets lots of sun and often warms up so the roads are just wet and a little slushy, or it is cold out but dry.

Rather than going with winter tires I'm contemplating a set of Michelin all seasons in the same 245/275 configuration I run in the summer... the thought being they should give decent enough peformance and I could run them from now until the weather is definitely warm enough to switch back to summer tires, and not have to worry about the temp falling below 7 degress C.

My concern is how they will feel compared to winter tires at say -15 or -10 C... are they driveable?

TIA
DUDE ... basically the words All-Seasons, RWD and CANADA always end in this:
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
with our cars, you will need a good set of snow tires for the winter (esp where you are) if you want to ensure your car is still in 1 piece for the next summer.

for the c63, 2 sets of tires is a must. all seasons really suck for our cars... too dangerous in the winter and not enough fun in the summer. the other option is to bring out your beater early... but why do that?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I just ordered a set of Conti DWS. But I'm in NJ/NYC, where we don't get much snow. And mine isn't a daily driver. If I were where you are, I'd get a dedicated set of snow tires on some funky colored wheels (like orange or lime haha).
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM

2014 E63 S
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I'm born and raised in AB, so I know how bad the roads can get. I have two AWD vehicles with winter tires that do the heavy lifting in such conditions, so I can pick my spots with the C63. My car would never be out there if there is snow or extreme cold, and will probably sit in my garage for the months of December and January.

But Calgary winters are mild in the late fall early winter, and last January we had a warm patch where I actually put summers on for two weeks. I don't wanna drive my beater for 6 months straight, and the C63 feels like junk with skinny winter tires on it.

Then there is also the spring where it can take forever to see average temperatures get above 7 degrees, and having tires on that can deal with this transition period is appealing, as opposed to trying perfomance driving on winter tires.

So I take it no one here has run them?

If not is there a winter tire out there that has decent enough dry road perfomance that can handle the 6.2 L motor?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Don't bother with the all seasons, they'll perform like crap in the dry, and kill you in the snow. I've had the pleasure of driving a C63 non P31 non chipped with a set of AS's, and I swear it performed worse than my C63 with Ice Bear W300's in the dry.

If you already have a winter beater, get another set of summers, and on good chinook days with temps in the double digits, take the C63 out for a rip. That's pretty much what I did with the CLK Black when I had it here over the winter. Was able to get a solid 3 or 4 extra weeks of driving on the good days. Just don't go into residential areas in the burbs, they don't get plowed! haha

For your last question there, I went with the Ice Bear W300's. They're "ok" in the snow, I never got stuck with them in my C63, although in slush, especially parking, it's not really ideal and it wants to get stuck. But by far the best dry grip on the cold dry days compared to anything else. I pretty much don't get wheelspin past 1st gear as long as there's not a huge amount of salt, and my car was chipped to 500hp.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 PM

2014 E63 S
Thanks Rage I was hoping you'd see this thread.

Are you keeping summers on your BS all winter?

When you had your winter tires on did you run 255 or 275 in the back?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
vredestein makes a performance winter tire, i think it's called wintrac extreme, i had those on my car during the winter, iirc, 245 and 265 on the stock rims. adequate traction in light snow, good in wet, good enough on dry in cold weather.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I ordered the Continental DWS tires. Plan to mount them this Saturday. I've read stellar reviews on them and the M3 community seems to swear by them.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
well of course im in texas and it never snows but a year or two ago it snowed like a foot. i wasnt going anywhere but i needed to drive one day in it. i had to go about 5-10 miles an hour all the way and i was completely out of control. trucks were passing me like i was standing still.

ug.

ill never do that again.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
Thanks Rage I was hoping you'd see this thread.

Are you keeping summers on your BS all winter?

When you had your winter tires on did you run 255 or 275 in the back?
I thought you had my phone #, you could always txt me or post on beyond, I'm there more often haha.

Summers staying on the CBS. Hopefully I'll find a few days to take it out for a rip this winter. Here's hoping for a mild winter!

I ran staggered OEM sizes on the C63. The guys that ran non stagger sizes, 235's all around I think, was complaining of heavy oversteer when it's dry, but cut through slush much better in poor weather.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
I run Continental DWS' on all my high performance vehicles - snow or not, cold temps stack the odds against AMGs, and Conti DWS' have beaten Blizzaks, other all-seasons, etc. in both the cold and snow.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
NO NO NO - winter tires are a must, not just for the snow, but for safe traction in the freezing temperatures.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by BK63amg
NO NO NO - winter tires are a must, not just for the snow, but for safe traction in the freezing temperatures.
+1 Softer rubber=better traction at -20C.

I would never, ever, drive a C63 in the winter in Calgary or in Alberta or in Montana or in...

Let the beater get beat and give the unicorn some time off.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by FraKctured
+1 Softer rubber=better traction at -20C.

I would never, ever, drive a C63 in the winter in Calgary or in Alberta or in Montana or in...

Let the beater get beat and give the unicorn some time off.
Haha the C63 was my dedicated winter car in Calgary.

Was prob the most fun winter car I owned until the 911 Turbo.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by rage2
Haha the C63 was my dedicated winter car in Calgary.

Was prob the most fun winter car I owned until the 911 Turbo.
You're a braver man than I, Gungha Din!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I ran the DWS for a while in both Winter and Summer in the DC Metro area (my car is my daily too).

They worked just fine as long as you drive appropriately, even in the moderate snow we occasionally get (but usually is cleared quickly)..

They also worked just fine in Summer. I drive my car like I stole.. but not as hard as I would on the track.. if you are not planning on tracking, the DWS is a fine set of tires for what they are, all seasons.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Segway
Originally Posted by ddcha
I ordered the Continental DWS tires. Plan to mount them this Saturday. I've read stellar reviews on them and the M3 community seems to swear by them.
Have them on my EVO and they are amazing tires for what they are designed to do. Very good in every condition I have put them through - snow, wet and hard summer driving.

They last forever also.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
I ran the DWS for a while in both Winter and Summer in the DC Metro area (my car is my daily too).

They worked just fine as long as you drive appropriately, even in the moderate snow we occasionally get (but usually is cleared quickly)..

They also worked just fine in Summer. I drive my car like I stole.. but not as hard as I would on the track.. if you are not planning on tracking, the DWS is a fine set of tires for what they are, all seasons.
DC Metro area winters are a lot different than Alberta winters at high elevation. It's the temps that keep us away from AS tires. We see temps dip into the -30 to -40 range, where you NEED winter rubber to handle those temps, even if it's dry.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
AWD vs RWD

Originally Posted by slfmde
Have them on my EVO and they are amazing tires for what they are designed to do. Very good in every condition I have put them through - snow, wet and hard summer driving.

They last forever also.
You can't compare traction between an AWD Evo with a RWD nuclear powerplant C63. With that being said, I still put winter tires on my Evo.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
A question like this is frustrating because so many people just regurgitate what they read without having actual experience. I asked a similar question about PSS' and luckily folks who had experience themselves chimed in.

I have driven through winter on all-seasons - Pilot A/S to be exact - and had ZERO issues in cold weather, wet weather, or dry weather. In fact, they were great tires in dry and wet. HOWEVER - when it started to snow, the car wasnt UNDRIVEABLE, but it wasnt very safe. Any snow/ice should result in you finding the nearest place to park.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone run all-seasons in the winter?