C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

So what is the downside of wrapping a car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
So what is the downside of wrapping a car?

Seems to be the trend, wrapping a car in either clear form to protect the original paint look or matte finish. What is the downside other than cost? As someone that has no idea the engineering behind the film, I would be worried that it would damage the paint. Isnt the factory paint meant to "breathe"? Is there a risk that the film will "lift" the paint, etc.? Guess I am wondering what the detractors would say. Talk me out of wrapping my Black Series when it gets here. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM

2011 C63 Calcite White
I think you gotta be careful when taking it out for a hand wash, i m not sure though lol only thought of it because one of the many car hand wash companies in my city had hella complains about ripping their vinyl wrap
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
SLS
All my answers are going to be based on my understanding of true protective wraps, not vinyl wraps (whose sole purpose is to change color, not protect).

Yes, there's a risk it'll peal off paint when you remove the wrap. If you have a good installer install it properly, and have a good installer (probably the same people) remove it when you want it removed, you likely have nothing to worry about. Also, so long as the paint has cured properly, you'll likely have nothing to worry about. (This is more of an issue for resprayed panels, as opposed to factory paint.) Also, MB supposedly uses some of the best clear coat out there, and it's one of the hardest on the market.

I don't think paint is meant to breathe, breathing implies oxidation, and oxidation is bad. This is why people put layers and layers of wax on top of sealants, etc.

I will be wrapping my BS when it arrives. And these guys will be doing it: http://www.premiermobilegroup.com

They've posted a few threads on MBWorld, but they generally post on other (more generic) sites. Most of the cars they do are high end / exotic / rare / limited editions. And they go as far as removing easily removed panels to ensure that the wrap goes on the inside to prevent pealing and to avoid having those unsightly lines.

I will be doing a matte wrap, so maintenance is as simple as washing gently, and nothing more. There's a matte sealant out there (Dr. Beasley's) that I will also use to protect the wrap once every ~6 months (same recommended care for matte paint, basically). If you do a clear/glossy wrap, the recommended care is the same as the recommended care for glossy paint.

If you get it done by a really awesome installer, cost is generally pretty high... can be up to 3x more than a non-awesome installer. But, in the end, you do get what you pay for.

As for material, there are three out there that people swear by. Prestige Films (what Premier uses -- see link above), 3M VentureShield, and XPEL. All three have both glossy and matte film.

Vinyl wrap doesn't protect since it's 1 - 3mm thick. The ones mentioned above are 6 - 8mm thick.

Last edited by GrnLantern; 09-24-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added detail about matte paint sealant
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 PM

SLS
Wow, that post was longer than I expected.

Hopefully you find that useful.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM

SLS
Originally Posted by TerryHollp
I think you gotta be careful when taking it out for a hand wash
Not if wrapped properly, or if you take it to a proper detailer (or both).

(Or do it yourself if you're that worried.)

In the end, the wrap is supposed to protect your wrap and bring you peace of mind. If it doesn't, then you wasted your money.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by c63addix
I think you gotta be careful when taking it out for a hand wash, i m not sure though lol only thought of it because one of the many car hand wash companies in my city had hella complains about ripping their vinyl wrap
I've wrapped my last 4 cars. 2 clear, and 2 matte. If anything, it makes washing much easier. Zero water spots, tougher than clearcoat. I'm super lazy now when it comes to car washes. Sponge and towel, which would normally destroy clearcoat. The film is tough to scratch.

The only time I've seen film damage are from people that power wash up close, that rips and tears the film.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 PM

SLS
Originally Posted by rage2
I've wrapped my last 4 cars. 2 clear, and 2 matte. If anything, it makes washing much easier. Zero water spots, tougher than clearcoat. I'm super lazy now when it comes to car washes. Sponge and towel, which would normally destroy clearcoat. The film is tough to scratch.

The only time I've seen film damage are from people that power wash up close, that rips and tears the film.
+1, and definitely +1 to getting super lazy because of good/high quality wraps.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
From conversations with my body shop guy, it doesn't matter how good of a wrap job is done, it'll bubble within a couple of years.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:42 AM

SLS
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
From conversations with my body shop guy, it doesn't matter how good of a wrap job is done, it'll bubble within a couple of years.
Yeah, I heard that too. I'm hoping that won't be the case, though, I believe Premier has a 5 year warranty against bubbling or peeling.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 AM

Big White Marshmallow
Just Wrapped my car Matte White, hand wash my baby every night, with very mild soap, not a lot of elbow grease though either. When I first spray down the car majority of the dirty comes right off, I use some all purpose cleaner for harder spots, but I am really happy with the turn out..... Let me know if your local in the bay area, I have a good connection.
Originally Posted by jtrichel
Seems to be the trend, wrapping a car in either clear form to protect the original paint look or matte finish. What is the downside other than cost? As someone that has no idea the engineering behind the film, I would be worried that it would damage the paint. Isnt the factory paint meant to "breathe"? Is there a risk that the film will "lift" the paint, etc.? Guess I am wondering what the detractors would say. Talk me out of wrapping my Black Series when it gets here. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:40 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Yeah, I heard that too. I'm hoping that won't be the case, though, I believe Premier has a 5 year warranty against bubbling or peeling.
but they charge so much!!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 AM

Big White Marshmallow
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder the end process is what most people enjoy, the cost is inevitable!

Originally Posted by farhadahmad
but they charge so much!!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM

2013 C63 Black Series
I am not as concerned about the cost, bubbling, etc. I just want to know that there is no way the film will damage the paint, either going on, staying on or when coming off...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
If done correctly, the paint will be fine. However, the biggest issue, is that if there is any debris, dirt or contaminants under the wrap when it is installed, that stuff will act like sandpaper and destroy the paint in that area.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
Paint protection film doesn't bubble (if installed properly). Vinyl will bubble. I did a writeup with pics here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/4780429-post9.html

I am not as concerned about the cost, bubbling, etc. I just want to know that there is no way the film will damage the paint, either going on, staying on or when coming off...
If you park in the sun often, the film lasts 4-5 years. The glue eventually breaks down. If the car is garaged and not exposed to sun all the time, the film (glue) will last ~7 years. If you're paranoid, remove and rewrap the car every 5 years.

You can tell when the film is getting old, it has a brittle feeling to it, instead of soft plastic.

Even then, the only difference is that old worn film/glue is a PITA to remove. Once removed, and detailed, the paint is good as new.

Watch out for crappy installers. There's a member here that went to a local shop who's run/hires high school kids that don't give a *****, and cut the paint when trimming the 3m. Paint cut marks all over the car!

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
If done correctly, the paint will be fine. However, the biggest issue, is that if there is any debris, dirt or contaminants under the wrap when it is installed, that stuff will act like sandpaper and destroy the paint in that area.
Any good installer will detail each panel before install.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Geez, 4-5 years, 7 years.... that is a lifetime when it comes to cars
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM

SLS
Geez, 4-5 years, 7 years.... that is a lifetime when it comes to cars
Yup. I can't remember the last time I kept a car for 5 years.

Either way, just get it re-wrapped every 5 and you'll be fine. The important things:

1) Find a very qualified installer.
2) Use only the finest materials.
3) Re-wrap every 4 or 5 years depending on abuse and where you park and what the climate/weather is like in your area.

That's what I'll be doing.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Yup. I can't remember the last time I kept a car for 5 years.

Either way, just get it re-wrapped every 5 and you'll be fine. The important things:

1) Find a very qualified installer.
2) Use only the finest materials.
3) Re-wrap every 4 or 5 years depending on abuse and where you park and what the climate/weather is like in your area.

That's what I'll be doing.
I wonder who the "best" is in Texas/Austin for this... will need to do some research...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Any suggestions on finding a great source for wrap in Austin, TX? My takeaway from this thread is that the "who" does the wrap, makes all the difference in the world. I dont mind spending a premium to have it done right. I am thinking about copying Rage's car

Ideally, would prefer to not spend an additional $2k for shipping round trip out of my city. That starts to make this cost prohibitive, if you budget up to $5k+ for the wrap itself.

thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Any suggestions on finding a great source for wrap in Austin, TX? My takeaway from this thread is that the "who" does the wrap, makes all the difference in the world. I dont mind spending a premium to have it done right. I am thinking about copying Rage's car
Give XPEL a call, they're in San Antonio. That's the film that I used. I'm 99% certain that they do installs there as well, as I've seen them post some of the cars they've done on various Porsche, Ferrari and Lambo forums.

Here's your template...

Let me know if you need more info.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Ok who is my best wrap vendor in Orange County, CA??

Last edited by Vic55; 10-01-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Thanks Rage! San Antonio is an hour drive from me no problem. Great info!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ninjamike510
Just Wrapped my car Matte White, hand wash my baby every night, with very mild soap, not a lot of elbow grease though either. When I first spray down the car majority of the dirty comes right off, I use some all purpose cleaner for harder spots, but I am really happy with the turn out..... Let me know if your local in the bay area, I have a good connection.
Buddy, you either need a life, or our a stone cold liar. Who in their right minds washes a car EVER night

Anyway, tell the truth, or seek help please